U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 06:42 PM

10,366 posts, read 8,359,306 times

Advertisements

Whenever your cat visits the vet closest to your moving date, get her claws trimmed. Not removed, trimmed blunt, so scratching is not so much of an issue. Done correctly, this is entirely pain-free for the cat and the claws will grow back to their ordinary sharpness. My cat is polydactyl and has to have her claws trimmed regularly to avoid the extra one growing into the adjacent toe. Your cat will probably complain loudly - and trimming her nails may be a two-person job - but it will make your life much easier during the move.

Also, brush her thoroughly beforehand if you fly to get rid of as much excess fur and cat dander as possible.

I second using a harness, carrying small treats, and asking the vet about sedation. Even catnip can be somewhat of a sedative - in some cats; others go wild.

If there's a chance you might drive cross-country with her rather than fly, get her accustomed to riding in the car now. Bribe her if need be, with little treats.

Although it is unlikely that your cat will enjoy the journey, no matter which method of transportation you select, that's no reason to rehome a beloved family member. She'll get over it - and so will you.

Good luck with your move, and with your kitty.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:12 PM

2,132 posts, read 982,982 times
I brought 4 cats and 3 dogs back with me from Puerto Rico via cargo. They were all fine, though one of the cats DID freak out and was hiding under the crate pad in the case. Give her kitty sleepy-time meds as suggested by your doctor and put her in cargo.

I didn't medicate any of mine and they were all fine anyway, but if yours freaks in the carrier pre-medicating is probably the way to go.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:01 PM

11,844 posts, read 5,019,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Whenever your cat visits the vet closest to your moving date, get her claws trimmed. Not removed, trimmed blunt, so scratching is not so much of an issue. Done correctly, this is entirely pain-free for the cat and the claws will grow back to their ordinary sharpness. My cat is polydactyl and has to have her claws trimmed regularly to avoid the extra one growing into the adjacent toe. Your cat will probably complain loudly - and trimming her nails may be a two-person job - but it will make your life much easier during the move.

Also, brush her thoroughly beforehand if you fly to get rid of as much excess fur and cat dander as possible.

I second using a harness, carrying small treats, and asking the vet about sedation. Even catnip can be somewhat of a sedative - in some cats; others go wild.

If there's a chance you might drive cross-country with her rather than fly, get her accustomed to riding in the car now. Bribe her if need be, with little treats.

Although it is unlikely that your cat will enjoy the journey, no matter which method of transportation you select, that's no reason to rehome a beloved family member. She'll get over it - and so will you.

Good luck with your move, and with your kitty.
to everything you said.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:39 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,251,071 times
if you google pets in cargo you will see how many of them GET LOST or DIE.

Old 05-20-2018, 12:20 AM

9,657 posts, read 15,787,616 times
I flew with my cat once, and it worked out fine. They sell cages that are airline-approved to fit under the seat in the cabin, try Petco or PetSmart, etc. Do upgrade to first-class, there's more room under the seat. Do NOT give ANY meds with approval from the vet! Also, try to book a direct flight.

Happy Travels!

Old 05-20-2018, 02:45 AM

1,328 posts, read 816,322 times
I actually think the car ride cross-country is less traumatic than flying. And I would also not trust an airline with my family member (pet). Rather safe than sorry.

Old 05-20-2018, 05:45 AM

4,789 posts, read 4,893,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I would have a fit if someone got on a plane next to me with a cat. Cat allergies are much more prevalent than dog allergies.

Sounds like you need to do the drive and not worry about the flying.
^^^ This.

Please be aware that many people are so allergic to cat dander that they can go into Anaphylactic shock.

https://www.healthline.com/health/anaphylactic-shock

When we were first married, I warned my wife that I am extremely allergic to cats and that she should never allow a cat into our home. One day, she ignored that and she invited a kitty into our apartment and fed her a bowl of milk. She shooed out the kitty before I returned from work.

I came home, walked inside, and immediately had an allergic reaction. I got hives, I got a runny nose, and I had trouble breathing.

I said, "Who let a cat in?" My wife got the message. I wasn't kidding.

If I was confined on a plane next to a cat, I'd be in a huge medical emergency. I hope they carry epi pens.

Old 05-20-2018, 06:50 AM

13,102 posts, read 17,661,987 times
Have her transported via a commercial service. It may be considerably less stressful on everybody involved.

Old 05-20-2018, 06:54 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,959,698 times
Please strongly consider driving with your cat:

1. You won't have problems with passengers, TSA, or anyone else.
2. There are many pet-friendly hotels.
3. You vet can give you meds to calm your cat.
4. This is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. As pointed out, you and the cat will get over it!

My cat wasn't happy in her hard shell carrier, but I explained what was happening and why, and then I belted her in and we went down the road. On the first day, she meowed her head off until she was hoarse. On the second day, she meowed for about five minutes, and that was it. On the third day, there there maybe a dozen meows.

Good luck!

Old 05-20-2018, 06:56 AM

16,822 posts, read 8,650,460 times
When I had to move across country, I sent everything to our new destination by moving company expect for some personal valuables, and the cat, and dog. I rented a van one way, and drove for three days. I had to find pet friendly hotels, but that wasn't difficult. It really wasn't bad at all, and the pets didn't seem to mind as they were with Daddy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or