U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 10:51 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,011,207 times

Advertisements

I have not used a POD, but have used the 1800pckrat containers several times.

I have exceeded the weight twice. They let you go up to 500 pound over if its pretty level/evenly weighted. My weight when way over was because I had a lot of old wooden, heavy furniture.

The last load I did was right at the requested limit. It was completely full on the ground, but only about 3/4 full to the ceiling. I knew I could not fill it all the way and not exceed the weight based on the other loads. But you will not now until you have done several moves

If you do go over and they can not lift the load, they will ask you to remove things to get the weight down. Its nice to have a few heavy boxes near the door that can be mailed or put in a car in case that happens. Plan to put some heavy things by the door that you can handle not going in the POD. Its not good when the only heavy thing near the door is something like a frig and you NEED that on the container! And they will not wait a hour for you to dig out heavy things. If you can not reduce the weight in a few minutes they will return on a different day, and you will still be guessing the weight until they return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 07:08 PM

270 posts, read 1,983,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
I have not used a POD, but have used the 1800pckrat containers several times.

I have exceeded the weight twice. They let you go up to 500 pound over if its pretty level/evenly weighted. My weight when way over was because I had a lot of old wooden, heavy furniture.

The last load I did was right at the requested limit. It was completely full on the ground, but only about 3/4 full to the ceiling. I knew I could not fill it all the way and not exceed the weight based on the other loads. But you will not now until you have done several moves

If you do go over and they can not lift the load, they will ask you to remove things to get the weight down. Its nice to have a few heavy boxes near the door that can be mailed or put in a car in case that happens. Plan to put some heavy things by the door that you can handle not going in the POD. Its not good when the only heavy thing near the door is something like a frig and you NEED that on the container! And they will not wait a hour for you to dig out heavy things. If you can not reduce the weight in a few minutes they will return on a different day, and you will still be guessing the weight until they return.

Thanks, this is good and helpful advice. Yes, this is my first move so I've been looking up average weights of things, like furniture. I agree, load the stuff we definitely want toward the back. I'll even save boxes of books for last -- could always media mail those.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:24 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,011,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motifone View Post
Thanks, this is good and helpful advice. Yes, this is my first move so I've been looking up average weights of things, like furniture. I agree, load the stuff we definitely want toward the back. I'll even save boxes of books for last -- could always media mail those.
Books are great to remove from the POD if you exceed the weight, and cheap to mail for their weight.

A suggestion that is not really related, but works well for us is to pack all our clothes, sheets and towels that are not in dressers into trash bags. We use these bags to fit around odd furniture edges, on top of the moving blankets, and in the little 'holes' that develop as you load. They work good as 'padding' but come out of the bags clean, folded and ready to use.

Also mirrors and large pictures do well packed between the box spring and mattress.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:41 PM

270 posts, read 1,983,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
Books are great to remove from the POD if you exceed the weight, and cheap to mail for their weight.

A suggestion that is not really related, but works well for us is to pack all our clothes, sheets and towels that are not in dressers into trash bags. We use these bags to fit around odd furniture edges, on top of the moving blankets, and in the little 'holes' that develop as you load. They work good as 'padding' but come out of the bags clean, folded and ready to use.

Also mirrors and large pictures do well packed between the box spring and mattress.
Great advice on clothes in bags. Will do that!

Old 05-15-2018, 01:30 PM

2,588 posts, read 1,268,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motifone View Post
Great advice on clothes in bags. Will do that!
We requested paper bags at the grocers for weeks before our move. Then we packed about 50 bags of clothes, bedsheets and bath towels and used them to stuff every little nook and cranny in the PODS.

Then after our move, when mom-in-law wanted to help, we put her to work opening all those bags and putting away all the clothes and linens! She was happy to help and it kept her busy and out of the way while we moved furniture and boxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues