Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2018, 09:48 AM

10 posts, read 22,873 times

Advertisements

Hello All-

I'm looking for others on the CD forums who have possibly been a similar situation to mine.

Here is the shortened, condensed version.

(I'm 25/M)

January 2017, moved to Denver, CO for a new job from Nashville, TN. I was actually born in Denver, so moving back has always been a desire of mine. In December, I lost my job due to circumstances out of my control. I've decided to switch career paths, which has increased the difficulty of finding a job. Here in Denver, I've had some leads but I've actually had more opportunities arise in Nashville. I'm coming to the realization that my professional connections, family and friends are all back in Nashville not to mention lower cost of living/no state income taxes I've thought about a move back.

I did a pro/con list between the two and Nashville definitely overshot my reasoning to stay here. But, I'm still reserved because (as for those of you that live in Colorado know) Denver is a great city to be in.

Has anyone else been in this situation or a similar one?

1. How did you make your decision to stay or leave?
2. If you left, did you regret your departure?
3. Any advice for me?

Best,
C

Old 02-01-2018, 11:06 AM

910 posts, read 1,082,198 times
I think you need to look at this from a long term perspective. I moved across the country 4 years ago, and I would never go back. Buy my move was from a high cost of living, crowded state with insane real estate prices, to a much cheaper state that will never be overcrowded. I moved away from all of my friends, all of my family, all of my spouses family. We moved from Florida, to Montana.

You need to consider the following.

Can your chosen career continue in Denver, Nashville.

Are you interested in eventually starting a family, if so, where would you rather raise your children.

At the current rate of increase, would the cost of living be sustainable for you in the long run.

What activities do you enjoy that aren't available in the other location.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:51 AM

522 posts, read 715,541 times
Good advice. Just cfollow your heart and do what's best for you.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:15 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times
That's a tough question & decision you have to make. Years ago, in my middle 30's I moved from Minnesota to San Francisco. I had family in both places so had backup in either place.

Three years later I lost the job in San Francisco & returned to Minneapolis. Since I'd lived there for so many years, it was easy for me to find a job & gradually make a good salary.

I missed San Francisco but if I'd stayed it could have become worse as jobs were hard to come by & rents skyrocketed. So it was the best for me.

Do I wish I could have made it there? Yes. It's a fascinating place to live. But I had to be realistic & now that I'm retired, I'm glad of the choice I made.

When I look back, I couldn't even afford to buy a TV. The majority of my money went to rent. But I lived next to Golden Gate park & spent a lot of time either there or at the beach.

This is a decision only you can make.

Old 02-01-2018, 03:17 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
My daughter moved to Denver a few years ago too. She likes it but doesn't love it. Too many people have found it to be a great city and it is overwhelmed with newcomers. the population has outgrown the city. Everything is overwhelmed, roads, highways, restaurants, bars, schools, even the zoo. Real estate is in an explosively expanding bubble cost of living had gotten out of control. Crime seems to be returning at least in some areas. Air pollution is horrible.

It certainly offers a lot of positives to balance out the problems (hence she is still there) but it is no longer a great place to live. Maybe they will catch up with the growth eventually. Denver might get better, it might just keep getting worse. No one knows.

At least with Nashville, you know what you are going to get. It may change some, but not dramatically and not out of control.

Old 02-01-2018, 03:28 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,585 times
I don't think I'm in the same boat, but the negatives I keep hearing about Denver seem to swamp any real progress I make on following through on a job offer in the area.
I moved from the CA desert out to eastern NM five years ago. While the small town thing is okay for now, the one thing that keeps me wanting to move along again sometime is from becoming the "old guy in town".
At first, the Denver area seemed like a good sell when I went through there as an over-the-road trucker several years ago. But recent trips back and forth as a regular "car tourist" to the area have opened my eyes to more of the things that people leaving the area complain about.
Also, finding a job that doesn't wear me out as much, but keeps the bills paid is key, too.

I'd say if you spent a good chunk of time and know Nashville well enough as you already do, I say head back south and deal with whatever consequences later.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:12 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,517,842 times
At 25 you can move several places before it’s going to really hurt you. Had a friend who was 29 and moved to St. Louis for two weeks and got the heck out of there.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:41 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
There are so many great places just outside of the Denver area I have to believe there's somewhere you'll love. But employment is a factor. No reason not to have some kind of job in Denver. Help Wanted signs everywhere.

Are you just restless and searching for something but you don't know what? If so, there's a reason you left Nashville. On the other hand maybe you were hasty in leaving.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:06 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Try not to think of every decision as final. You CAN move from state to state as often as you wish. It's important to try new things and follow your dreams. It won't always work out, but you'll always wonder "what if..." if you don't try it.

And it's OK to say, "This isn't working out, I'm going back where I was." It's not a failure, it's successful completion of an experiment.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:09 PM

731 posts, read 935,576 times
It seems to me that most people who regret moving back home again do because they forgot the reasons that they left.

If you were unhappy in Nashville, I'm not sure I would move back. But if you were just looking for a cool new experience in a mountain state, then I would say going back to Nashville might be a smart move.

I also concur that you should look ahead. Could you see yourself starting a family? If so, move where you'll have support and the living will be easier (kids are a challenge all by themselves - you don't need to add in a ridiculously high mortgage and a wicked commute!)

I just moved out of Seattle to a smaller city, due to the same things that are plaguing Denver and I don't regret it one bit! I was a native to the Seattle area, but couldn't handle the overcrowding and rapid cost increases.

Nashville is booming, too! Maybe you should get in while it's still doable, in case it keeps going up! Denver has already peaked. Get on the Nashville elevator!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.