Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 07:25 PM

6,558 posts, read 8,389,581 times

Advertisements

OP, does the location of the other school offer more things you’d enjoy? I understand missing your family but other than that would you be less miserable at the other school? Also consider, in this two year period, how often you will visit them while living 250 miles away versus 750 miles away.

Something else occurred to me - are you sad to be moving away and the location just magnifies that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 09:46 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Before I started my junior year of HS, my father, who worked for the government, took a transfer to a US territory off the Mainland. It was a big adjustment. While we were still on US soil, there was still culture shock. The school we went to was a lot tougher than the previous school which meant my brothers and I had a rough start there. Over time, I got to love going to school there! I had been bullied in my last school and no one bullied me in the new school. The result was that I thrived. To this day, I am grateful that I had this chance in my life.

OTOH, my mother was miserable. She was constantly complaining. I suggested to her that she adjust to living there. Her response was to scream at me and tell me that she refused to adjust. As a result, she did her best to make the rest of the family miserable. School turned out to be my refuge. I actually was sad when it came time to graduate.

I'm relaying my experience to point out that attitude plays a large part when it comes to being happy where you are. You may find that you really enjoy your classes and instructors plus meet some great people. Just approach this new experience with an open mind.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:37 AM

9 posts, read 6,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
OP, does the location of the other school offer more things you’d enjoy? I understand missing your family but other than that would you be less miserable at the other school? Also consider, in this two year period, how often you will visit them while living 250 miles away versus 750 miles away.

Something else occurred to me - are you sad to be moving away and the location just magnifies that?
Yes, the other location has everything I would enjoy that would make things better. If I could move that school closer I’d go in a second. However the distance is the biggest con. It is really far to drive (I did it and it was a 12 hr drive) and flights are expensive ($500-800) since it’s a smaller city airport. I would like to visit at least monthly. I said I would miss my family but I’m finding I’ll miss my pets more. Unfortunately I cannot take all of them with me.

Honestly, yes to the last question. I am sad to move away and the less than ideal location magnifies it. As a teenager I couldn’t wait to get out of this town. I came back after I lost a job at 32...and now I realize it’s not a terrible place to be. Sure there’s a lot of the stereotypical redneck mentality here, but there are also other people that share your views/likes. I like the rural setting and that I can sleep at night without locking a door (I don’t do that but probably could) and how I can be in an area with amenities I like in 45 minutes. This new location is about 2-2 21/2-3 hours from anything other than Walmart’s, but there is some stuff. So yes, you’ve hit the nail on the head.

I’ve decided like someone on here mentioned, to make small “goals” toward making the time pass. So Sept has Labor Day, October has nothing so maybe I can make a 2 hr drive for some stuff at a Costco one day, November has Thanksgiving vacation and December has Christmas vacation. Then theres nothing until Spring break in March so maybe Feb I can do something else, April there’s nothing and May is the end of year one. My week will be busy with school since my schedule is basically 8-4, so that time should pass more quickly than I’m thinking.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:52 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
Google maps says it's 1hr 10m from Galax to the Trader Joe's in Winston-Salem. Sure it's not super close, but you could easily get a cooler and do a weekly trip down there and combine it with some other stores and things in order to get out of any small town mental funk you find your self in.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:18 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,470,515 times
If you are in this much angst about moving to this particular location, then don't. You have options.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:55 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
You will be as happy as you make your mind up to be. Remember that. Find folks and activities you like, more than Hulu. Everywhere has something to offer. Fishing, Hiking, Golf, Biking, Parks, lakes, mountains, etc...An example, I frequently traveled for wrok to a location that was like you describe. But, it had a nice golf course for cheap, and though Golf isn't my favorite pursuit, I took advantage.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:13 AM

6,558 posts, read 8,389,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by um80 View Post
Yes, the other location has everything I would enjoy that would make things better. If I could move that school closer I’d go in a second. However the distance is the biggest con. It is really far to drive (I did it and it was a 12 hr drive) and flights are expensive ($500-800) since it’s a smaller city airport. I would like to visit at least monthly. I said I would miss my family but I’m finding I’ll miss my pets more. Unfortunately I cannot take all of them with me.
OP, since you burst into tears at Wal-mart over this move, I'm inclined to tell you to move where you'll be happier or don't move at all. Sure you won't be able to visit as often, but your overall, day to day existence will be happier (which will be more conducive to learning!).

Wouldn't you rather have the occasional pangs of missing your pets and family but be happy every day? Instead, you're looking at being happy just one weekend a month, and all the other days of being unhappy.

What type of school are you attending?

Old 05-31-2018, 10:19 AM

569 posts, read 440,162 times
I sent you a PM to find out exactly where you will be moving. Not to be nosy but I lived in that portion of the state for several years and I would like to provide some suggestions on things I know of that are interesting nearby that you might enjoy.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:46 PM

9 posts, read 6,750 times
I know it really isn’t going to be THAT terrible. It is just the general apprehensiveness of leaving my comfort zone. I just need to vent to random strangers instead of nagging friends/family. They definitely add to the feeling of anxiety.

I remember my first weeks of undergrad all those years ago and I wanted to go home frequently. I eventually got over it and felt sad about leaving...and it was not in a super awesome fun area either

Old 05-31-2018, 02:18 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by um80 View Post
I know it really isn’t going to be THAT terrible.
It is just the general apprehensiveness of leaving my comfort zone.
I just need to vent to random strangers instead of nagging friends/family.
They definitely add to the feeling of anxiety.
On behalf of random strangers everywhere... please don't do that.
This is what therapists are for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues