U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 12:30 PM

6,549 posts, read 7,974,458 times

Advertisements

Your plan is the best. It will be a lot more rewarding with all of the scenery and sense of personal accomplishment. I would suggest that you do not carry gasoline inside the car however--very dangerous, especially from fumes. If you can afford it get AAA coverage so that if you break down they will help locate a tow service. As a young woman (I am now retired) I traveled 2000 miles by myself in a 24 yr old vehicle from LA to the midwest for college, bringing my dog along. It was fabulous. I picked the most scenic route and hit a couple of national parks along the way.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:43 PM

1,765 posts, read 3,752,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Your plan is the best. It will be a lot more rewarding with all of the scenery and sense of personal accomplishment. I would suggest that you do not carry gasoline inside the car however--very dangerous, especially from fumes. If you can afford it get AAA coverage so that if you break down they will help locate a tow service. As a young woman (I am now retired) I traveled 2000 miles by myself in a 24 yr old vehicle from LA to the midwest for college, bringing my dog along. It was fabulous. I picked the most scenic route and hit a couple of national parks along the way.
^^^ This. Don't carry gas in the car. If you pay attention running out of fuel shouldn't be an issue and carrying fuel is dangerous. If you don't have AAA, get it. Stay in hotels to make sure you are rested for the next day. HAve your car checked before you leave but you should be perfectly fine in a 2015 Toyota. Also bear in mind that when you get to Ohio wioth winters etc. you will want a reliable car, and your 2015 Toyota is likely more reliable than a spare car your uncle can simply give you (although this will obviously depend on the car itself).

Old 07-04-2018, 01:00 PM

13,237 posts, read 17,776,004 times
If you plan on sleeping in your car in a parking lot - some states consider it vagrancy, it gets toasty warm once you get further East.

Old 07-04-2018, 01:01 PM

17,002 posts, read 20,676,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obviousmail View Post
I will be moving from San Diego to Ohio for school. My parents are worried and they want me to go with their plan while I just want to go with my plan. Which route is safer? How bad is the drive? I am 27 years old btw and am driving a toyota 2015 scion xb.

Plan A) My plan. I just load up all the things I need and put it in my car then start driving to Ohio. I plan on traveling the easy route so route 40,44,70. Hitting states like arizona, new mexico, texas where it is pretty flat. My biggest concern is if I get a flat, car breaks down etc... I plan to get a gas container, a car starter, and I already have a spare in my car. About a 35 hour drive in total. I will take multiple breaks, sleep in my car or find a motel.

Plan B) My parents plan. I have a uncle who lives in Philadelphia and my parents want me to fly over to Philadelphia my uncle has a spare car which he will give to me to drive to Ohio. All the stuff that I need to bring will be shipped over or carried with me on the plane. It would be about a 6 hour drive to get there. My parents are obviously worried, but I feel that their plan costs too much and too much of a hassle. They could just give me that money lol.

Does my parents have a right to be worried? what is the best plan? What are some precautions that I need to do beforehand?

When I was a little big younger than you I moved from NY to CA after college, and I still live in CA.

My parents like yours were worried. I left in late May of 1988, I agreed to always be off the road by dark and call them every night and NEVER sleep in the car to save money.

So compromise, stay in motels, email or text or better call and tell them exactly where you are, this will ease their mind.

As one poster already said do not carry gas in the car, you have a late model car and good make of car. Have AAA if you don't already, and as you probably know you have to be careful this time of year driving across AZ, NM, and TX due to the heat.

Is there anyone who would be willing to drive with you, if you offer to fly them back to San Diego?

Best of luck to you.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:05 PM

7,114 posts, read 2,916,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
When I was a little big younger than you I moved from NY to CA after college, and I still live in CA.

My parents like yours were worried. I left in late May of 1988, I agreed to always be off the road by dark and call them every night and NEVER sleep in the car to save money.

So compromise, stay in motels, email or text or better call and tell them exactly where you are, this will ease their mind.

As one poster already said do not carry gas in the car, you have a late model car and good make of car. Have AAA if you don't already, and as you probably know you have to be careful this time of year driving across AZ, NM, and TX due to the heat.

Is there anyone who would be willing to drive with you, if you offer to fly them back to San Diego?

Best of luck to you.
I also made a continental move on my own at about that age. Back in the old age of pay phones! The option for calling for assistance was a cb radio. You recognize your parents are concerned...keep them updated. Take breaks, send them pictures. The suggestions above are things you can easily do to "placate" them and reassure yourself. Get the car checked over well. If some maintenance is due, do it. Check the tires and know how to change a flat. AAA can provide lots of information and driver support on the way. One assistance call just paid the membership.

Don't carry gas with you unless it is outside the cabin. Carry a roadside emergency kit; flare or signal, a couple of hand tools, water, tow rope, a MAP (it doesn't rely on batteries or a signal), motor oil and maybe coolant. Choose a more northerly route. It will be hot enough mid-continent. Have a plan for each day's drive and do plan some night stopovers. Sleeping in the car isn't always safe everywhere...if you plan ahead you could find and use campgrounds.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:30 PM

4,259 posts, read 7,146,208 times
I would ship my junk if it totally loads up the car.
I would sleep in motels/hotels. Period.
You don't need to carry gas. Watch your gas gauge. Fill no later than 3/8 tank. That gives you plenty of cushion.
Going across the deserts in the summer...I'd go with Plan B, get Up Norff. You have a pretty new car, it should be fine.

Check your tires. Cheaping out on tires is NOT economical, it's foolhardy. Check Tire Rack for tire ratings if you're down to 5/32", which is already marginal for your plan and you'll likely need a new set within a year of arrival. You need good tires for winter in Ohio.

Enjoy.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:35 PM

17,086 posts, read 9,861,863 times
Just a tip from someone who's done super-long car trips a few times in recent years, use the Gas Buddy website to plan your fill-ups to coincide with your need and the lowest prices. It really will save you money.

Old 07-04-2018, 03:35 PM

113 posts, read 63,880 times
You own a vehicle that is only 3 years old. And it's a Toyota which are extremely reliable.

Now if you had a 30+ year old vehicle I might agree with the parents.

And please....no man buns (aka millennial mullet) and/or clean shaven beards. That screams sissy millennial a mile away. LOL!

Old 07-04-2018, 04:51 PM

6,353 posts, read 5,158,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udidwht View Post
You own a vehicle that is only 3 years old. And it's a Toyota which are extremely reliable.

Now if you had a 30+ year old vehicle I might agree with the parents.

And please....no man buns (aka millennial mullet) and/or clean shaven beards. That screams sissy millennial a mile away. LOL!
What is a clean shaven beard?

I would do the drive but with another person if possible (you can fly them back from Columbus to San Diego for a song) and NEVER sleep in the car. You will be hassled or arrested, and it can be 105 in the shade in Arizona at 8 in the morning. Roadside hotels are not that expensive.

The Utah-Colorado route is much prettier but it can still be hot up there, and it will be hot in Kansas or Nebraska (depending on the way you go). Bring water. Don't bring gas, there are plenty of gas stations and you will be fine as long as you fill up at 3/8 or even 1/2.

There is now good Mexican food in every little town.

You will have plenty of opportunity to fly when you're old and rich. Now is the time to see the country. Have a fun and safe drive. I drove from Ohio or Illinois to the west coast 5 or 6 times, all in my late teens and early twenties.

Call your mother.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:31 PM

38,146 posts, read 14,902,572 times
Sweet that you are taking your parents' concern into consideration. Nonetheless, I vote for the cross country adventure.

Get your car checked out first. Make sure all the belts, brakes, lines, tires, windshield wipers, ... are all in top notch condition. Bring jumper cables, an empty gas can, and a cell phone.

Buy a AAA membership. Pick up their trip-tiks and books about attraction. Nice to have along.

I vote for the northern/cooler/more scenic route.

Check out apps for last-minute hotel reservations and/or pick up those newsprint booklets that have coupons for last minute hotel rates. They are usually in the bins at the truck stops and at the tourist rest stops when you enter a state. Skip the Red Roof Inns and get a decent hotel at a great price. We look for ones that advertise full breakfasts. My person favorite is Embassy Suites, though Marriotts are good too.

When we make cross country trips, we wait until about 5 pm and then check to see what hotels are on our route, call them and ask if they are honoring their coupon (sometimes they don't because they are full, weddings, games in town ...).

Then we drive there and check in.

That way you can stop along the way if something looks appealing, or drive farther than you anticipated if you are on a roll.

The booklets are nice because they show the routes and you can select from those close to where you are traveling anyway.

Or stay at B&Bs. We love to do that. You are unlikely to get discounts and they are often booked up on weekends. But on the week days, we have been upgraded to the nicest suites open that night for last minute reservations. It's always an interesting experience and every once in a while the breakfast is awesome.

Talk a friend into coming along and flying back.

Never pass up the chance for an adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or