U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 10:33 AM

6,553 posts, read 7,977,981 times

Advertisements

Normally people buy cardboard boxes that they pack with dishes, clothes, decor, small electronics, etc, etc. and the movers put them on a truck, or the professional movers pack your stuff in the cardboard boxes and insure them as they put them on the truck.

But what about other types of containers if you do the packing yourself? Are rubbermaid containers acceptable? How about small metal trash cans (never before used for trash, lol)? The rubbermaid type containers would need to be sturdy of course to not twist while being moved. Maybe with the lids taped on with a couple over-the-top circles of packing tape. The metal cans might be great for breakables, if packed well. In a professional move, are these alternative containers allowed? For me personally, these would be a lot easier to pack and move around the house while doing so. Plus I already have a bunch of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 10:42 AM

1,353 posts, read 3,202,779 times
during my last interstate move my movers groaned when they saw totes - they hate them!! the handles usually stick out and won't allow tight packing, they will tip if other totes or boxes aren't packed correctly. I thought they'd make things easier - but according to the movers I used from Georgia to North Carolina - no. When I moved many years ago I had access to copy paper boxes and those made packing and moving a breeze. Many of them have handles built in - but they are easy to pack in - and even packed "heavy" they are sturdy and manageable. I was warned by several moving companies not to use boxes from Grocery or Liquor stores because of bug infestation.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:17 PM

28,496 posts, read 62,167,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Normally people buy cardboard boxes
Most good sized towns have a company that MAKES cardboard boxes for products.
Find one and then buy their seconds.

Brand new. Clean. Same size. Cheap.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:28 PM

13,239 posts, read 17,779,749 times
We moved DIY - liquor boxes. Talk to the local stores and ask when they get delivery. What holds six gallons of booze will hold books and dividers are great for stem ware. Beg them not to cut the boxes.

Plastic works fine. We just taped the usual Christmas, hunting, other seasonal storage up.

Metal - never tried it. What are you considering?

All our international or paid by employer moves were packed, delivered and unpacked. Only a few pieces of oversized art work and stone countertops were packed/unpacked by specialty companies - wooden crates, …. still damage on one painting during the last move and six months of getting it fixed.

U-pack - all bets are off.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:42 PM

115 posts, read 50,396 times
We have been buying trunks for our move. Many were $20, which is not much more than you'd pay for a Rubbermaid bin. (We've bought a lot of bins as well). The trunks will be used for items that need extra protection. We have been kicking around the idea of finding bins that can stack in the trunks, loading the bins, then putting the bins in the trunk once the trunk is in the truck. And we like using the trunks in the house. As we are packing up the house, we've put some things into trunks to get it out of the way. We sold off the bedroom furniture, so those clothes are all in trunks.

We are moving ourselves, in our own truck, so we can do this as we like. I did buy a few U-Haul boxes for glassware and dishes. Those will all go into trunks. We are doing a cross county move and trying to come up with ways to organize it.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:46 PM

73 posts, read 56,251 times
Cardboard is the cheapest, and most effective.

I would highly suggest against using excess numbers of rubbermaid totes. Us movers groan at the site of these, because individuals try to pack insane items in these like books and dishes, and they're not durable by any means at all. The heat alone in these trucks during the summertime will literally melt these totes.

With a professional move, The items that the movers pack are not insured, per se. Any protection that a mover places on your move is only an extension of liability - there is no insurance policy at all.

Professional Movers will move whatever you want them to, so long as it's containerized by whatever means. Their liability does not extend to your packing abilities, or failure to pack in proper containers however. If anything breaks as a result of your packing or packing materials - this would be on you.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:48 PM

7,123 posts, read 2,921,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
during my last interstate move my movers groaned when they saw totes - they hate them!! the handles usually stick out and won't allow tight packing, they will tip if other totes or boxes aren't packed correctly. I thought they'd make things easier - but according to the movers I used from Georgia to North Carolina - no. When I moved many years ago I had access to copy paper boxes and those made packing and moving a breeze. Many of them have handles built in - but they are easy to pack in - and even packed "heavy" they are sturdy and manageable. I was warned by several moving companies not to use boxes from Grocery or Liquor stores because of bug infestation.
Large plastic totes....never again. Cardboard boxes, yes please. If you overfill totes they either split or lose their handles from the weight or are too awkward and heavy to handle. Where do broken plastic totes end up? Added to landfills. Cardboard and paper packing materials can all be recycled or biodegrade. I used professional movers 2 years ago and had a few plastic totes. Every single one was damaged beyond use. As already said, their odd shapes won't pack tightly (and tight packing helps stabilize and protect stuff), don't stack well and are generally pretty hard to protect from damage. There is almost always wasted unusable space if you try to pack anything other than crushable clothing or linens in them.

OTOH, using smaller plastic storage boxes to keep all those little items from different rooms organized can work as long as the contents aren't too heavy. These are actually useful as they can be stacked inside larger cardboard moving boxes.

When I have moved using pros, they cataloged everything and provided a lump sum by weight type coverage for items THEY packed. A few things were damaged, but I used their claim process to repair or replace them. High value items (according to me) were identified, tracked, and covered separately. I had a few art pieces I chose to pack myself. They were marked as Owner Pack which reduces their liability for obvious reasons, but I knew my packing would be overkill and more than adequate. A few special things I really cared about traveled with me in the car.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-19-2018 at 03:00 PM..

Old 06-19-2018, 04:21 PM
KCZ

1,677 posts, read 970,826 times
Let the movers (if you use any) pack your books and pictures. Their book boxes are extra strong and they can do all the heavy lifting. Get some giant U-Haul boxes for light stuff like lamps, pillows, towels, and bedding.

Be mindful of small appliances and tools. On my last move, I packed my Kitchen Aid stand mixer in the box it came in, wrapped and packed in towels. When I arrived at my new home, I discovered the movers had turned the box on its side because "it fit better in the truck that way" and most of the oil had drained out of it into the towels. KA said it couldn't be re-oiled, and it worked exactly one month before it ground to a halt. The moving company disallowed my claim because "it worked for a month, so something must have happened to it later." Mark everything "this side up" if relevant.

Usually movers won't transport cleaning products, which you're going to want asap in your new home. I'd think a small metal trash can would be great for those if you have room for it in your car.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:28 PM

115 posts, read 50,396 times
Please be aware that there is a huge difference between bins. The Sterlite ones from Walmart are the worst. They break without even putting anything in them. I have Rubbermaid bins that I've had for close to 20 years that are still fine.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:43 PM

7,185 posts, read 11,229,995 times
The problem we had with Totes was in storage. We lived in an apartment while the current house was being built.

We put about 25 of them in a non-climate controlled storage unit. When the warm season hit, the tubs wilted and the stacks collapsed to the floor spilling and damaging a lot of the contents.

Had to repack them all and move them up to our climate controlled storage unit with the furniture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or