U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-08-2008, 05:14 PM
 
2 posts, read 65,844 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhaulManager View Post
Fact:
U-Haul performs service on it's trucks every 5000 miles, Penske--every 8000 miles. U-haul employs thousands of ASE certified mechanics.

Fact:
U-Haul has more new trucks in it's fleet (10', 14', 17' 26') than Penske has in it's ENTIRE FLEET.

Fact:
U-haul has over 22,000 drop-off locations across the US and Canada. Penske makes it's customers drop off hundreds of miles away from the customers destination because they don't have nearly as many drop off locations, which is why they give you "unlimited" miles.

Fact:
Penske trucks are designed for loading docks, Uhaul trucks have low decks.

Fact:
U-Haul will ALWAYS beat Penske and Budget rates.

Fact:
Uhaul trucks run on unleaded fuel, Penske trucks run on diesel.

Fact: Penske will always match Uhaul and Budget rates.

Fact: Diesel will actually get better gas mileage for longer moves. You pay a little more for fuel, but will save in the long run. Do some research.

Fact: Uhaul owns more vehicles than Penske because they hold onto vehicles for over a decade. Penske tries to sell vehicles in their fleet that are over 4 years old.

Fact: Uhaul has a ton of drop-off locations. Have you seen these places? Case closed.

Fact: Penske trucks all have ramps. What difference does it make if they are slightly higher than Uhaul trucks? I didn't understand that one.

Fact: Penske trucks are much better maintained.

I have used Penske on four different moves. They have always matched a price and have delivered a quality truck. Uhaul is simply trying to live off of its name because it was the first in that market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2008, 05:16 PM
 
2 posts, read 65,844 times
Reputation: 14
Default Penkse does the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerbo1231 View Post
also, I used U-Haul and on my one way move they gave me a free month of storage
Penske also does a month free at local storage units if you book online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2008, 05:36 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,084 posts, read 34,071,371 times
Reputation: 16828
Quote:
Originally Posted by juancampana View Post
Fact: Penske will always match Uhaul and Budget rates.
Absolutely. Usually though they are lower when I have checked them. This time around they were already 1/2 the cost U-Haul was.

Quote:
Fact: Diesel will actually get better gas mileage for longer moves. You pay a little more for fuel, but will save in the long run. Do some research.
ALWAYS go diesel if you have a chance. I have gotten better mileage with a 26' Penske diesel than I did with a 16' U-Haul gasoline rig. Plus I didn't sit on the side of the road for HOURS waiting for somebody to come out and get their "better maintained" piece of crap going again.

Quote:
Fact: Uhaul owns more vehicles than Penske because they hold onto vehicles for over a decade. Penske tries to sell vehicles in their fleet that are over 4 years old.
I have NEVER had a new U-Haul. I know they are out there, but I have been handed the keys to a clap trap truck that was 10 years old and I wouldn't drive it across town, let alone across the country.

I have NEVER had a Penske truck for a one way rental that was over 2 years old.


Quote:
Fact: Uhaul has a ton of drop-off locations. Have you seen these places? Case closed.
I can do you one better. Have you seen their regional maintenance facilities? I did some work in one, I wouldn't have most of those "mechanics" work on a radio flyer wagon for me. Most of the trucks that were there for maintenance was in and out the door in less than an hour with an oil change and a check of the coolant. No in depth checks, no real maintenance at all. the time included a quick power wash.

Quote:
Fact: Penske trucks all have ramps. What difference does it make if they are slightly higher than Uhaul trucks? I didn't understand that one.
I never got this one either.

Quote:
Fact: Penske trucks are much better maintained.
Without a doubt!

Quote:
I have used Penske on four different moves. They have always matched a price and have delivered a quality truck. Uhaul is simply trying to live off of its name because it was the first in that market.
I agree with this as well. I think that first truck U-Haul rented out is probably still out there trying to do one way cross country moves. One point the other poster brought up was that Penske makes you drive a couple of hundred miles to a drop off location. While that may be true in some cases (mine for instance for the pick-up) it isn't the rule, but rather the exception. More drop off points doesn't make them safer trucks, doesn't make them newer trucks, doesn't even make them desirable. I would rather drive a couple hundred miles to have a truck I KNOW will get me to my destination without breaking down on the side of the road like the last couple U-Hauls have done. In my case I have to drive 176 miles to pick up my truck, the drop-off location is actually closer (5.5 miles) than U-Hauls drop-off location (12 miles). Not that a few miles matter after driving 1500 miles halfway across the Country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2008, 12:20 PM
 
1 posts, read 32,837 times
Reputation: 11
I am preparing for a move from Dallas to Ontario Canada and had a Uhaul truck booked for the move. After comming across this web site I decided to call penske to get a price. My uhaul price was $1300 with a tow dolly so i was shocked when penske gave me a price of $440!!! wow what a savings. The only downfall is that there is no drop off location for penske in Canada. Not a big deal, I just have to drive it back to upstate NY only a few hours from where im going. Its well worth it for the 800 dollar savings. And to top it off I will have a good new reliable truck for the long drive not an old crapy uhaul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2008, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Missouri
43 posts, read 158,164 times
Reputation: 24
Default Help!!! Penske 16' vs Uhaul 10'

My story:

I'm moving from Central MO to El Paso Texas. I have priced out a penske 16 foot truck rental with a tow dolly and a ten foot uhaul truck with a tow dolly. They are coming out to be about the same. Anyone have any idea which will do me best? I hear great things about Penske and not as good things about Uhaul. From what I understand the Uhaul truck will get me better gas mileage. However Penske has better service, vehicles, and unlimited miles. Cost is likely my biggest factor as I'm under a strict budget. I'm interested in spending 400 or less on gasoline for my move. Will the penske serve me better being a bigger truck (and possibly bigger engine) or with the smaller truck with Uhaul. Space is not an issue since I have very little to bring with me. Thanks forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2008, 08:06 PM
 
11,151 posts, read 14,114,566 times
Reputation: 18795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty314 View Post
My story:

I'm moving from Central MO to El Paso Texas. I have priced out a penske 16 foot truck rental with a tow dolly and a ten foot uhaul truck with a tow dolly. They are coming out to be about the same. Anyone have any idea which will do me best? I hear great things about Penske and not as good things about Uhaul. From what I understand the Uhaul truck will get me better gas mileage. However Penske has better service, vehicles, and unlimited miles. Cost is likely my biggest factor as I'm under a strict budget. I'm interested in spending 400 or less on gasoline for my move. Will the penske serve me better being a bigger truck (and possibly bigger engine) or with the smaller truck with Uhaul. Space is not an issue since I have very little to bring with me. Thanks forum!
Did you try getting a quote on a smaller Penske truck? No need to rent a 16' if you only need a 12' .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2008, 11:37 PM
 
Location: Marceline, MO
93 posts, read 278,958 times
Reputation: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty314 View Post
My story:

I'm moving from Central MO to El Paso Texas. I have priced out a penske 16 foot truck rental with a tow dolly and a ten foot uhaul truck with a tow dolly. They are coming out to be about the same. Anyone have any idea which will do me best? I hear great things about Penske and not as good things about Uhaul. From what I understand the Uhaul truck will get me better gas mileage. However Penske has better service, vehicles, and unlimited miles. Cost is likely my biggest factor as I'm under a strict budget. I'm interested in spending 400 or less on gasoline for my move. Will the penske serve me better being a bigger truck (and possibly bigger engine) or with the smaller truck with Uhaul. Space is not an issue since I have very little to bring with me. Thanks forum!
Gosh I hope you're wrong about that. I reserved a Penske based on a really horrible experience moving cross country with a Uhaul, and because the Penske diesel gets 9 MPG versus Uhaul gas at 5 MPG. Have I been totally duped?

At any rate the Penske rental came in at $740.00 and the Uhaul was $1,800 and something. But that's for a 26 foot truck; Penske has smaller trucks as well. Best of luck to you on your move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2008, 01:03 PM
 
Location: The Sunshine State!
152 posts, read 397,174 times
Reputation: 59
Hoping to move from PA to FL in the coming year. I'm glad I found this thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2008, 01:39 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,084 posts, read 34,071,371 times
Reputation: 16828
Just returned my Penske truck after a 1500 mile one way move. Ran like a top, and even towing a vehicle it cost less than a gas rig would have. Because I had to drive a long ways to pick up the truck, Penske tossed in a couple of extra days on the rental time (mileage is unlimited already). Oldest truck I have had yet from them almost 2 years old and 120,000 miles, but with the big diesel motors, that is still almost new. Rode better than my personal vehicle and had a killer AC unit. Even had a CD player in it. Very nice people on both ends, and very good experience which is what I have come to expect and always get from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2008, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Golden, CO
137 posts, read 387,787 times
Reputation: 27
Went with Penske based upon your recommendations for a MI to CO move next month. Price actually seems great with the internet and AAA discounts.

The cheapest option was a 16 foot gas truck. For about $200 more I could get a 22ft Diesel and a 26 ft was the same.

I could probably squeeze into a 16 foot but would much prefer the bigger truck. With the better economy of Diesel vs. gasoline do you think the fuel costs of a larger vehicle will be nominal?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top