U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2018, 11:56 AM

48 posts, read 57,737 times

Advertisements

My SO and I would like to move this summer from Atlanta to St. Petersburg. We have separate apartments right now but I would be giving most of my stuff to my mother. So if we rented a Uhaul, it would be for two queen beds and frames and maybe a living room set. We would then have to tow one of our two cars. The other option would be to get rid of all of our stuff and repurchase (none of our stuff is particularly expensive or has sentimental value-it all just depends on what' most cost effective).

For those seasoned movers, if we went with the Uhaul option, what would you estimate the cost might be based on your experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 05:24 PM

4,501 posts, read 3,887,020 times
Truck with car trailer will be less than 2k, gas included.

St Pete is lovely. Good choice.

Old 04-08-2018, 03:03 PM

27 posts, read 12,901 times
I've moved cross-country a few times, taking only personal items and furniture I knew would cost more to replace than the cost of the move. Keep in mind, in FL we have never-ending estate sales! With a little patience, you can furnish a whole house for very little money. There's also a huge swap meet near St. Pete. You'll have lots of options for furnishings once you get here.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:14 PM

1,781 posts, read 763,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danak13 View Post
My SO and I would like to move this summer from Atlanta to St. Petersburg. We have separate apartments right now but I would be giving most of my stuff to my mother. So if we rented a Uhaul, it would be for two queen beds and frames and maybe a living room set. We would then have to tow one of our two cars. The other option would be to get rid of all of our stuff and repurchase (none of our stuff is particularly expensive or has sentimental value-it all just depends on what' most cost effective).

For those seasoned movers, if we went with the Uhaul option, what would you estimate the cost might be based on your experiences?
From upstate South Carolina to Daytona Florida we rented several trucks and dolly's. For what you want to do you can do a one way rental for between $500-$600 maybe a little less not including gas. The smaller the truck the less expensive it will be. Also, the sooner you get it back, of course, so try and offload as soon as you can and drop the truck off. Two queens and frames with living room set shouldn't take a very large truck. Get a dolly that only the front wheels go on, should be under $75.

Just priced it and you should be able to get a 15' truck with dolly for about $444 for your trip. Add gas and my figure of $500-$600 is about right. Get the truck the day before you are set to drive out, load it and then start off the next morning early. Get to St. Pete, unload and return it. Sometimes you can return it after hours so ask. They give you a three day rental.

Last edited by NorthofHere; 04-09-2018 at 01:24 PM..

Old 04-09-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSunShell View Post
I've moved cross-country a few times, taking only personal items and furniture I knew would cost more to replace than the cost of the move. Keep in mind, in FL we have never-ending estate sales! With a little patience, you can furnish a whole house for very little money. There's also a huge swap meet near St. Pete. You'll have lots of options for furnishings once you get here.
Oh, where is the swap meet you speak of?

Old 04-13-2018, 02:40 PM

27 posts, read 12,901 times
The Wagon Wheel Flea Market is located at 7801 Park Blvd. in Pinellas Park. There's also the Oldsmar Flea Market on Hillsborough Road. And every weekend there are many estate sales.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:35 AM

Thank you. I know where that is but have never been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues