Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 04:00 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,424,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
^^^ This.

Please be aware that many people are so allergic to cat dander that they can go into Anaphylactic shock.

If I was confined on a plane next to a cat, I'd be in a huge medical emergency. I hope they carry epi pens.
If YOU have an allergy that bad, it is incumbent on YOU to carry an epi pen. You know, personal responsibility and all that.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:51 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,206,292 times
You can ask that the carrier be opened in a room with a door.

Do not medicate your pet. Changes in cabin pressure may make it dangerous. Talk to your vet.

Frankly I think it is easier to drive. Yes I moved a cat 1700 miles but we both got there and no one was lost or dead. . . If you bring something familiar into the hotel (favorite blanket?) it helps.

Old 05-20-2018, 06:34 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,148 times
You would be crazy to put the cat in cargo. Also, don't give human meds tpa cat. Ask your VET not random people online.
The cat will have to stay inside the carrier for the flight and the carrier put under the seat in front of you

Old 05-20-2018, 06:54 PM

22,470 posts, read 11,990,487 times
There's lots of good advice in this thread.

Back in the late 60s, when I was a kid, my family moved and we had to take the cat on the plane with us. At that time, if you told the airlines that you had a cat, they would give you a cardboard carrier for the cat that fit under the seat.

Our cat was fine during take off. However, the flight wasn't non-stop so the plane made a stop along the way. When the plane was descending, the cat howled in pain as the change in pressure hurt her ears. Ascending didn't bother her but descending sure did.

Fortunately, the plane was nearly empty and the few people that were on the plane were understanding.

The poor cat was traumatized. When we got to our destination, she refused to eat or go to the bathroom for 5 days. Plus, the hair on her stomach fell out.

I understand that not all cats are the same but these days much more is known about how to prepare a cat for a flight. OP---be sure to heed the good advice!

Old 05-20-2018, 08:38 PM

1,201 posts, read 803,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I would have a fit if someone got on a plane next to me with a cat. Cat allergies are much more prevalent than dog allergies.

Sounds like you need to do the drive and not worry about the flying.
Yes, this! I am highly allergic to cats and would be pretty pi$$ed to find myself seated next to one on a plane.

Old 05-21-2018, 04:59 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Sorry if this offends but IMO putting a pet through all this trauma just so they will be with you on vacation is a pretty selfish thing to do. You have a cat who does not even like to be held, you are doing this for yourself and not the cat who would be much happier staying at home rather than going through all of this. I'd also be worried about drugging a pet, what if it never wakes up?

Old 05-21-2018, 05:28 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Sorry if this offends but IMO putting a pet through all this trauma just so they will be with you on vacation is a pretty selfish thing to do. You have a cat who does not even like to be held, you are doing this for yourself and not the cat who would be much happier staying at home rather than going through all of this. I'd also be worried about drugging a pet, what if it never wakes up?
The OP is not going on vacation - they are moving.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:16 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
The OP is not going on vacation - they are moving.

Ya know I just caught this, I apologize to the OP. For those who take pets on vacation I stand by my comment.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:32 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Ya know I just caught this, I apologize to the OP. For those who take pets on vacation I stand by my comment.
I agree with you on that. I can't imagine taking a cat on vacation. My step-brother used to let his kids do that and I always thought it was ridiculous. They would rent a beach house and bring the cat with them - these were always places that did not allow pets. Their cat made a mess in the houses and my step-brother just didn't seem to even care. He has 8 kids, so I guess he just gave up and let them do whatever they wanted. Luckily, they all grew up to be very responsible members of society with really good jobs, so he must have been doing something right. But I'll still never understand taking a cat on vacation.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:59 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
Talk with your vet. He or she may be able to prescribe something to keep kitty calm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues