Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 02:01 PM

4 posts, read 3,917 times

Advertisements

Is anyone aware of any consumer-grade tracking devices that you can be placed with your possessions during a move or storage that allow you to monitor their location online? I know products like LoJack are available for cars, but would like to be able to independently monitor where our stuff is without having to put all our trust in a moving or storage company's tracking system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 07:42 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,594,194 times
I've just started looking into this topic. There are little "tiles" around that can be added to a key ring. I suspect they could be added to a box, but how well would they transmit from a truck?

Here is one company: I have no financial interest:

https://www.thetileapp.com/?utm_camp...RoCen0QAvD_BwE

Old 03-19-2018, 12:23 PM

7,504 posts, read 13,585,057 times
If this tracker is inside the van etc, it most likely would not able able to get a signal outside the metal box of the van. The van would form what's called a "Faraday cage", not allowing any RF signals in or out.

You would have to attach such a device to the exterior of the vehicle. (Like the FBI does when it wants to track a vehicle's movement. Even then you risk your load being transferred to another van. It does happen on some moves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

Old 03-19-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
If this tracker is inside the van etc, it most likely would not able able to get a signal outside the metal box of the van.
I thought that might be the case. However, my neighbor mislaid her cell phone while we were packing her POD. She borrowed another phone and called her cell phone. I heard it ringing in the POD with the doors closed. We opened them and were able to locate her phone.

Someone told me that the tops of the POD we used weren't solid metal and the phone was probably in just the right spot to get a signal. In any case, *I* heard it ring.

I know the tiles are much smaller, and I understand the concept of a faraday cage, but it might be worth experimenting with if the OP has a little cash to play with. I certainly won't promise any product like this will work. There's an above average chance that the signal would be blocked, as you said. On the other hand, if the box(es) was/were sitting outside or somehow had a clear line of sight to the satellite . . .

Old 03-19-2018, 11:25 PM

13,130 posts, read 20,932,515 times
You're looking for something along the lines of a TrackPak. Most consumer grade devices may not be able to send a usable signal over the cell network (the signal may just be blocked), may nor be able to obtain a usable GPS coordinate, or the battery runs out.

Unlike consumer grade devices, commercial grade systems are more robust and designed to operate in signal hostile environments. Some even operate no both traditional cell service and can tie into many of the fleet/warehouse tracking systems. They do come with a more higher price tag, with the cheapest gps receiver/location transmitter going for about $300 for a small common carrier (package in transit) tracking device. However, a lot depends on what you are tracking, (single item or whole shipment), how long it will need to be in service (days or months), and the shipping method (truck, metal container, canvas top, metal enclosure).

Old 03-20-2018, 03:23 PM

Thanks for the responses.

Based on the comments, I took a look at the Tile product and one calledTrackR. While they both seem pretty cool for finding items nearby, it appears that they rely on something like a "crowdsourcing" approach for more long-distance tracking. Don't think that will work for this situation.

Will probably cue off what Rabrrita mentioned and explore commercial-grade systems a bit more.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:22 PM

13,130 posts, read 20,932,515 times
Probably the lowest cost option is the Sendum PT300 or something similar. It usually runs about $250 for the base cellular unit. There are add on modules to detect everything from shock (man-handled) moisture, tilt, and even light exposure (lets you know if a sealed item was opened). Depending on the length of time the shipment will be tracked, an add on battery pack may be required. This is the most basic of the low end commercial grade tracking units and will probably perform as good or better than the more expensive consumer grade products.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:50 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,083,354 times
I have used SpotTrace for about 2 years now: https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=128.

It has always worked wonderfully, the only issue I have had was one time when it got thrown into a locker at a middle school & the battery power died.

Other than that: They are waterproof as long as you keep certain components (rubber seal) intact. They will alert you if the battery is low & alert you if the device is powered off. It works fine inside brick buildings & in vehicles.

I am on my 3rd device but that is due to my atypical use of it. The first device I neglected to put the seal back on & it was submerged in a swimming pool & the 2nd device was the one that was thrown into a locker.

The best thing about the company is that they have excellent customer service. That first device that it was my fault it stopped working? Was replaced for free. I have never waited on hold for longer than 2 minutes.

Garmin also has excellent customer service but they discontinued the device I used to use & didn’t have a comparable device that was affordable (for me).

I paid $99 for the device & pay $14/month for the service. They also are available at Sportsman’s Warehouse if you have those in your area.

The most difficult part of the whole thing always seems to be the device webpage when you first activate the tracker. I have used Insignia (now also discontinued Best Buy brand), Garmin & SpotTrace & they were all like that but once you get past the set-up it’s not hard.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:11 AM

I appreciate your responses, too, and have repped everyone.

I have some things in Ohio that I was going to have shipped, but it's starting to look like it'll be
more cost effective and safer just to go and get them myself before gas increases again (and make it a mini-vacation, as well).

Old 03-25-2018, 07:59 PM

Rabritta and coschristi,

Thanks for the excellent suggestions on Sendum and SpotTrace. Those are exactly the kinds of products I was imagining when I posted the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues