U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 10:20 AM

12,184 posts, read 10,363,776 times

Advertisements

Let's say a cross country move comes up quick and you choose to get rid of most of your possessions and buy new one's when arriving at your destination. I have all sorts of things to unload: couches, beds, other furniture etc...

I would obviously try to sell some stuff but I think on such short notice it might be hard to sell for much if anything. What would you do to get rid of your stuff if you had no luck selling it and you had to move in a couple days time? Have a sign in the front yard - free stuff inside? lol Rent a dumpster?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 10:59 AM

28,501 posts, read 62,182,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Let's say a cross country move comes up quick...
on such short notice it might be hard to sell for much if anything.

What would you do to get rid of your stuff ... in a couple days time?
Like with every other thread on the basic subject...
it comes down to the objective quality/value of your 'stuff'

If it has real market value... make a deal with a consignment place
or maybe some trusted friend in order to avoid the shipping bother & expense.

Quote:
Have a sign in the front yard - free stuff inside? Rent a dumpster?
If the objective quality/value of your stuff is low... sure something like that could work.
---

The small stuff however... that's what you want to pack up into boxes and ship.
The little things you see and use regularly WILL be missed.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:30 AM

497 posts, read 272,775 times
Post it under "free" on Craigslist. Put items outside for pickup.

Put items out on curb. In my neighborhood anything decent will be gone in a day or so.

Some thrift stores will pick up furniture donations.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:31 AM

1,728 posts, read 579,953 times
With those options, a month notice, I might put a sign up if I thought it was kind of fun and needed the little money I'd get for the big hassle of people coming and going and me lugging and dragging and pricing etc. And you could try CL altho that's time and being available. On shorter notice I'd call Salvation Army or a consignment shop that takes the kind of items you have or contact good social service person or person who knows someone in need or local university for students off campus .

Another thing about putting items out front for free is weather, if that's changeable in your area.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:21 PM

13,248 posts, read 17,784,157 times
Last time I just told neighbors to come and get what is on the kitchen counters and have the furniture out. All nor none and now.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:19 PM

5,055 posts, read 6,020,437 times
I went with Frog Hauling (dumpsters) in Columbus, Ohio, and your area might have something similar. They specialized in recycling the dumpster contents.

I had stuff from my parents' estates that I wasn't able to sell, and the charities weren't picking stuff up that summer (due to politics and bedbugs).

You just have to be really honest with yourself about why you're keeping stuff and take a hard look at your lifestyle. If you're like many people, you can dump a fair amount of stuff and never miss it. You just have to get over excuses like: "I might use that someday," or "I paid good money for that."

At the same time, be mindful of what you do use or will use. For example, I moved to Iowa and must prepare a winter survival kit for the car each October, so it made sense to keep my winter sleeping bag (and put it in the car), even though I no longer go camping in the winter. On the other hand, I gave my summer tents and sun shelters to the neighbors.

Good luck! Sounds like it's going to be a bear of a project for you!

Old 03-15-2018, 01:24 PM

6,814 posts, read 3,867,159 times
I sold some things on Craigslist very cheaply. The rest went to Salvation Army and Goodwill.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:12 PM

606 posts, read 273,808 times
www.freecycle.com is also very good at getting free stuff out the door.

In my limited experience, the clientele seems to me to be a little less creepy than their Craig's List counterparts.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:48 PM

12,184 posts, read 10,363,776 times
Thanks everyone. Great suggestions.

What makes it tricky is that I could probably sell some stuff the instant I know but then might be left without a couch/bed/furniture for a week or something. It's almost less stressful to give most of it away on the last day/next to last day. My stuff isn't valuable. I'm thinking if I took my time over a month I might get grand or so total for everything. But much less on short notice.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:14 PM

1,728 posts, read 579,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Thanks everyone. Great suggestions.

What makes it tricky is that I could probably sell some stuff the instant I know but then might be left without a couch/bed/furniture for a week or something. It's almost less stressful to give most of it away on the last day/next to last day. My stuff isn't valuable. I'm thinking if I took my time over a month I might get grand or so total for everything. But much less on short notice.
Yes, and you can't be sure how much will go and what you'll be left with to find a way to dispose of at the last minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues