U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 07:30 PM

7,074 posts, read 4,107,004 times

Advertisements

Yeah even when not moving we always have cats and dogs behind 2 doors. Usually meaning always using the garage door as the entrance and shuttling them into a bedroom when someone comes to the front door. And either tethered or in crates in the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 05:20 AM

4,619 posts, read 3,201,268 times
Thank you all for those necessary reminders for the cats. My cats are my family. I got them both from the SPCA and I remember how nervous they were for the first week or two. They both seem pretty well adjusted tho one of them is still unsure at times.

Old 05-05-2018, 10:23 PM

2,046 posts, read 835,017 times
I've rented one of those car top carriers from uhaul. You can pack a lot of stuff in them. Of course if you are stopping overnight you can't secure too much so only non high value stuff, clothes mostly. But it is extra room. The Uhaul place put it on and took it off for me, it does come with a lock, I think, or maybe I had to get a pad lock.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:16 AM

518 posts, read 258,202 times
My husband and I and our two cats moved from one state to another about 3 years ago. We got rid of a lot of stuff, and then rented a uhaul and towed our car. We had the cats in a large (medium dog sized) plastic crate which we put on the seat between us. We gave them calming gel, and sprayed inside the crate on the pillow inside with calming spray. We covered the crate while driving because it made them feel safer not to see what was going on. We talked to them all the time and offered them water now and then. They complained a bit when we first started out, but after that they were fine.

We stayed in a pet-friendly motel halfway there. We had already researched where to stay and had a reservation. We let the cats out there and fed them and put out a litter box. They were mainly just happy to stretch and settled in fairly easily. When we arrived at our destination we had to stay with my MIL for a couple of days. She gave us a bedroom, and we let them roam free in there until we moved into our own place.

OP, I understand your situation is a bit different since there is only one of you, but I would like to give you my opinion based on what we learned on our move, and also because you asked.

If it were me: I would get a large plastic crate and put in something soft and familiar for the cats to lay on. I would use the gel and the spray, and cover the crate while driving. The crate would go on the passenger side of the car, with the door facing me so the could see me and I could talk to them and reassure them. You would have the rest of the car to in which to pack your things.

Take them with you into any motel you stay in. They probably won't eat or use the litter box while you are in your car. Research and make reservations beforehand. I think you can do this, and I wish you the best!

Old 05-06-2018, 12:50 PM

6,106 posts, read 9,035,708 times
Default Ideas for You !

Plastic totes with a lid ! Cut a hole in the lid so the cat can poke his head out side if he wants to. Otherwise, he will lay down in the tote and not be able to see anything, which is good to calm him. This is what we did for the two cats move from IL to AZ.

Also when we had to move Gramma to AZ, her personal stuff and knicknaks all went into Home depot cardboard boxes and then to the post office. They shipped it all to AZ and it was very inexpensive. I think it might have been FedEX.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:14 PM

4,619 posts, read 3,201,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Plastic totes with a lid ! Cut a hole in the lid so the cat can poke his head out side if he wants to. Otherwise, he will lay down in the tote and not be able to see anything, which is good to calm him. This is what we did for the two cats move from IL to AZ.

Also when we had to move Gramma to AZ, her personal stuff and knicknaks all went into Home depot cardboard boxes and then to the post office. They shipped it all to AZ and it was very inexpensive. I think it might have been FedEX.

Thank you! That's a great idea, the plastic totes. I guess it kind of works on the same idea of covering bird cages at night. Makes them feel secure. My cats are my biggest worry. I want them to move with me but I don't want to mess them up.

I need to check out U-Haul for a van. I think that will help me a lot. But I'll have to make two trips. One with the van and then come back to get my car. I'm not especially brave enough to try towing it.

If I could just talk someone to go with me. Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or