U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 08:12 AM

12,116 posts, read 10,245,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I made one move where all I took was what would fit in one Army duffle bag. Everything else I just left neatly in the house for the next occupant to use or dispose of as they wished.
The landlord allowed this? Anything I leave behind my landlord can charge me for removal of the items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 11:25 AM

3,804 posts, read 1,613,544 times
we're in the middle of a 2-week escrow. At first, the buyer said he didn't want any of our furniture, but them decided to take it all. Whew, what a relief, we were scrambling to get rid of it all.

We got rid of most of the junk and excess before putting the house on the market. Found a local family that would take absolutely anything, they would load up take it away.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:57 PM

275 posts, read 190,460 times
Around here a 40 yard dumpster is about $800 and that should empty just about any average house down to just about the studs. I've found through my contracting work in odd locations over the years that I can setup a new place to live for right about $500 if I bring a bed (air bed) and bedding, TV, folding chairs and a table, clothes, laptop, and some junk dishes and cookware with me. I've also discovered that I can pack all of that stuff up and shove it into the back of a Jeep Wrangler in 2 hours and be out of the place again in the same day if I need to. The last time I did that I also had a vacuum, mop, bucket, trash cans, nicer dishes, and all sorts of other crap with me too... ALL in a 2 door Wrangler stuffed to the gills. I have since bought a small station wagon for such adventures...

Anyhow... If "instant" is what you want, that plan is about as fast as it gets and I don't imagine it getting much cheaper.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:07 AM

5,678 posts, read 5,901,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Let's say a cross country move comes up quick and you choose to get rid of most of your possessions and buy new one's when arriving at your destination. I have all sorts of things to unload: couches, beds, other furniture etc...

I would obviously try to sell some stuff but I think on such short notice it might be hard to sell for much if anything. What would you do to get rid of your stuff if you had no luck selling it and you had to move in a couple days time? Have a sign in the front yard - free stuff inside? lol Rent a dumpster?
The Salvation Army will come and pick it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues