Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 11:39 AM

320 posts, read 2,529,602 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I have about 8-10 pieces of furniture I need brought down from rooms on the second floor of my house to the first floor/garage. No loading onto a truck, no wrapping -- I just need them brought downstairs to sell off and/or load into my POD. My friend and I will load the pieces I am keeping into the POD. Coming down from the upstairs we have a set of stairs going down, then a landing, then more stairs. The items I'd like brought down are essentially too heavy (dressers, front load washer/dryer, etc) and I think it'd be better for all involved if someone with the right manpower and gear carry that down (shoulder dolly, etc).

I imagine the job would take an hour, two tops. I'm going to request some quotes from "moving" companies on Yelp, but I am missing any other avenues/types of movers to consider? Is "movers" the right service to look for you think? I'm reluctant to just recruit who aren't movers in case someone falls, etc. We're in Orange County, CA if someone is local and has a recommended favorite. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 12:24 PM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motifone View Post
...about 8-10 pieces of furniture I need brought down ...to the first floor/garage
to sell off and/or load into my POD.

...but am I missing any other avenues/types of movers to consider?
This should be getting done by a neighbors HS football team son and his friend.
$20 each and few cold drinks.

Quote:
I'm reluctant to just recruit who aren't movers in case....
I hate reading about this sort of fear and worry how much it plays into
why so many HS kids don't seem to have any practical experience in life

Old 06-02-2018, 01:31 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,621,554 times
You could contact the Moving Helpers that U-Haul and Penske recommended:

https://www.uhaul.com/MovingHelp/

https://www.pensketruckrental.com/su.../moving-labor/

Old 06-02-2018, 10:40 PM

22,471 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

I know in my state if you hire someone to work in your home and that person isn't licensed or insured, should that person get injured my homeowners insurance wouldn't pay for it.

OP---if your state has similar laws, then your instincts are correct when it comes to hiring a licensed and insured moving company.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:50 AM

4 posts, read 3,925 times
We had a nearly identical situation...needed to move a few pieces of furniture and some boxes from our upstairs down to the first floor/garage. We used Meathead Movers. They advertise that they use student athletes from local schools. Everything went fine; they arrived on time (3 of them) and worked very smoothly.

I forget all the details, but I thought they billed by the hour with a certain minimum on the number of hours. However, I seem to remember that if we could be flexible on the day/time for the move, they were flexible on the minimum number of hours, so the deal worked out well for us. We also saved a bit by telling them they did not need to wrap the walls with any kind of protection - if any paint got scuffed or scratched, that would be on us, not them.

They have something like a main 800 or 866 number, but I think I called their 714 number at their Santa Ana office to discuss the flexibility on the minimum hour thing.

BTW, the major reason we used a moving company rather than non-professionals was exactly what BOS21AD above mentioned re liability issues.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:06 AM

5,213 posts, read 3,013,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I know in my state if you hire someone to work in your home and that person isn't licensed or insured, should that person get injured my homeowners insurance wouldn't pay for it.

OP---if your state has similar laws, then your instincts are correct when it comes to hiring a licensed and insured moving company.
Does that include teenagers who babysit your kids, walk your dog and mow your lawn?

Old 06-03-2018, 04:44 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

I might be wrong but in reading some posts on CD I notice that not many people fix things themselves the way we do here in the UK.. most of us never call an electrician to put up new overhead lighting, or small things like plugs...etc.. My hubby put in our shower and fixes all the electrical stuff. same with plumbing.. unless its a really big job he cant handle.. We both do all the garden work which included decking, laying slabs and stones etc.. and pick up what we need from the DIY shops.. hardly every getting deliveries.... and wouldnt dream of asking a company to move furniture . All of my sons cant fix jobs around the house putting down flooring, decorating their houses and putting kitchen units together .. maybe some kids over there should be taught some stuff and save a lot of money in getting companies in to do jobs...

Old 06-03-2018, 07:01 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,982 times
Used furniture? Either throw it in the dumpster or put an ad out on Craigslist or even Freecycle. If someone wants it badly enough they'll haul it themselves.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:14 AM

11,123 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I might be wrong but in reading some posts on CD I notice that not many people fix things themselves the way we do here in the UK.. most of us never call an electrician to put up new overhead lighting, or small things like plugs...etc.. My hubby put in our shower and fixes all the electrical stuff. same with plumbing.. unless its a really big job he cant handle.. We both do all the garden work which included decking, laying slabs and stones etc.. and pick up what we need from the DIY shops.. hardly every getting deliveries.... and wouldnt dream of asking a company to move furniture . All of my sons cant fix jobs around the house putting down flooring, decorating their houses and putting kitchen units together .. maybe some kids over there should be taught some stuff and save a lot of money in getting companies in to do jobs...
Lots of people in the US are do-it-yourselfers. At home projects are a huge thing here. These folks were talking about moving heavy furniture down stairs. Some people have bad backs, are elderly, or just small, and not strong enough.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:11 AM

22,471 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Does that include teenagers who babysit your kids, walk your dog and mow your lawn?
Yes, it does include them. If they get injured while working on your property, your homeowners insurance won't cover it. So it's something to think about. Check the laws in your state as each state is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues