U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 07:15 AM

17,087 posts, read 9,767,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Option 3.1: Take Rt 66 and really enjoy the ride

Did I say, take someone with you to talk to and help drive.
That would be fun. I-70 through eastern Colorado and pretty much all of Kansas is a drag.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:31 AM

8,824 posts, read 8,299,346 times
I also agree that the road trip option is superior. Take this opportunity to see the country.

I would plan my route by choosing a few things I want to see and connecting the dots. Take a few extra days to enjoy the trip. Make an itinerary that includes the Grand Canyon, Tetons, New Orleans, or whatever interests you.

Bringing a full gas can in the car isn’t a good idea. Simply fill up with a 1/4 tank. Get your oil changed before you go. Stay in hotels or make reservations at BnBs. Far more pleasant and restful.

A cross country trip shouldn’t be intimidating. There are rest stops and gas station plazas everywhere, towns and cities as well. You have a recent model vehicle. There isn’t anything you can’t purchase along the way if you need. Get AAA if it adds to your peace of mind, but I personally wouldn’t bother.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:19 AM

4,670 posts, read 2,281,634 times
When you drive in Texas, DO NOT EXCEED the speed limit, even by 2 miles. Use your cruise control. Of course, you always want to obey speed limits and traffic signals everywhere, but, somehow, Texas can be a major problem. Don’t try it. This is not to bash Texas, just based on personal experience, and btw, I was not speeding. I was targeted as a woman, 99% sure. Scary. I paid only 1/2 the fine via long distance. The fine was cut in half when I asked to speak to someone to discuss my suspicions regarding the validity of the citation...

That’s just one incident...

Old 07-05-2018, 01:35 PM

4,365 posts, read 3,517,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Third option: have someone drive with you to Ohio and fly back home. I've done the coast-to-coast drive more than once in my life, but it's helpful to have a second person with you when making such a long trip.
That's what my family did when I drove from Atlanta to Texas. Not as long a drive, but my car was as old as I was and had a quarter million miles on it. Once I got a car about 10 years newer, I did the drive myself.

I get the concern, particularly that route, there are some pretty empty stretches with not much around but there is always traffic on the interstates.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:07 PM

17,087 posts, read 9,767,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
That's what my family did when I drove from Atlanta to Texas. Not as long a drive, but my car was as old as I was and had a quarter million miles on it. Once I got a car about 10 years newer, I did the drive myself.

I get the concern, particularly that route, there are some pretty empty stretches with not much around but there is always traffic on the interstates.
For me, it was about the exhaustion of hours behind the wheel. Even when I've done the majority of the driving myself because my copilot was a teenager, I enjoyed the company. Best trip I've ever taken involved 2000 miles round trip with my daughter when she was seventeen. I now know the words to every song ever written by Panic! at the Disco, an accomplishment I never imagined I'd lay claim to at my age. Before we left, I honestly believed that would be the end of the pleasant relationship we'd enjoyed up to then. I thought we'd hate each other by the time it was over, but we really bonded during that trip. We had a grand time.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:06 PM

6,351 posts, read 5,116,088 times
Quote:
That would be fun. I-70 through eastern Colorado and pretty much all of Kansas is a drag.
There is no route from the Rockies to the Great Lakes that is not a drag. The best one is probably through Oklahoma and Missouri but that involves a long desert drive to get to Oklahoma. Just bring some good "tapes."

Old 07-05-2018, 06:50 PM

10,987 posts, read 8,408,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I just admire you so much for taking your parents’ concept in consideration. My kids, at your age, would have already decided on their method and been on the road texting me each day’s end for checkin. They’d never have even cared how I thought they should travel. Kudos to you! And best of luck on your next stop in life’s great adventure!
Don't you think it's best for adults to develop their own personalities and explore their own ideas?

OP, do what you want. That's what it means to be an adult. If things go awry, you will have to bear that responsibility.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:34 PM

139 posts, read 66,370 times
Quote:
Just a tip from someone who's done super-long car trips a few times in recent years, use the Gas Buddy website to plan your fill-ups to coincide with your need and the lowest prices. It really will save you money.

Good advice.

I also use Air BnB to find cheaper places to stay. Never had any safety problems at all. For a young adult such as yourself, it can be a fun way to meet other folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or