U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 04:35 PM

5,055 posts, read 6,025,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
What makes it tricky is that I could probably sell some stuff the instant I know but then might be left without a couch/bed/furniture for a week or something.
I bought an inflatable bed at Target (not an air mattress, an actual bed), and I hung onto 3 TV snack tables and 2 folding chairs. Those all packed into the car and came to Iowa with me so I had the most important furniture on both ends. I used the TV snack tables to eat on, as a night stand, and as a desk.

It's called "roughing it." No, it's not totally comfy, but I've learned to get by for short periods with a bare minimum.

They also make inflatable couches for camping. If you must have a couch, that might be a solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 04:38 PM

9,155 posts, read 8,671,947 times
Habitat for Humanity picked up household goods I wanted to donate for resale, and were flexible about the pickup date.

https://www.habitat.org/restores

Old 03-15-2018, 05:00 PM

5,677 posts, read 6,778,300 times
Quote:
Let's say a cross country move comes up quick and you choose to get rid of most of your possessions and buy new one's when arriving at your destination. I have all sorts of things to unload: couches, beds, other furniture etc...

I would obviously try to sell some stuff but I think on such short notice it might be hard to sell for much if anything. What would you do to get rid of your stuff if you had no luck selling it and you had to move in a couple days time? Have a sign in the front yard - free stuff inside? lol Rent a dumpster?
I made one move where all I took was what would fit in one Army duffle bag. Everything else I just left neatly in the house for the next occupant to use or dispose of as they wished.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:03 PM

3,981 posts, read 1,704,754 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone. Great suggestions.

What makes it tricky is that I could probably sell some stuff the instant I know but then might be left without a couch/bed/furniture for a week or something. It's almost less stressful to give most of it away on the last day/next to last day. My stuff isn't valuable. I'm thinking if I took my time over a month I might get grand or so total for everything. But much less on short notice.
What I did when I moved last time (someone else was waiting at my house for pickup of my stuff because I had very little notice) was bring one tiny chair in my car, sheets, a pillow, a set of silverware, a couple of cups and plates, and a few other basics with me. When I arrived, I got a cheap folding table and an air mattress that I can still use now if I have more than one person visit.

Habitat actually was able to come out the same day I called about a year ago. I would recommend calling charities, but keep in mind that they often will not accept items like mattresses. I believe Salvation Army will accept mattresses that are in good shape, but they typically take a while to come out. Take what you can to a place like Goodwill. Usually before I move anywhere, I always donate stuff that I no longer I want to Goodwill or someplace similar and try to give away other items to friends. Last time I had a bike I would not use in my current location since it is a beach cruiser and I moved to the Midwest, so that went to a friend.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:51 PM

5,055 posts, read 6,025,291 times
I didn't know they made these: inflatable couch that folds out into a queen bed:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Inf...&wl13=&veh=sem

Old 03-15-2018, 07:42 PM

10,831 posts, read 26,431,825 times
If you have a church nearby, ask if they have a ministry for such items, as some will collect good condition furniture to provide to people who may be setting up a new home on limited funds. Goodwill is hit or miss because they can be very finicky about what they will take, after you haul it there. The Salvation Army tends to be better in that regard. Even if you were without a sofa for a week, it would not be too big of a deal in the long run as the stress of disposing of furniture would be removed from the equation.

If you live in an apartment community, you could see if someone in the complex wants anything. You could also use Offer Up, Let Go, etc. in addition to the other apps and classifieds. I am not sure if those sites attract less of the odd set that one can sometimes encounter on Craigslist, but in any event, I'd actually use a throw away phone number and email for contacts during the sales process. It's not too expensive to buy a SIM card and a cheap prepaid service, but likely not worth the hassle if you're only going to project $1k from the sales.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-15-2018, 07:58 PM

5,666 posts, read 3,146,797 times
There are estate buyers who will buy an entire house contents for a lot price. Look for those in your community.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:12 PM

128 posts, read 139,055 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone. Great suggestions.

What makes it tricky is that I could probably sell some stuff the instant I know but then might be left without a couch/bed/furniture for a week or something. It's almost less stressful to give most of it away on the last day/next to last day. My stuff isn't valuable. I'm thinking if I took my time over a month I might get grand or so total for everything. But much less on short notice.
You could always just specify a pickup date of your choice.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:38 AM

38,239 posts, read 14,941,272 times
Eagle Scout in our neighborhood just picked up all our excess furniture. He is setting up apartments for an immigrant family.

I've given furniture to women coming out of crisis centers as well.

They rent pick up from Home Depot and haul it off.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:55 AM

611 posts, read 274,606 times
Sorry for the error in my post above.

The correct link is www.freecycle.org.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues