U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 06:58 PM

151 posts, read 77,620 times

Advertisements

I get long-term disability insurance benefit payments and draw a decent amount every month. Due to the amount of LTD that I get, I don't qualify for any kind of assistance from the state or federal government. The problem I'm facing is that the COL has gone up everywhere and with all the things I have to pay, myself, out of my monthly income I can't afford a one bedroom apartment in my area, anymore. I looked into renting a room from someone, but people are renting rooms for what whole apartments cost now, and then some want to charge additional monies for utilities. It's really untenable.

So, I'm hoping that you all can give me some ideas for cities with a low COL where a studio, one bedroom apartment, decent mobile home, tiny house, etc can be found for a MAXIMUM of $525 a month, or $400 including utilities for a room rental. I don't do well with humidity during any time of the year, especially during the winter because of lupus and lupus-related complications. That means that the "go to" region for affordable rent, the Midwest, is off-limits and the mountainous areas of the Southeast are as well, which is where I'm from and how I know it won't work for me. Also, a public college or university with undergraduate and graduate Computer Science programs in the nearby area would be ideal, as I'm pursuing studies in that field. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 05:18 AM

28,394 posts, read 61,765,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeninja View Post
I looked into renting a room from someone,
but people are renting rooms for what whole apartments cost now...
Where is this?

Quote:
I'm hoping that you all can give me some ideas for cities with a low COL where...
1) public uni undergraduate and graduate Computer Science programs in the nearby area
2) (not humid)
3) a MAXIMUM of $525 a month, or $400 including utilities for a room rental.
(a studio, one bedroom apartment, decent mobile home, tiny house, etc)
I don't think it exists (with the humidity aspect)...
and certainly not without lots of other complications.

Try it from the other end: how much would you have to charge a housemate (or two)
to make up the cost difference beyond the $400-500/mo you can pay?

Old 04-18-2018, 07:45 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,962,090 times
Point Lookout, Missouri

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Missouri.html

College of the Ozarks
https://www.cofo.edu/

Highest and Lowest Humidity

Below are averages over the year for maximum and minimum humidity levels in Missouri. The hours when the highest and lowest humidity readings usually occur are given in local standard time.
Annual averages for daily high and low relative humidity (%) High Time Place Low Time
82.6 6 am Columbia 55.6 3 pm
80.5 6 am Kansas City 54.5 3 pm
81.9 6 am Springfield 53.1 3 pm
83.3 6 am St Louis 54.5 3 pm
Reference

World Data Center for Meteorology. Climate of the World.

Last edited by Meemur; 04-18-2018 at 08:45 AM..

Old 04-18-2018, 09:01 AM

28,394 posts, read 61,765,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Below are averages over the year for maximum and minimum humidity levels in Missouri.
think of the whole country not just the best of the worst
Attached Thumbnails
I Need Some Ideas, Please!-humidityss.png  

Old 04-18-2018, 09:25 AM

2,803 posts, read 1,224,976 times
Unfortunately with the humidity limitations, that leaves out a LOT of the lower COL areas in the country.

The Midwest and Southeast are low COL in many areas. Even in my area it's pretty low COL but it's not a dry climate by any means.

The $500 for a 1 bedroom is definitely doable here and also in places like Cleveland, Buffalo, and many smaller towns in Upstate NY. Living in Kentucky and West Virginia is also pretty low cost.

If your health is seriously aggravated by the humidity, then maybe take a look at potentially getting roommates and going in together on a place in a drier area.

Look into places in Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, and west Texas.

Hopefully someone else can chime in on places in those states I'm not an expert on them as I avoid dry places, lol

Old 04-18-2018, 10:31 AM

3,577 posts, read 3,137,226 times
How much does the humidity matter if you aren't going to be outside much? It's air conditioned inside. It's more humid in summer than winter. The dry air usually bothers me in winter. I don't have your condition. Is it the lack of humidity that bothers you more?

I don't know where you are from, culturally, it's sometimes hard to get invested into a new area particularly at that price point. I'm afraid you might find yourself isolated especially if you go out west.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Where is this?
Greenville, SC is my hometown. It's become an "it" spot for people moving from the Northeast, etc and as a result housing is no longer affordable. I've literally been priced out of everything that's livable. I can work part-time to supplement my income, but because of my health limitations my choices there are also very limited.

I think my best bet is to pick a major city, or nearby suburb of one, that has MOST of what I want and just go do what I have to do as far as part-time employment (a large-ish college/uni should also help with that). I have a LOT of varied skills I can put to use sitting down. I will probably have to be more flexible with my humidity requirement, but if I can find some place that isn't going to have me hurting like crazy in the winter I can deal and be content, if not happy.

I don't think it exists (with the humidity aspect)...
and certainly not without lots of other complications.

Try it from the other end: how much would you have to charge a housemate (or two)
to make up the cost difference beyond the $400-500/mo you can pay?
Where does a decent/livable (not fancy, upmarket, luxury) 2 bedroom apartment in the majority of America cost more than $800-$1000 a month!? The $400 figure I gave, including utilities, was an IDEAL figure, and I should have made that clear. With the roommate situation where I'm from, however, what people are actually doing, especially those who own their homes or condos, is trying to take unfair advantage of a situation by charging the roommate what their monthly mortgage PITI is so they can free up their own money for other things. That's what's really going on and while it's their right to do that I don't have to rent from them because I don't think that's right, and knowing how much apartments cost and the usual/going mortgage rates for my hometown, I know when someone is trying to get over. Why would I pay someone $700-$750 a month (PLUS half utilities) for ONE ROOM (unfurnished) in a 2 bedroom apartment, when 2-br/2-ba apartments in the area rent for $700-$850 a month (prices are for the standard (used to be) middle-class level in a decent area to upscale, but not "luxury" apartments which are a thing in my hometown now)? No, thanks. I'm mobile and have no kids, I can go where the COL is lower.

There is NO affordable housing in Greenville, SC anymore. You're either in the "hood" with all those problems, out in the country in something barely livable, or you can afford the upscale apartment complexes. There is no in between like there used to be. It's drastic. What makes it worse is that the area is NEW to the roommate/homeshare dynamic and most people aren't open to the idea. It's really only the transplants from other areas and the young college kids who want to move off campus who are doing it, so it hasn't really caught on there like it has in other cities, which means there aren't many roommate/homeshare offers to consider in the first place. Ninety percent of Greenville natives probably still don't know what CL is, and I'm not being funny. I love my hometown and it's growth, but until I can finish my CS degree and get into one of the big multinational companies that have relocated their North American or US headquarters there, I can't afford my own hometown. It's bittersweet. I feel like I'm being forced to go away to "grow up" and then come back home, LOL.

I'm doing EVERYTHING that I can to set myself up to stop getting this LTD which is why I'm pursuing a second degree in Computer Science, and THANK YAHWEH that I've always been a nerd/geek and have a love and aptitude for STEM (okay, I don't "love" higher math, but I'm decent enough at it and actually enjoy the challenge). I did a lot of learning on my own (running my own Linux web servers, networking my doctor's office, being everybody's tech support person, etc) until it got to the point that I knew I needed to go back to school for it. And, figured that I could make a good/decent living using a CS degree even if I could only work up to or right under the minimum hours it takes to be full-time, and it would allow me the flexibility to work within my limitations as some companies allow working remotely, etc. So, that's my ultimate goal, and so far I have a good GPA for a CS major (3.4/4.0) and all the more surprising when considering I got that GPA attending a 4-year college full-time with active lupus, and being pretty much continually sick while living on campus in the dorms with the kids (not the cleanest or most hygienic people; I kept some kind of respiratory/lung infection from my 2nd week on campus).

I didn't write all that to brag, because none of the glory for my academic success belongs to me; it all belongs to Yahweh. I wrote it to highlight my determination and level of motivation, because I know that you all get questions like this all the time from people who have no plan, no execution, and no follow-up and might not be inclined to be as helpful as you otherwise would be. I am not that person, LOL. I am literally and figuratively fighting for my life and well-being, and that's enough to keep me motivated and determined. So, I hope I get some more input from others after posting this reply.

Right now I'm cross-referencing the lowest COL areas in the USA with nearby universities, humidity rates, etc. I also have a paid membership at a roommate matching website that I'll use in addition to CL. I didn't come here like some people who expect you all to do all the work for them. I just need additional input/ideas for things I may not have thought about. I'm also considering a series of long-term work-exchange situations (Workaway, HelpX, etc) for several months, where you trade your skills for free room and board, to save some money up, so that's an option as well.

Thanks for your replies!

Old 04-18-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Unfortunately with the humidity limitations, that leaves out a LOT of the lower COL areas in the country.

The Midwest and Southeast are low COL in many areas. Even in my area it's pretty low COL but it's not a dry climate by any means.

The $500 for a 1 bedroom is definitely doable here and also in places like Cleveland, Buffalo, and many smaller towns in Upstate NY. Living in Kentucky and West Virginia is also pretty low cost.

If your health is seriously aggravated by the humidity, then maybe take a look at potentially getting roommates and going in together on a place in a drier area.

Look into places in Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, and west Texas.

Hopefully someone else can chime in on places in those states I'm not an expert on them as I avoid dry places, lol
Thanks for your reply! I've realized that to have more options I'm going to have to relax on the humidity a little bit. I can deal with a location that is less humid than the Southeast (I'm from SC) but not as dry as the Southwest. And, it's really the cold, wet winter weather that makes me hurt even when I'm indoors. Hmm... just had a thought; that might be more of an issue with barometric/air pressure than humidity... must refresh my memory banks, LOL.

I'm definitely looking at those areas, especially CO, AZ, NM. I used to live in Mesa, AZ and I loved it except in the middle to summer, but I was also at my sickest during that time too. So, the Phoenix metro area might work this time around. Plus, with me pursuing a Computer Science degree and having some tech experience, I wouldn't have a problem getting a part-time job with one of the tech companies in the Phoenix metro. When I moved there before, I arrived on a Thursday and was working the next Tuesday. It was a "placeholder" job just to start getting money coming in until I could find something in tech. Within a month I was hired by an aerospace corporation, which was my employer until I went out on LTD. So, Arizona is definitely doable. I've looked at New Mexico, esp the ABQ area because it's cooler than PHX and still pretty warm, but their job situation for tech isn't the best (that I've been able to glean and gather).

A couple of years ago before I had a major health setback, I was about 5 seconds away from moving to Colorado. I researched and really liked the Colorado Springs area, especially because all of the tech companies there. Even though most are gov't contractors, I feel I'd have a better than decent shot at getting hired after I finished my degree because I'm an honorably discharged Navy veteran with a spotless criminal record and I previously held a lower-level security clearance while in the Navy, which might make it easier for me to get another one... plus the fact that in the late 90s I was a federal security officer with a Special Police commission, which I'm not sure came with a security clearance or not. But, I think I'm good for gov't contract work. Doh! I wrote all of that and just realized that my aerospace employer in AZ was a gov't contractor too, and I had to do/submit a boatload of paperwork to satisfy federal regulations. So, yeah, I'm good, LOL.

I'm kind of leery about Texas even though my brother lives there (San Antonio) and they have a fast-growing tech sector, esp around the military-industrial complex. Texas politics, from what I know them to be, scare me. That doesn't seem like the state to live in if you're lower income and may ever need to use any public assistance, ever, no matter how short-term or temporary. I need to do more research, to be honest, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
How much does the humidity matter if you aren't going to be outside much? It's air conditioned inside. It's more humid in summer than winter. The dry air usually bothers me in winter. I don't have your condition. Is it the lack of humidity that bothers you more?

I don't know where you are from, culturally, it's sometimes hard to get invested into a new area particularly at that price point. I'm afraid you might find yourself isolated especially if you go out west.
Thanks for your reply! As I stated above, for the aches/pains (esp in winter), I think I may have gotten humidity and barometric/air pressure mixed up. Wet/damp winter weather makes me hurt a LOT, but that might be because of the barometric pressure and not the humidity. At any rate, I'm going to have to refresh my memory about both and what kind of effect humidity has on barometric pressure. I know high humidity in the heat NOW (last few years) makes me break out massively in itchy heat rash blisters in about 10 minutes, so I need to get out of the Southeast. My sweat glands have now been affected by my condition, apparently, because it didn't used to be like this and now I'm sometimes getting open sores which is dangerous for someone with a compromised immune system. So, I have to mitigate that as much as possible at all costs.

I'm from Greenville, SC and I identify as a black American. I've lived out West in Arizona and loved it. All I had to do to find the black people was find the places of worship, LOL. There are specific Christian denominations, and other non-Christian faith groups, that are traditionally majority-black and, if you know who they are, if you find even one group you'll get the inside scoop on, and access into, the area's black community. I'd never move anywhere where there were not ANY black or brown people at all. That's a potentially dangerous recipe for disaster waiting to happen. Somebody else can be the pioneer; I'm too old, LOL.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:40 PM

26,424 posts, read 62,653,352 times
Maybe Yuma Az. You will not be in the best quarters, but it is doable with a roommate. Hotter than hell there in summer though, but it is pretty dry.

https://www.apartments.com/155-w-5th...ma-az/7ycrysx/

Might be in a not so great area. Not sure.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 04-18-2018 at 01:12 PM..

Old 04-18-2018, 01:16 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,962,090 times
OP, I have trouble with severe heat and high humidity. I'm not going to lie: late July and the early part of August aren't going to be wonderful, unless you're somewhere like Ely, MN. However, that part of MO isn't bad, and you have both a college that would work with you and affordable housing.

MO is sort of a transition zone between the prairie and the South. If I had more opportunities in my field for
part-time work in retirement, it would high on my list. As it is, I'm staying around Des Moines for the much better economy. I won't tout all the growing employment in the computer industry (Microsoft and Facebook) because our winters are snowy and cold, which you wouldn't like.

If you're in CA, please know that an old friend of mine lost his job due to health problems and landed in Lancaster, CA in a trailer, which he says is affordable when I whine that I can't afford to live in CA. True? I don't know, but I'll leave that up to you to research.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or