Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 04:56 PM

326 posts, read 199,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
So... who here has moved in their mid-40s (or early 40s or even late 30s) to another state, why did you move, and how did it turn out?
I moved from the east coast to the Seattle metro area about 7 years ago at 37 years old. I was out of work due to the recession and I had to move to where the work was. I had applied all over the US and got a call from Washington state. I interviewed over the phone and got the job offer. I did all the preliminary paperwork via email and did the drug testing locally. Once I got the offer I sold everything off and packed the car and took off. I was also single so I didn't have any extra baggage other than what I put in the car... LOL

It's turned out fine. I've nearly tripled my annual income compared to what I was making before the move... and everything is good.

Sometimes you just gotta take a chance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 09:21 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,103,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Really, come on! Who moves to another place without a job? I am so tired of reading this on City Data Forum.

When someone asks about an area to relocate, they generally have a job lined up. There are also people who for what ever reason, do not need a job.
My husband and I and our two children (aged 3 & 5 at the time) moved from NJ to NC with no jobs! It was a VERY risky move and we rented out our house in NJ just in case things didn't work out and we decided to move back. We were confident that we'd get work - even if it wasn't our dream jobs to begin with. It did work out and we've been here 13 years now (and added a child!).

I don't know that I would endorse that though unless you have a bunch of savings to live off.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:05 AM

946 posts, read 1,136,028 times
Glad I found this thread! Im in my mid 40's and wife 30's. We moved from Orange County CA three years ago to Houston TX. Wife wanted to open a small business and we wanted to afford a nice house. We've accomplished these goals and after 3 years I'm still having trouble adjusting. Not truly happy. I love the Cali lifestyle and just can't get it here in Houston. Not that I expected to be similar to Cali.

Living in Houston has great financial benefits unlike Southern Cali. But to me, I rather be happy and truly enjoy my lifestyle. We're planning to move back. I'll be honest it's scary, at least I know what to expect and will do my best to plan our move.

I will be surely using this forum for tips. Thx for sharing your stories!

Old 07-28-2018, 10:05 AM

731 posts, read 935,707 times
We moved from a high COL area to a medium COL area (mid 40's). We had a kid starting middle school and finishing elementary. It's been really nice. There have been many unexpected costs in our new location that make it not quite as cheap as we thought (although housing was less than half price), but we really appreciate the slower pace of life, lack of traffic, and opportunities for our kids (in the suburbs now).

My youngest told me one day that she thought moving would be the worst thing ever, but instead "wasn't that bad". Hooray! I feel like they just learned a life lesson in resilience and what they are capable of adjusting to.

I wanted to move badly. I just couldn't handle the business and overcrowding of the city anymore, so it was really worth it to me. However, I wouldn't recommend moving just for a house. I spent 3 years researching the location we moved to. I suggest that you have some really solid reasons for moving, or else you might just find yourself pining for the past.

All in all it was a great move for us and we appreciate new scenery to check out. It was just the life adjustment that I needed.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:12 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfertx View Post
Glad I found this thread! Im in my mid 40's and wife 30's. We moved from Orange County CA three years ago to Houston TX. Wife wanted to open a small business and we wanted to afford a nice house. We've accomplished these goals and after 3 years I'm still having trouble adjusting. Not truly happy. I love the Cali lifestyle and just can't get it here in Houston. Not that I expected to be similar to Cali.

Living in Houston has great financial benefits unlike Southern Cali. But to me, I rather be happy and truly enjoy my lifestyle. We're planning to move back. I'll be honest it's scary, at least I know what to expect and will do my best to plan our move.

I will be surely using this forum for tips. Thx for sharing your stories!
I think it would always be hard to move from a place you already like. For me, I could never live in CA again, the high cost of living and crushing taxes just prevent me from ever wanting to be there again except to visit. But if you like where you are, and you move, that's a huge risk.

I hate where I am, and my friend circle has gradually dwindled as people moved away or we stopped being friends, so though I'm closer to 40 than I am to 30, I'm looking forward to starting over again when it comes to friends and building a new network. I can't wait to live in a no income tax state finally (NV, not TX haha).

Old 07-30-2018, 07:14 AM

946 posts, read 1,136,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I think it would always be hard to move from a place you already like. For me, I could never live in CA again, the high cost of living and crushing taxes just prevent me from ever wanting to be there again except to visit. But if you like where you are, and you move, that's a huge risk.

I hate where I am, and my friend circle has gradually dwindled as people moved away or we stopped being friends, so though I'm closer to 40 than I am to 30, I'm looking forward to starting over again when it comes to friends and building a new network. I can't wait to live in a no income tax state finally (NV, not TX haha).
I really tried to like TX. You do save a lot $$ but in a way you pay for it in other ways if not monetary, the intense humidity and other things I could go on. I guess no place is perfect but Cali for me has family, friends and lifestyle.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:12 AM

Yeah sometimes family and friends makes something worthwhile even if the on paper reasons don't always add up. I know how that is. I moved back to Oregon because of my GF and my dad and my friends, but with an eye toward getting out again (because I still liked LA way more than I like Portland haha). I don't like humidity either, I wouldn't do great with that, and despite no income taxes in Texas, it wouldn't be the place for me, property taxes are WAY too high. I could never own the kind of house I want to be in living in Texas, the property taxes are so crushing that it's a wash between income / property taxes, they're just basically making you pay for a nice lifestyle. So if you could live in a tiny little house with a huge income, you'd benefit, but if you want to enjoy your lifestyle, forget about it.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:31 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Really, come on! Who moves to another place without a job?
Blue collar folks who are single/no kids. It's not unheard of and it can be done if you have savings and know where the jobs are. You book an extended stay-type place, sell/toss your stuff and fly/go Greyhound to your destination if you're not driving or don't want to spend a ton on a POD, apply for state ID and perhaps a PO box(these employers want local instead of out-of-state) and you go from there. I may have to do the same if things don't work out where I'm at.

I'm 35. I may not have a ton of experience but I have enough "unskilled" industrial work under my belt to find something(on top of my BA and computer knowledge). From what I can tell the best areas are in the midwest, the major Texas metros(except San Antonio) and even upstate NY?

Old 08-01-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Blue collar folks who are single/no kids. It's not unheard of and it can be done if you have savings and know where the jobs are. You book an extended stay-type place, sell/toss your stuff and fly/go Greyhound to your destination if you're not driving or don't want to spend a ton on a POD, apply for state ID and perhaps a PO box(these employers want local instead of out-of-state) and you go from there. I may have to do the same if things don't work out where I'm at.

I'm 35. I may not have a ton of experience but I have enough "unskilled" industrial work under my belt to find something(on top of my BA and computer knowledge). From what I can tell the best areas are in the midwest, the major Texas metros(except San Antonio) and even upstate NY?
Besides that, who moves to a place without a job? People who don't need jobs?! I run my company remotely, I can live wherever, and even if I didn't have my company, I have investment income that makes where I live only relevant as far as the state taxes I will or won't pay (depending on the source of the income, of course). So the answer is lots of people can move wherever they want without regard to the local job market.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:59 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,896,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post

Markets are improving in a lot of areas so I would suggest researching online by running job searches for locations you have interest in.

You can also overcome that "out of area candidate" issue by taking your address off your resume and crafting a cover letter stating your intention to relo to the area. You can also add it to your resume; it's worked out well for me. It got me the hell out of TN back up here to where I love to be in the snow-n-cloud belt

Indiana is doing pretty well for manufacturing; I see a lot of jobs come up there all of the time. If you know how to do CNC programming or even operate a CNC you will be a hot commodity here in Erie. Ohio (Cleveland area) also has a decent amount of manufacturing jobs as does the Detroit area. Upstate NY is another place where you can find positions and all of these places have relatively low cost of living. Pittsburgh has some manufacturing and also tech jobs (your computer background) and is also low COL.

There's also some places in the South that are manufacturing spots but not sure what kind of climate you are going for here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues