Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2018, 08:27 AM

80 posts, read 96,221 times

Advertisements

Hello folks!

We (pregnant wife due in 4 months and 3 year old) will be moving from STL to DFW for a new job. My company has agreed to give me a few months to sell and buy my house, so I will be traveling every other week to corporate office albeit at my own expense since relo package has given me a lump sum. However, I want to save where ever I can. The relocation package also includes up to 6 months of paying for my mortgage payment LESS principle, which will still be a big help since the mortgage is only 3 years old. What do you guys think would be the best strategy?

1. Quickly find a home in DFW and purchase. Then worry about selling my home?
2. List my home for sell and hold off on the new home and see how the market reacts? Basically play it by ear?
3. Any other best strategy?

I would rent a home but the company's relocation package will expire in 12 months and I want to take advantage of the closing cost coverage. Also, my wife and I do not want to move again.

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 10:15 AM

8,149 posts, read 8,350,911 times
List your house and start house hunting now so you can narrow your seach to specific areas. With Spring approaching the market typically has more buyers and often bidding wars keep buyers in the hunting mode for longer than planned.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:54 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KORJK81 View Post
We (pregnant wife due in 4 months and 3 year old) will be moving from STL to DFW for a new job.
My company has agreed to give me a few months to sell and buy my house...
The relocation package also includes up to 6 months of paying for my mortgage payment LESS principle...
I bet they think they're being generous too.

Quote:
What do you guys think would be the best strategy?
You really don't have the luxury of a 'best' strategy.
Sell in STL asap for the best price you can get.

Quote:
I would rent a home but the company's relocation package will expire in 12 months...
Frankly I wouldn't be in any hurry to buy again once in Texas.
Pick a nice rental in a good school district and then settle in.

Work for the promotion and THEN buy or
keep a wary eye out for the next transfer.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:16 PM

80 posts, read 96,221 times
Are you saying the market is becoming flat in DFW area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I bet they think they're being generous too.

You really don't have the luxury of a 'best' strategy.
Sell in STL asap for the best price you can get.

Frankly I wouldn't be in any hurry to buy again once in Texas.
Pick a nice rental in a good school district and then settle in.

Work for the promotion and THEN buy or
keep a wary eye out for the next transfer.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:56 PM

10 posts, read 8,656 times
Rent a place in DFW and rent out your home in St. Louis. 12-month is a lot of time, I supposed you and your family will go back to St. Louis at some point? I am actually moving from Dallas to Boston in a month from now.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:10 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,008 times
List now to sell home. Contact a realtor in area you might move. If schools are an issue, research schools asap. They narrow your search to those areas. Have the realtor send you listings that meet your needs to get a feel for housing mkt. Once you get an offer, try to write up contrct with a 45-60 day close. Go to dfw and spend weekend house hunting after your option period/inspection period/financing contingency has passed.. If you like a home write up offer with contingency to sell your home, and make sure agent let's them know you are under contract and option period/financing contingency period has passed. Most sellers don't like accepting a contract with a contingency to sell other property but are much more likely to take it if they know your deal selling your house is past those points and looks solid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues