U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 05:31 AM

7,663 posts, read 8,950,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
I am about to get ready to sign a lease for a new apartment, but not sure if this is a practice that I should be weary of or suspicious. It's been a while since I have had to look for a new apartment.

The apartment I want requires no security deposit which is great. Like most, you have to fill out an application with an application fee. The interesting part is that they ask you to pay the application fee, move in fee, and first month's rent all in one when submitting the application. Is that odd?

I would think that you would apply, pay the application fee. Then if you get approved, sign a lease and that is when you submit the move in fee and first month's rent. Or is this common practice? I looked them up on Yelp on the have some mixed reviews. I saw one reviewer said that she filled out the application, payed the move in fee, and the first month's rent, only to have her application rejected. She is still waiting to get her money back.

I kind of feel like telling my agent I will gladly fill out the application and pay the application fee, but prefer to see if I get approved before I also send money for the move in and first month's rent.

What do you all think?
They sound like crooks to me.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:03 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,962,883 times
If this was legit, it would be set up in an escrow account with a contract.

This falls under category of sketchy. I wouldn't do business.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:38 AM

1,363 posts, read 545,899 times
I told them no I wasn't going to move forward. My guy feeling and common sense told me not to do it.

On top of that they kept trying to rush me to sign and pay. Yeah, way to fishy. I am looking at other places now.

Old 04-23-2018, 01:34 PM

4,935 posts, read 3,416,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
I told them no I wasn't going to move forward. My guy feeling and common sense told me not to do it.

On top of that they kept trying to rush me to sign and pay. Yeah, way to fishy. I am looking at other places now.
Thank heavens you didn't fall for that one. I've never had to do more than an application/,credit check fee. How can they possibly ask for more when they don't even know if you will qualify?

Old 04-23-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Thank heavens you didn't fall for that one. I've never had to do more than an application/,credit check fee. How can they possibly ask for more when they don't even know if you will qualify?
I forgot to mention. They also sent me a Chase Quickpay request for the money and were rushing me.

After I saw the place and told them I was interested, they emailed me the application right away. Only a mere three hours later they started to text me if I filled out the application. Then early in the morning the next day they started texting me again asking me if I applied and that is when they sent me the Chase Quickpay request.

I was like WTF? Why rush me?

They also kept telling me that other people were going to look at the apartment and also informed me that the unit across from mine was just rented.

On top of that the building has 9 units and 5 units were available. I found that odd, but maybe coincidence?

It was ALL way too fishy.

Old 04-23-2018, 02:27 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,789,135 times
Sketchy is indeed in question.
Here are some fees I've read when getting ready to apply: 1: showing fee. 2: verfication fee of financial records. 3. Credit score fee. 4: $100 nonrefundable fee for admin filing.

I tell them : here are my fees:
1: $200 nonrefundable for my having to fill out paperwork. 2: a fee of 75$ to investigate their financial portfolio 3: a fee of $200 to subsidize the utility transfers.
Let's just say I am met with the ' that's not how it works' look. In which I say,good,now you know how I feel.
You'll get verification of employment or financial letter of assurance.youll get the minimum deposit if I so choose to agree to the lease terms. You'll get paid by check or electronic form. You'll get a 60 day notice if i am vacating at term end. you get a phone call or letter for any maintenance request. You get to respect my property as I do the same. And with that ...only a few llc's have had issue. A contract is fair to both sides. There is nothing fair about ludicrous fees or the business's that try to assert them as
'its the norm'. There are options for the signers.

Old 04-23-2018, 02:34 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,904,594 times
Yeah, no. Just no!! Glad you didn't fall for it, but 99% of legitimate landlords won't ask for ANYTHING but application fee until the lease is signed - and even then, you often don't have to pay (first month's + deposit) until your lease begins and keys are exchanged. When I got my current place, he didn't even ask for an application fee, since he wasn't running a credit check. I just confirmed I'd be taking the place via email, we agreed on a start date, and no money was paid until that date. He wasn't even there when the day arrived, and just left the keys on the counter (I left my check in his mailbox next-door the same evening) w/ front door unlocked for me. Rushing you is also a red flag, unless your actual move-in date has just passed and they're afraid you'll bail. Definitely a huge red flag, regardless.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:33 AM

6,914 posts, read 3,956,216 times
Yes, it sounds sketchy to me.
I would tell them so. That I will pay the application fee only...the rest only when I am accepted.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:07 PM

9,190 posts, read 11,670,796 times
I assume you're in Chicago? If so, it's a common way landlords are now going about renting. The reason is most consumers have no idea that "move in fee's" are unregulated and most times non-refundable. You expect to pay a non-refundable application fee. You also know that if you paid the rent but the tenancy never occurred you get the rent monies back. But, unlike a Security Deposit which is regulated, Move-In Fees are landlord monies and they are not required to refund any of it. So, a smart landlord will do whatever it takes to get that "Move-In" fee paid knowing that if you decide not to move in, they get to keep it. It's good you didn't go though with this because your dealing with a ignorant landlord. A smart landlord would have asked for the Move-In fee only which is more likely to be paid upfront from equally ignorant tenants.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
I assume you're in Chicago? If so, it's a common way landlords are now going about renting. The reason is most consumers have no idea that "move in fee's" are unregulated and most times non-refundable. You expect to pay a non-refundable application fee. You also know that if you paid the rent but the tenancy never occurred you get the rent monies back. But, unlike a Security Deposit which is regulated, Move-In Fees are landlord monies and they are not required to refund any of it. So, a smart landlord will do whatever it takes to get that "Move-In" fee paid knowing that if you decide not to move in, they get to keep it. It's good you didn't go though with this because your dealing with a ignorant landlord. A smart landlord would have asked for the Move-In fee only which is more likely to be paid upfront from equally ignorant tenants.
Iím in Chicago. But even with that I wouldnít pay the move in fee. Why would I pay a non refundable move in fee if I donít even know I have the apartment yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues