Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 12:00 PM

298 posts, read 303,243 times

Advertisements

I would like to bring my pet cat with me across the US by taking her on a plane (we are moving)-I figured this would be less stressful then the long car ride and nightly hotel stays. Cat is 4 yrs old. She hates any type of pet carrier-its a horrible struggle getting her in one as she puts up a fight with her razor sharp claws. She also doesn't like being held for long especially around a lot of people or noises-she will squirm to get down and freak out. I am super worried about bringing her on the plane. I heard you have to remove pets from their carriers to go thru TSA. This would be a potential nightmare as I can just see her squirming out of my arms and running off. Any suggestions from anyone that may have had to travel with a cat would be appreciated. Family says I should find the cat a home and not take her but I don't want to give up on her as I have had her since she was a kitten.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:28 PM

1,054 posts, read 880,131 times
Never travelled with a cat, but all of your worries seem centered around carrying on the pet and going through security.

Just book her in cargo, give her some kitty klonopins, and pick her up when you land.

Pretty much everyone around you on the plane will be very thankful you did it that way.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:54 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,254,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicCarFamily View Post
I would like to bring my pet cat with me across the US by taking her on a plane (we are moving)-I figured this would be less stressful then the long car ride and nightly hotel stays. Cat is 4 yrs old. She hates any type of pet carrier-its a horrible struggle getting her in one as she puts up a fight with her razor sharp claws. She also doesn't like being held for long especially around a lot of people or noises-she will squirm to get down and freak out. I am super worried about bringing her on the plane. I heard you have to remove pets from their carriers to go thru TSA. This would be a potential nightmare as I can just see her squirming out of my arms and running off. Any suggestions from anyone that may have had to travel with a cat would be appreciated. Family says I should find the cat a home and not take her but I don't want to give up on her as I have had her since she was a kitten.
Suppose you succeed in getting the cat on the plane and your assigned seat is beside some mental case with a comfort dog. Have some compasion for your fellow travelers, ship cat in cargo.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:31 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,484,116 times
No way would I trust my cat to an airline. Consult your vet and take her with you in the car.

Mod Note: Moving this to the Moving forum.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:47 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
Start now and get her used to wearing a harness. "she doesn't like" has no place in the matter. She will have to learn to endure. Put the harness on her, snap on a leash and let her lay there looking pitiful. Give her extra loving and treats, whatever. Take her outside in it. Do it every day. She'll play "look, I'm a slingshot" for a while but she will become accustomed to it. Don't travel without it being on her.

I also think having the doggy pee pads in the bottom of the carrier may be helpful if she has an accident. Nothing worse than cat smell! Maybe a large ziplock bag to seal up the smell. You probably won't need it but just in case.

I flew a cat back from Hawaii to Atlanta.Perfect carryon size. I kept a bag of clean kitty litter and, in one airport there was a dog walking area. I had a plastic grocery bag, put it on the floor, put some litter on it and he used it gratefully. There was a dog owner there and they were amazed. of course, I had a small dog with me too.

Don't put your cat in cargo. (or in the overhead bin) A soft carrier is good and children's liquid benadryl is okay for cats.

Our cat was fine. The little dog, however, was a whiny little pain in the neck.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:53 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,111,045 times
hunterseat: You said..... "children's liquid benadryl is okay for cats".

Did the vet recommend this? I hesitate with giving something not necessarily meant for cats as I would be worried about the effect. I have a nervous cat and whenever he rides in the car (always in a carrier) he pees and sometimes poops no matter how short the ride.

I need a way to safely and comfortably (for the cat) transport him from NY to VA in a few months by car.

Old 05-19-2018, 04:12 PM

Here's a link that gives you dosage.

https://www.petmd.com/cat/general-he...e-cat-benadryl

Old 05-19-2018, 04:20 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,111,045 times
^^^^^^^ Thank you!

Old 05-19-2018, 04:49 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,801,403 times
I would have a fit if someone got on a plane next to me with a cat. Cat allergies are much more prevalent than dog allergies.

Sounds like you need to do the drive and not worry about the flying.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I would have a fit if someone got on a plane next to me with a cat. Cat allergies are much more prevalent than dog allergies.

Sounds like you need to do the drive and not worry about the flying.

If you'd been on the flight from Hawaii to Seattle then to Atlanta, it would be the dog you'd be having a fit about. You'd never know the cat was there. He was very cool. And, of course, he stayed in his carrier. Under the seat. The dog? Lord have mercy she was a wreck. I just knew I was going to overdose her on Benadryl! It didn't seem to phase her. It was her 4th flight, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues