Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 03:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,724 times

Advertisements

Am considering to move away for a job. I am not too happy with the job i have at the moment for several reasons. I really could need a change regarding the job but that would mean i had to move abroad, about 1000 miles away where i have an attractive job offer. Problem is that my family is very happy with the place we live now. Wife wants to stay and our little guy wants to stay too. Our little man is soon 10 years old. He doesn`t speak the language of the country i want to move to too well but has some basic language skills. So i had to move alone, check out the premises and then later on hope for the best, that my family will be following me. Problem is there are a lot of uncertainties with this plan. Obviously i first had to work for some time to find out that the new job really is as good as i hope it will be, second, moving a child is according to some studies always risky, especially if they do not want to move. I am so torn between staying or leaving and do not know what to do. Especially the thought of living without my family for a longer period, only seeing them every other month really tears my heart out. On the other hand is the prospect of continuing in the job i have now depressing too. Possibilities of getting an interesting job here in the area is rather low. Know that since i tried for several years now. Wondered if any of you have been in a similar situation and has some good advice to me, that would be very much appreciated! I feel like i have to choose between 2 options that both will be quite hurtful. Clearly the option without my family will be much worth but maybe not so in the long term!??????? I really do not know. Asked for one year granting of a leave from the job i have now. Answer was that they basically do not grant this and why i wanted to have a one year break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 11:47 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,096,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasKE View Post
Am considering to move away for a job. I am not too happy with the job i have at the moment for several reasons. I really could need a change regarding the job but that would mean i had to move abroad, about 1000 miles away where i have an attractive job offer. Problem is that my family is very happy with the place we live now. Wife wants to stay and our little guy wants to stay too. Our little man is soon 10 years old. He doesn`t speak the language of the country i want to move to too well but has some basic language skills. So i had to move alone, check out the premises and then later on hope for the best, that my family will be following me. Problem is there are a lot of uncertainties with this plan. Obviously i first had to work for some time to find out that the new job really is as good as i hope it will be, second, moving a child is according to some studies always risky, especially if they do not want to move. I am so torn between staying or leaving and do not know what to do. Especially the thought of living without my family for a longer period, only seeing them every other month really tears my heart out. On the other hand is the prospect of continuing in the job i have now depressing too. Possibilities of getting an interesting job here in the area is rather low. Know that since i tried for several years now. Wondered if any of you have been in a similar situation and has some good advice to me, that would be very much appreciated! I feel like i have to choose between 2 options that both will be quite hurtful. Clearly the option without my family will be much worth but maybe not so in the long term!??????? I really do not know. Asked for one year granting of a leave from the job i have now. Answer was that they basically do not grant this and why i wanted to have a one year break.
Why have you posted in the GRIEF AND MOURNING forum??????????

Old 05-06-2018, 01:29 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,871,469 times
Wrong forum.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:14 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,498,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasKE View Post
Wife wants to stay and our little guy wants to stay too. Our little man is soon 10 years old.
He doesn`t speak the language of the country i want to move to
Moving to a different COUNTRY for a job is a very different matter than another city.

Needing to go to another city for a good job offer? Sure.
It's tough and awful but sometimes it's the only practical option.
Get the solid offer.

Old 05-06-2018, 04:03 PM

22,887 posts, read 18,183,801 times
Big problem surely. If I am faced with a complex problem like this I find the best approach is to

1. Reduce the variables; get the offer and find out about any benefits (moving, temp housing, COL in the area, benefits for your family including schools, what housing costs are, activities that your family would enjoy getting into, etc). Before you have the knowns, you can't attack the other aspects.

2. Break all the parts of this problem into smaller questions and attack them individually. Looking at it from a whole can be overwhelming and you obviously know you are spinning your wheels over all of them all at once. None become clearer.

3. Once you know the facts, start tallying up the advantages and the disadvantages of staying or leaving. Do it with your family. Make a tally board and put it up where everyone can see it and think about it. They obviously have a say and may see it from points of view you don't. What they tell you is as valid as what you tell yourself.

4. Realize that there are usually no easy decisions. There may not be one clear winner here. Most likely you'll have to compromise and not necessarily do what YOU alone want. Also, remember that nothing is permanent. If you stay where you are or take the offer you wouldn't necessarily stay either place long term. Is that a possibility? Would one job give you more leverage in the future than the other? Would that play into what you do?

Old 05-06-2018, 04:19 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,548,925 times
Quote:
Problem is that my family is very happy with the place we live now. Wife wants to stay and our little guy wants to stay too.
Repeat after me ten times: happy wife = happy life; happy wife = happy life . . .

I understand that you hate your job, but it's now "we" not "you."

It's a bad idea to move to another country if your wife isn't on board with that decision.

One possible compromise: find a job you like in a place your wife likes. Maybe you can stay where you are and return to school for some additional training so you can get a job in your area more to your liking?

In any case, moving without your family sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:04 PM

17,264 posts, read 11,104,090 times
I don't get it. I don't care how crappy my job is, I wouldn't trade a wife and child I love for a job, period. There's nothing to think about and if you have to think about it, you're not the happy family man you pretend you are.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:29 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,672,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I don't get it. I don't care how crappy my job is, I wouldn't trade a wife and child I love for a job, period. There's nothing to think about and if you have to think about it, you're not the happy family man you pretend you are.

I 100% agree!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-06-2018, 08:06 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,501,066 times
Default We Need A Little More Information.

In order for us to help you better, we need to know what state are you living now, and what country are you planning to move to?

Old 05-06-2018, 08:11 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,471,688 times
It would have to be serious life changing money to even be worth considering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues