U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2018, 10:26 AM

11 posts, read 5,433 times

Advertisements

Hi

We are in the process of relocating to Florida. The husband got a job in Palm Coast and we are in the process of selling our current house.

I am trying to get advice from other people that have moved and relocated on purchasing a house or renting in the time being. We do have two kids so the schools are important to us.

So he has to be down there by end of July. Our plan right now is for me to stay up here with the kids until our house sells. Then I will move down with the kids.

The issue that we are having is trying to figure out housing for him and then for all of us once I get down there. I wanted to just put him in an air b and b for the time being to give us a little bit of time to figure out if we are going to rent or buy but he has to have a Florida's driver's license within 2 weeks of employment due to working at a Florida government job.

So now we are trying to figure out if we should just try to find him a furnished apartment for really cheap and risk having a double rent/mortgage payment for 6-7 months minimum.

I personally would like to buy a house-we are looking at the Saint Augustine area due to the schools, etc but I will not have a job when I move down. I really can't start looking for a job until our house sells because we need my salary up here to make our house payment.

I am just wondering from anyone else that has relocated a family on just one salary, were you able to purchase a house on the one income or not? Or how did you go about doing it?

We are both taking pay cuts to move down there-we know Florida cost of living is less so in our profession we won't get as much money but I am just trying to figure this all out with getting the kids into good schools so we aren't bouncing them around as well as being sure our finances are not messed up either.

Any help from anyone that has gone through the process and what you have done with one spouse moving down and the other one trailing behind.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 12:15 PM

28,498 posts, read 62,182,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeppers4 View Post
We are in the process of relocating to Florida.
The husband got a job in Palm Coast ...
The quality and stability of the job is the biggest piece in all these questions...
but will always be the last factor to be understood. Be wary of assuming too much too soon.

Quote:
...and we are in the process of selling our current house.
How is the market there? Most of the US has a strong sellers market.

As to 'the process' that's about clearing and cleaning and minor fixing so the house can be shown.
Are you well started on that?

Quote:
So he has to be down there by end of July.
Our plan right now is for me to stay up here with the kids until our house sells.
Then I will move down with the kids.
Is there any reason to believe everything can't be wrapped by Sept 1?

If it can't sell promptly then that raises all sort of problems.
Do you have such problems?
What do the RE agents there say?

Quote:
The issue that we are having is trying to figure out housing for him
and then for all of us once I get down there.
Extended Stay, furnished sublet, AirBnB... LOT's of options.
Options that don't require signing long(er) term leases.

Quote:
I personally would like to buy a house-
I'll always recommend delaying that entire set of choices for a while.
Especially so when the employer isn't footing the relocation bills.

Look for the most convenient -adequate- property in the best school district.
(easier said than done... but it is the mission)

Last edited by MrRational; 06-24-2018 at 12:24 PM..

Old 06-24-2018, 12:42 PM

1,574 posts, read 580,683 times
Mr Rational gave you some great advice!

Yes!! You have to think everything through very carefully, especially if the new employer is not providing assistance such as paying for an extended-stay room at a hotel.

When considering your moving expenses, also remember the IRS changed the rules effective Jan. 1, 2018 and moving expenses for work cannot be deducted on taxes effective this year, and some company-paid expenses are now taxed as additional income. Check the IRS website for all the details...

Congratulations on the new job!
Good luck with your move!

Old 06-25-2018, 09:19 PM

11 posts, read 5,433 times
Market in our area is good. Average time in the market is 90 days but there are houses that I’ve seen sold in our neighborhood in just a few weeks. Our house is actually already on the market. We did a lot of work to it this spring knowing that if we did get a job offer we wanted to get it on the market as soon as possible.

I’m just not sure if we can get approved for a loan on one salary. I’m in the process of working with a realator and a mortgage broker to see what we can do.

I wanted to have him do an air B and B which is more short term but he has to have a Florida’s drivers license within two weeks of employment. How can he get a license if he is staying at an air B and B?? I don’t believe you get a lease with renting that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or