Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 06:23 PM

7,019 posts, read 6,228,721 times

Advertisements

Also think of the cost of living. California is expensive. Depending on your age, is it time to think of retirement planning? Do you want to sink all your money into existing or living well.

All factors to be considered. There are a lot of states which have been mentioned which are nice & with a much lower cost of living.

Something to think about when making your decision.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:45 AM

371 posts, read 372,963 times
When I decided to move out of California I had a hard time even getting my husband to think or talk about it (change is not his best friend). So I made a questionnaire about his ideal place, with a questions like

summers: hot and dry? cool and dry? cool and humid? hot and humid?
what kind of neighbors: none visible? commuters? retirees? small farms? agribusiness?
how close to city with cultural amenities?
how close to town with large hardware store, grocery store, medical?
do you need to see the ocean? mountains? plains?

There were lots of questions, and each had also to be ranked in importance from 1 to 5

We both did the quiz and I tallied it up. Turns out the only places that met most of each of our important criteria were the Willamette Valley in Oregon, and New England. When our daughter settled in Massachusetts, that decided us. But we learned a lot about each others' preferences that way!

Old 01-29-2018, 01:28 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,623,423 times
San Antonio is pretty humid but it's affordable and there is alot of family oriented stuff to do. Overall it's a nice city.

No state income tax in Texas

Las Vegas would be fine too since you plan on homeschooling. Weather here is fabulous 9 months out of the year. Also no state income tax however the desire for "land" might make it prohibitively expensive to get what you are wanting.

Old 01-29-2018, 05:39 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,226,973 times
Not far from the IE, is Yuma, AZ....it would make a weekend exploratory trip easy. Town of about 90K, (population swells in winter when snowbirds arrive) has an airport, but connection choices are few if your husband flies to destinations. Year round boating/fishing on the river, hiking/biking in the mountains, your grocery dollar buys more, your real estate dollar buys more, and you are close to CA if you want to visit...SD is 180 miles, and minutes from MX.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 01-29-2018, 08:45 AM

25,625 posts, read 21,793,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
You should consider a place that gets a little snow. Lots of places in Arkansas, Tennessee and North Carolina that would probably be a good fit.

We chose Northwest Arkansas but are no longer working. It has snowed twice this year, once 1 inch the 2nd time about 2 inches. The roads were clear both times. There are a lot of car dealerships in this metro of approx 500,000. I think you need to look at what size metro your husband will need to support his job.
The southern states would most likely be too humid, I have lived in NC (freezing rain) and KY by the TN border (freezing rain).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
San Antonio is pretty humid but it's affordable and there is alot of family oriented stuff to do. Overall it's a nice city.

No state income tax in Texas

Las Vegas would be fine too since you plan on homeschooling. Weather here is fabulous 9 months out of the year. Also no state income tax however the desire for "land" might make it prohibitively expensive to get what you are wanting.
I did AF basic training at Lackland AFB in San Antonio area. It was the worst humidity and heat in the summer that I had to endure ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Not far from the IE, is Yuma, AZ....it would make a weekend exploratory trip easy. Town of about 90K, (population swells in winter when snowbirds arrive) has an airport, but connection choices are few if your husband flies to destinations. Year round boating/fishing on the river, hiking/biking in the mountains, your grocery dollar buys more, your real estate dollar buys more, and you are close to CA if you want to visit...SD is 180 miles, and minutes from MX.

Regards
Gemstone1
I think this is the best suggestion so far ^^^. Some of the cities/states mentioned would bring a severe case of "culture" shock that could be avoided in Yuma.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:43 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,226,973 times
Yuma chamber of Commerce

City of Yuma website

Boating guide to the Lower Colorado River

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 01-29-2018, 12:46 PM

127,937 posts, read 11,801,010 times
Far North california, Sierra Nevada foothills. No snow at lower elevations, & no humidity.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:59 AM

26,870 posts, read 43,348,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Far North california, Sierra Nevada foothills. No snow at lower elevations, & no humidity.
I agree somewhat though would throw out recommendations like Redding or Eureka-Arcata which are more likely to have the employment options needed. Eureka-Arcata has more of a consistent maritime climate with mild summers/winters and Redding has the mild winters with hot/dry summers. Neither gets snow/ice much at all though traces do occur.

Old 02-04-2018, 03:01 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,853,112 times
Las Vegas or Phoenix

Old 02-10-2018, 12:32 AM

4,513 posts, read 2,492,500 times
El Paso TX.
Las Cruces, NM
El Paso is one of the safest cities of its size in the country. Fairly low cost of living. Some good schools. Little humidity, and maybe 1 day with snow flurries. Ski resorts and trees, lakes are 2 hrs north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues