Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 11:16 AM

5,213 posts, read 3,009,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Yes, it does include them. If they get injured while working on your property, your homeowners insurance won't cover it. So it's something to think about. Check the laws in your state as each state is different.
Wow, things have certainly changed since I was a teenager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 12:17 PM

320 posts, read 2,528,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Lots of people in the US are do-it-yourselfers. At home projects are a huge thing here. These folks were talking about moving heavy furniture down stairs. Some people have bad backs, are elderly, or just small, and not strong enough.
Yes, this. I'm very capable of DIY around the house, fixing appliances, paint, handiwork... I'll attempt it until the point that if I can't figure it out, then I'll hire someone.

As for packing our house into a POD, I'm doing all that myself as well, boxing, wrapping, and loading the downstairs furniture into the POD with a relative.

We will carry what we can fromm upstairs, but there are some big pieces -- dresser, washer drier -- that I'd rather bring in licensed help rather than risk injury to myself. And if I'm hiring someone for an hourly minimum, then let them carry it all down. I'm selling a house, moving across country, lots to do... don't need to fall down the stairs carrying a washer. Even when the pros delivered that washer, it was a haul for them.

Yes, it is sad we live in a litigious society, but I'd be a fool to hire two unlicensed kids, have them fall down the stairs with a washer on top of them and lose everything in some dumb lawsuit.

I'll check out the recommended movers, thanks

Old 06-03-2018, 01:50 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Lots of people in the US are do-it-yourselfers. At home projects are a huge thing here. These folks were talking about moving heavy furniture down stairs. Some people have bad backs, are elderly, or just small, and not strong enough.
this is true.. I know what you mean but even at that we still try on our own partly because we cant afford movers..

Old 06-03-2018, 02:09 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motifone View Post

I'll check out the recommended movers, thanks
Also try a temporary labor agency. Their people will be bonded and insured. Probably charge by the hour or day. Might be less costly than movers.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:11 PM

73 posts, read 113,633 times
As a professional mover, I can tell you that we receive these calls a lot, and more often than not, our minimum charges exceed what individuals would be willing to pay.

Movers set up their pricing so that it is geared towards entire households, and more often than not, We have minimum in place. While you may only have a handful of pieces to be brought down steps, You might as well hire the moving company to load the pods container as well - You'll be paying the same regardless.

Honestly, You're better off buying a Pizza and tossing some teenagers $20.00 each than forking over $300-400 for a job as simple as this.

Old 06-04-2018, 02:12 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Yes, it does include them. If they get injured while working on your property, your homeowners insurance won't cover it. So it's something to think about. Check the laws in your state as each state is different.
For heavy furniture that must be moved down a flight of stairs, hire people who know hiw to do this without injuring themselves!

For baby sitting or walking the dog, the possibilities for injury are much less worrisome.

We have, or had, an insurance policy that covers just that sort of situation—that is someone injuring themselves while working on our house who has no insurance, or someone who happens to be on our property, and injures herself. But even with insurance, do you want some teens who are not accustomed to doing furniture hauling moving heavy furniture down a flight of stairs?

Old 06-04-2018, 02:27 PM

320 posts, read 2,528,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanATVL View Post
As a professional mover, I can tell you that we receive these calls a lot, and more often than not, our minimum charges exceed what individuals would be willing to pay.

Movers set up their pricing so that it is geared towards entire households, and more often than not, We have minimum in place. While you may only have a handful of pieces to be brought down steps, You might as well hire the moving company to load the pods container as well - You'll be paying the same regardless.

Honestly, You're better off buying a Pizza and tossing some teenagers $20.00 each than forking over $300-400 for a job as simple as this.
Yes, have been requested quotes via Yelp and there are the hourly minimums, which I understand, but I am also getting canned replies as I can see haven't read my request. Probably need to call them, but still understand the minimum.

I'll give some thought to POD loading, but the heavier stuff is going to be sold, and the other stuff my friend and I can handle. Sort of loading the POD progressively by tier so won't quite be ready to have mover's load it in a 3 hour window. Good suggestions though to consider.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:58 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I might be wrong but in reading some posts on CD I notice that not many people fix things themselves the way we do here in the UK.. most of us never call an electrician to put up new overhead lighting, or small things like plugs...etc.. My hubby put in our shower and fixes all the electrical stuff. same with plumbing.. unless its a really big job he cant handle.. We both do all the garden work which included decking, laying slabs and stones etc.. and pick up what we need from the DIY shops.. hardly every getting deliveries.... and wouldnt dream of asking a company to move furniture . All of my sons cant fix jobs around the house putting down flooring, decorating their houses and putting kitchen units together .. maybe some kids over there should be taught some stuff and save a lot of money in getting companies in to do jobs...
You are wrong, and I'm surprised at this kind of response. Not all of us have husbands and sons; not all of us can haul heavy pieces of furniture up and down stairs by ourselves. If you can, more power to you, but judging people because they cannot is just mean spirited.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:24 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I might be wrong but in reading some posts on CD I notice that not many people fix things themselves the way we do here in the UK.. most of us never call an electrician to put up new overhead lighting, or small things like plugs...etc.. My hubby put in our shower and fixes all the electrical stuff. same with plumbing.. unless its a really big job he cant handle.. We both do all the garden work which included decking, laying slabs and stones etc.. and pick up what we need from the DIY shops.. hardly every getting deliveries.... and wouldnt dream of asking a company to move furniture . All of my sons cant fix jobs around the house putting down flooring, decorating their houses and putting kitchen units together .. maybe some kids over there should be taught some stuff and save a lot of money in getting companies in to do jobs...

"The way we do it in tke U.K?" You mean the way your husband does it.

There are a lot of women, single or widowed, aged or young--and men, too-- who might not be able to perform physical labor. ...or the "really big jobs" you said your husband wouldn't be able to handle.

So stop being so judgmental because people are asking for assistance to perform tasks. Their reasons for not being able to do everything--or something in particular--are just as valid as yours.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:48 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
Go around to the local firehouse and see if there are some men who would like to make some $$ on the side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues