Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 06:14 PM

17,306 posts, read 11,160,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neosec View Post
I visited some friends in Tennessee a few years back and was uncomfortably cold most of the time I was there. That put a negative bookmark in my brain about Tennessee winters. I feel I want to go farther south. The only way to have great weather all the time is to chase the weather you like.
The problem with that is you need to pick your poison. Warmer winters also means hotter humid summers if you're looking east of the Rockies. It's good to find a compromise IMO where the extremes aren't too bad either way. The farther south you go the more intolerable the summers are.

Old 05-13-2018, 04:16 PM

10,297 posts, read 13,817,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neosec View Post
A post from another thread prompted me to start this one...

Moving to an area you're not familiar with... Sounds like a catch 22.

You can't become familiar with an area until you live there for a while, so you must move there to become familiar.

I think the best you can do is research online and try different places that seem appealing. Trouble is... the grass is always greener and there is an epic amount of marketing noise that can be difficult or impossible to filter through. I think the best anyone can do is to take your best guess, go, and stay long enough to see if it's a fit

I was all set to move to Tampa Bay area, but then Changed my mind, now it's Austin Tx. Austin has been voted the pest place to live two years in a row. Who wouldn't like to live in the "Best Place"?
How does one decide where to live without actually living there?
Cost of living and salary trump absolutely everything when deciding on a move. I look to see where I can afford to live on the salary I'm going to get paid. Then I research, then I visit.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:06 PM

10,974 posts, read 7,049,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Cost of living and salary trump absolutely everything when deciding on a move. I look to see where I can afford to live on the salary I'm going to get paid. Then I research, then I visit.
This is a good approach. Start with a big list of reasonable possibilities, then start narrowing it based on income (what is realistic and doable). Then take your next most important criteria and refine further.

Researching and visiting are enormously important.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:46 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,603,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Arizona is brutally hot, (see todays' temps there), just not all over the state. I lived in the desert of Phoenix for 15 years, hating the brown landscape. So I made trips to places where there was green. Flew to Raleigh, also Greenville, SC and Columbia, MO. My last trip was to Fayetteville, AR. While it was green and beautiful, there were other factors that turned me away. It's difficult to find YOUR place until you do alot of research and visit it too. Also, knowing someone in the new place will definitely ease your fears.
I lived there 15 yrs., too! When May came, I would get so exasperated, knowing it was at least 4 1/2 months of intense heat ahead. It was so unrelenting. I would pray for a cloudy day. Greenville, SC seems to be the spot now for a lot of retirees. Haven't visited.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:58 PM

7,021 posts, read 6,248,286 times
I've heard that May & June are the bad months, then comes July monsoons & it cools down. It's the middle of May & still not bad. In fact, I just now started using fans. I assume it will get worse but, so far, so good.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:32 PM

384 posts, read 374,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
City data was very helpful when I was looking for a place to move to. I was all over the map,falling in love with places I had never been.

My first list included Maine, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Idaho & Tennessee. After a year only Tennessee, Ohio & Idaho made it. Weather, safety & cost of living were my main concerns.

Then I fell twice in the ice & snow while still in Minnesota. Both times were bad falls & I crossed off anything with snow & ice, which meant none kept on the list. Well, Tennessee stayed for quite a while. It got dropped when I heard had reports about allergies, which I also have.

Arizona wasn't even on the list but after reading Dee's blog about moving there I decided to visit. After visiting I decided to move here. Now after reading so many articles about the horrible winters everywhere, I am so glad I moved here.

I haven't experienced summer yet & I am a bit apprehensive, but, outside of a few hot days in September, the weather has been wonderful. So if it's hot for a few months I'll stay inside during the hot hours. It cools down mornings and evenings.

I still plan on visiting other places just to see them & I would like to see if Tennessee would be as bad for my allergies as I read but right now I am very content.

FYI, I was born & raised in Minnesota, which is why I was there.

Arizona wasn't on the list because I had always heard it was too brutally hot. Nice way to keep folks out, lol.

I moved back to Tennessee from Colorado and I will take allergies any day over Black Ice , I had a rollover car accident in Colorado on the black ice . I have had no problems with allergies yet this year and we get ice but nothing like that.

Old 05-15-2018, 05:06 AM

17,306 posts, read 11,160,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I've heard that May & June are the bad months, then comes July monsoons & it cools down. It's the middle of May & still not bad. In fact, I just now started using fans. I assume it will get worse but, so far, so good.
Not really. I also live in the desert SW but not Phoenix. The monsoons bring a very temporary relief while it rains but then shortly afterward, the sun come out and it's very hot again with the addition of high humidity because of the rain.
You can expect it to be brutality hot until mid September many years. May is just a mild taste of it because it still goes back and forth from being tolerable to hot. At some point, it gets very hot and stays very hot. A day in the upper 90s is a relatively cool day with little relief at night except the sun of course isn't out at night. A good heat wave can happen anytime in the summer bringing temps close to 120 and even surpassing that sometimes. The weather is great most of fall, winter and early spring. That's why so many people snow bird to the area.
As far as allergies go, everyone is different. Not everyone in Tenn suffers from allergies although some people will move to the desert and suffer more than they did in middle America.

Last edited by marino760; 05-15-2018 at 05:44 AM..

Old 05-15-2018, 06:51 AM

384 posts, read 374,026 times
Not everyone in Tenn suffers from allergies although some people will move to the desert and suffer more than they did in middle America.

This is so true. The day we left Colorado my oldest sons arms were covered in eczema. His arms are now just about healed up, he needs this humidity. I assumed that the west had less allergies due to the lack of trees , I was so wrong.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:47 AM

8,103 posts, read 8,272,572 times
Austin is very humid. So is Tampa. I can take being outside easily in 100+ degrees when its dry. But 85+ and humid is tough for me.

I lived in Dallas full time since 1978, but as I became more interested in hiking, the weather factor played an important part in my retirement destination decision. My favorite place, weather wise, is San Diego, CA. But I don’t want to live in Kalifornia for many reasons. So Las Vegas and Phoenix became my two cities to decide among. I liked both; just found the entertainment factor more interesting in LV. Still maintain a residence in Dallas and I love that town, too. Its just too humid for me. I don’t ever want to deal with snow on a daily basis; when I want to see snow I can drive an hour to Mt. Charleston outside of LV during winter and ski and throw a snowball and have lunch at the Lodge in front of a roaring fireplace.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:03 PM

219 posts, read 162,311 times
I do think it's helpful to track the weather for areas you are interested in. Usually weather apps will also talk about humidity and pollen. You never know if you are looking at typical weather but it does give you a idea of what the weather will be like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues