Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 07:12 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,493,099 times

Advertisements

My first move from homw, everything fit in the trunk of my 66 Mustang. Last move here from PA for me and the wife took probably 12 loads in cars, motorhome, and rented trucks and trailers.
Dump everything but the cats and cages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 08:38 PM

5,946 posts, read 5,098,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Everything you get rid of or leave behind will cost significantly more to replace than it's original purchase price. Think about it.

All of my stuff is not the "best" stuff. Have you priced the cost of a moving van with two helpers??

I have thought about it. Seems a lot of people have thought about it and have done the same thing I plan to do.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:03 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,177,256 times
I just helped move my brother from California to Wyoming. He sold everything except what he could fit in his Ford Escape and my Honda Ridgeline. Basically he left with several boxes of clothes, kitchen supplies, his computer, and some small appliances. He plans to hit up criagslist/ thrift stores etc for new furniture when he finds a new place to live. Almost everything he had before was a hand-me-down so he wasn't out a lot of money when he sold it all. He chose to sell the majority of his stuff because it was going to be over 2k to move it all.

OP do what you need to do. You don't have to take it all with you. People have too much stuff anyway. Nothing wrong with just moving the necessities.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:54 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,538,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
We did something similar for our cross country move. Sold most everything including all furniture. Hit the road with our RAV4 loaded to the gills with a cargo carrier on top. But we also shipped a good number of boxes via Amtrak Express. Cheapest way to ship things except for books that qualify for USPS media mail rate. Definitely cheaper than making two trips. Basically a pallet load of boxes of various household stuff was $150 from Ohio to Oregon.
How do you pack your items for a pallet of boxes to ship via Amtrak Expess? In regular boxes? Do you have to take all those boxes to Amtrak Express?

I'll be moving (hopefully) next year. I'm wondering if I should sell most stuff, and then just ship whatever won't fit in my car. I've never thought of doing this before.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:57 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,538,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Thank you for this information. I have a small Nissan sedan so have decided to check out Enterprise to see what they have to offer.

The reason for doing it in two trips..... my cats. If I have my car filled up, where will the cats go? They have their own carrier. But I traveled with a single cat one time and it wasn't fun. I want as much room as possible for them to get comfortable. It's a long ride.
I visited my vet beforehand. He gave me valium for my cat for a trip. Just half of one, just enough to hopefully relax her. I should've given her a whole one! She cried and rocked her carrier back and forth most of the way. (A high strung half Siamese.) My vet said it was perfectly safe to give her the valium.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:20 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,382,398 times
Will you be moving into a furnished place? If not, I highly suggest taking a decent inflatable mattress and a folding camp chair. That way when you show up, you have something to sit in and you can just plug in your bed and be comfortable right away, and they won't take up a huge amount of space in your car and it will be worth it.

I got one at Walmart when I did my move, so I'd have something to sleep on while my stuff was packed, including my mattress. It was amazingly comfortable and didn't deflate overnight, like they usually do. It was by this brand. I am not sure which model I got, but it was similar in price to this one, although I think mine is a little different. I got mine in the store:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Del...cf&athena=true

I chose to pack my little pickup to the gills and haul a small U-Haul trailer with my main furniture pieces. I prefer to be able to just set up my home with the basic furniture that I know works for me.

But, you can wait to buy stuff, as long as you can be comfortable while you wait to go shopping. So, a chair, somewhere to put your drink (some folding camp chairs have a drink holder), a comfortable air mattress that you can just plug in to fill up or deflate. Your bedding. And supplies for making coffee and breakfast in the morning, some basic kitchen items, and whatever you'll need for the cats, so you don't have to go shopping first thing. You'll be tired.

Also, you probably won't have internet right away, so download some movies, or get some DVDs if you can play them in your laptop, have a book to read.

I listened to Pandora's free comedy channel while on my long drive and it kept me more engaged than just listening to music. Helped keep me awake. My old iphone can plug into my stereo and play through the speakers in my truck. You can also download audio books, which I did through a free library website. See if your library subscribes to hoopladigital.com (Hoopla). If your library subscribes to it, you just create a sign-in once using your library card number, then next time you can just sign in with your email address and password. You can download a certain number of movies or audio books or e-books per month for free.

Then, if you will be living somewhere with Craigslist, you can start looking for some deals. I got a bunch of free stuff over the months after I moved here. This place didn't come with a microwave, and I got one for free. I wanted a second chair and got a really nice one for free. Same for a desk and table and some gardening things - all free. And then later, as I could afford it, I got some area rugs and other things.

I got some really nice wall art at a local Good Will. Another store for good deals on new stuff, is Ross Dress for Less, if you'll have one of those, for all kinds of stuff. I got things there like shower curtains, towels, a couple little area rugs and welcome mat, kitchen utensils, etc.

You'll be fine. Only you know what will stress you out or not. If the idea stresses you out to deal with driving something you're not familiar with, or making two trips, or how much money it would cost, etc., then just do what will cause you the least stress.

I've done it both ways and moved a lot. Either way, I know that when I get to my destination, I want a bed to sleep on and something to sit on comfortably (even if it's the bed), and I want to be able to wake up and not have to go out for coffee or breakfast. And I want my own pillow. And something to read or watch for entertainment. I also usually pack a bottle of wine and a glass, and a candle. Simple things that help me relax and be comfortable, so it's easier to do everything else I'll need to do later on.

I hope you love your new home.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:48 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,713,784 times
OP: I did what you did. Here are some tips.

1. Do NOT give the cats the medicine. I tried to give my cat one to see how she would react and she acted drunk! I told myself I would not medicate her. I am glad I did not.

2, Buy 2 soft carriers for your cats. Get rid of the plastic ones or ship them with your stuff. The soft carriers are flexible when your car is loaded with your belongings.

3. Place a small dishpan (or small type plastic pan) on the floor board of your car and fill it with litter. Take that inside the motel or hotel and they can use it there too. Make sure you research cat-friendly hotels/motels. Write those down on a piece of paper and keep that with you. It's a waste of time to go inside a motel and they don't accept animals. Some charge for animals and some are free.

4. Bring along a small bag of cat food (their favorite) and keep that in the front on the floor board. The cats will be nervous and upset so offer them some kibble as comfort. Bring a small dish that you can bring inside the hotel room.

5. You may think they will cry the whole way but if you comfort the cats and talk to them, it eases the stress, Pretty soon, they think it's an adventure!

6. Sell everything you can, give it away, donate, and start over. I can give more tips about what you can use for temporary furniture if you need it.

7. The MOST critical thing: When you stop for gas, make SURE that cats are in their carriers. I know you might want to let them roam and stretch in the car but make sure they are contained. Nothing is more awful than your cat breaking free and running through the gas station and getting hurt.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:45 AM

Thank you for this wonderful information! Every little tip helps.

One thing about my cats. One of them, the male, is a nervous nelly when riding. Going from here to the vet for an appointment usually finds he pees during the ride, making for a messy cleanup. And the last time he rode in the carrier? He did #1 and #2. Yikes.

So no, he will ride in the hard plastic carrier. My calmer female will ride in the soft sided one. Riding doesn't seem to bother her.

It will be a huge relief when we get there!

Old 05-01-2018, 04:51 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,576,067 times
OP, I'm older, as well, but I'm still working.

I downsized to two relocubes and what fit in my vehicle. My kitty rode in a hard shell carrier, and I strapped the carrier into the passenger seat and kept my speed down.

Moving truly stinks when one is older, but I increased my income almost back to where it was when the recession hit, and I'm living in a much better neighborhood (and moving to an even better one this summer, if all goes well), so this was the right thing to do for me.

I don't know your situation, but it's hard to argue with the math if moving will give you a less expensive but still good quality of living.

Old 05-01-2018, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
OP, I'm older, as well, but I'm still working.

I downsized to two relocubes and what fit in my vehicle. My kitty rode in a hard shell carrier, and I strapped the carrier into the passenger seat and kept my speed down.

Moving truly stinks when one is older, but I increased my income almost back to where it was when the recession hit, and I'm living in a much better neighborhood (and moving to an even better one this summer, if all goes well), so this was the right thing to do for me.

I don't know your situation, but it's hard to argue with the math if moving will give you a less expensive but still good quality of living.

I'm 76, so no spring chicken. But I seem to still have some of that positive belief I can do what I want though it may take a bit longer and I may have a few more aches and pains (worth it, tho!).

A few years ago I drove to NC with my then cat. She was not a happy camper. Unfortunately a few months later she had a stroke and had to be euthanized. Not a great memory. So I want to take specially good care of my "kids" when we move. They won't be excited to move, they like it here, thank you very much!

I'm going to Roanoke in a few weeks to meet with apartment managers, scope the places out, etc. After reading on C-D forum and doing other searches, I realize the COL may be comparable to what it is for me here. Tho at some point I hope to find a low-income apartment but if I have to wait till one opens up, that's OK, too. I did go bankrupt in 2017 which relieved me from a humongous debt that would have had me living my car eventually.

At this stage of my life, I want to live where it makes me feel good. Mountains nearby, plenty of places to explore. Lots of other towns that offer interesting things. And then of course the ocean. Not sure how far from Roanoke, but do-able and I will go when I can.

Getting more excited the closer it gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues