U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-02-2018, 04:50 PM
 
26,589 posts, read 52,277,138 times
Reputation: 20410

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
Yea, because we all would agree that giving up a pet, who is typically a beloved member of your family, and holding on to an old couch and table lamps, are EXACTLY the same thing. Refusing to allow dogs and cats aboard rescue boats resulted in people dying in places like New Orleans. If you refuse rescue assistance because you can't take a box of Beanie Babies and a lamp with you, it's called culling the herd.
It is all about respecting what is important to the individual...

Also... not just cats or dogs... it can be snakes, birds, horses... etc...

Dear friends lost a family member who refused to leave her horses in a California fire several years ago... rescue offered evac but she refused... she perished with one horse... the two other horses were found days later wandering having escaped.

Same thing when a person defies mandatory evacuation because of fear of looters... a real fear in these situations... after all... it is only stuff.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 08-02-2018 at 05:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2018, 04:59 PM
 
26,589 posts, read 52,277,138 times
Reputation: 20410
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
Sorry, but there are plenty of times that storage operators lose money on deadbeat tenants. "Storage wars" is reality TV, not real life. I know a family that owned a big facility for decades. Lots of their auctions fail to bring adequate bids to cover costs, and many units are full of such valueless crap, that any bidder with common sense doesn't even bother to bid a buck on the contents. Even if you get it for free, and it's a dozen cubic yards of crap, with a few hundred bucks worth of salvageable content, you still lose, since you also bought the whole pile of crap, and you are paying to get it properly disposed of. More recently another operator told me that they first try hard to get the bill current, then they try to recover anything they can from the renter, next it's trying to get the renter to remove their junk, followed by the auction process. In many cases renters are spending far more that the value of whatever junk they are storing, once they have been there a year, or more.
Never seen storage wars or any other show on cable TV...

I am partners, (minor partner) in a storage complex in the SF Bay Area and receive monthly financials... we do not loose money on items stored... buyers line up to bid... and we do not wait to auction... it is done per the statuary schedule... not a day more.

We have lost money on the complimentary truck we provide for move in... people too often hit low tree branches, curbs, etc...

My one experience with the hoarder home mentioned is the storage operator had no problem with me paying for a months rent on 3 new units... packing them to the brim and not having my name on anything... the daughter that was worried about her belongings signed the papers after I had already paid cash...

Operator was not worried at all... said the woman was a good established customer... storage is a way of life for some... part of the reason I know the follow-up is the notice postcards that were coming the property address.

I do agree... and would even say it is the norm for people to spend more than the fair market value of items stored... rent goes on forever until the unit is vacated... few items would have the kind of appreciation to justify the expense... but people are not always rational...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 08-02-2018 at 05:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2018, 05:28 AM
 
375 posts, read 102,494 times
Reputation: 1276
I seriously doubt that you have no knowledge of the whole fake cable TV storage auction reality trend. I am also referring to what happens in flyover country, where a significant percentage of contents are of less value than the past debt. Debt that will not be recovered at auction. Like everything else in the lower 48, California economics rarely apply, as for the bay area, it's pretty much become a different universe, and not grounded in much of anything that happens in the real world. Pretty hard to lose money there, in the storage biz. when the average house is over a mil. and renting a place suitable for a family can run $6-7K a month.

Sorry, but you will never be correct about your, "all about respecting what is important to the individual" nonsense. Somebody who is willing to risk and even lose their life for a deeply loved animal, has nothing to do with another who is in the process of destroying their personal financial situation and/or mental health, since they are financially and emotionally trapped by huge volumes of crap in storage, or they are a hoarder. If you did everything you claim, (buying a property from an active hoarder, having a piece of a storage facility) this whole concept should be something that is obvious to you. Something just doesn't add up in your story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2018, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
7,628 posts, read 4,693,202 times
Reputation: 27916
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That sounds like a nightmare. Your sister was very entitled. She probably expected to be executor and have control over everything.

People with Narcissistic Personality Disorder tend to be that way.


Some therapists encourage it, because $150/hour. Sounds like that's what happened in wharton's sister's case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2018, 08:53 AM
 
12,108 posts, read 6,687,780 times
Reputation: 12955
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
People with Narcissistic Personality Disorder tend to be that way.


Some therapists encourage it, because $150/hour. Sounds like that's what happened in wharton's sister's case.
Therapists are known to feed NPD, I see that as malpractice.

I don't think hoarding is usually associated with NPD. Hoarders are OCD mostly but someone can be both and that would be no fun to deal with. Narcissists will usually grab all the most expensive items and leave the rest for someone else to clean up. They feel entitled to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2018, 09:42 AM
 
375 posts, read 102,494 times
Reputation: 1276
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
People with Narcissistic Personality Disorder tend to be that way.


Some therapists encourage it, because $150/hour. Sounds like that's what happened in wharton's sister's case.
No, this one wasn't a narcissist. She was just coached by a variety of mental health professionals, from a very young age, to identify something external to her, or someone to blame, for the disasters she created. We are talking drug and alcohol addictions, never actually becoming a fully independent adult, killing an innocent person in a DUI, while literally ripping herself to pieces in the same multi-vehicle accident, and needing months of high level trauma care, feeling entitled enough to allow her parents to cater to her every whim, dig her out of every mess she created, and finance her whole existence.

As a high school kid she was shipped off to a 28 day rehab. One of the most expensive, east coast elite operations out there. She returned with a diagnosis that all of her issues were because one parent was an alcoholic, and another was emotionally distant. This was based on a "garbage in-garbage out" model of counseling, since the person who wrote that trash listened to the girl's BS and accepted it as gospel. The next 30-35 years were more of the same. Never stepping up and owning a single F'ing thing, and confident that she was entitled to whatever she needed and wanted, all provided with no effort on her part, no responsibility, and without an expiration date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2018, 09:43 AM
 
26,589 posts, read 52,277,138 times
Reputation: 20410
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
I seriously doubt that you have no knowledge of the whole fake cable TV storage auction reality trend. I am also referring to what happens in flyover country, where a significant percentage of contents are of less value than the past debt. Debt that will not be recovered at auction. Like everything else in the lower 48, California economics rarely apply, as for the bay area, it's pretty much become a different universe, and not grounded in much of anything that happens in the real world. Pretty hard to lose money there, in the storage biz. when the average house is over a mil. and renting a place suitable for a family can run $6-7K a month.

Sorry, but you will never be correct about your, "all about respecting what is important to the individual" nonsense. Somebody who is willing to risk and even lose their life for a deeply loved animal, has nothing to do with another who is in the process of destroying their personal financial situation and/or mental health, since they are financially and emotionally trapped by huge volumes of crap in storage, or they are a hoarder. If you did everything you claim, (buying a property from an active hoarder, having a piece of a storage facility) this whole concept should be something that is obvious to you. Something just doesn't add up in your story.
Take it for what it is worth... I've always gone my own way apart from the herd in most things... at this point never have cable is a point of satisfaction...

I'm sure a lot is due to my geographic location... born and raised in the SF Bay Area with is unique to any other place that I know... a place of contrast where many have no financial worries and others are only a paycheck away from holding it all together... plus having a strong connection to my Grandparents that went through many hardships... words of wisdom... live modestly below your means and avoid debt... these were people that went without unless they had the cash in hand... every market day started at the bank to withdraw cash... all items paid for in cash... never having a single credit card... they did have a 30 year mortgage paid off in 12 years... which brought them immense satisfaction and vowed never again... a fact they did their best to instill in me.

As a small child, I was fascinated by a crystal decanter my Grandmother said was very precious... it was a wedding gift to my Great Grandparents and the only material possession to survive the 1906 SF Earthquake and following Fire... sure... it was just a piece of glass... but it is an enduring link to the past and history... Great Grandmother was a maid and her employer gifted the decanter to her as a wedding gift otherwise they would never have had it... and it was the only usable thing that survived the fire.

Spent yesterday helping friends evacuate just outside Ukiah California... the small, former logging town in Mendocino is Western Ground Zero in the Wildfire Fight... saw engine crews from all over California down to San Diego and states such as Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Nevada and Arizona...

I was hauling out "Stuff" with my trailer... friends of my friends already lost everything... speaking of when your home, shop and garage burns to the foundation...

My friend, in his 80's, lovingly restored his family's two tractors... year model 1948 and 1953... he did not want to lose them... so I told him not to worry I was on my way... we loaded them up along with anything else I could fit from his modest barn... again... only material things... but they meant a great deal to him.

I realize some cannot ever understand how inanimate objects can be held so dear...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 08-04-2018 at 09:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2018, 12:51 PM
 
20,547 posts, read 16,619,414 times
Reputation: 38571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Take it for what it is worth... I've always gone my own way apart from the herd in most things... at this point never have cable is a point of satisfaction...

I'm sure a lot is due to my geographic location... born and raised in the SF Bay Area with is unique to any other place that I know... a place of contrast where many have no financial worries and others are only a paycheck away from holding it all together... plus having a strong connection to my Grandparents that went through many hardships... words of wisdom... live modestly below your means and avoid debt... these were people that went without unless they had the cash in hand... every market day started at the bank to withdraw cash... all items paid for in cash... never having a single credit card... they did have a 30 year mortgage paid off in 12 years... which brought them immense satisfaction and vowed never again... a fact they did their best to instill in me.

As a small child, I was fascinated by a crystal decanter my Grandmother said was very precious... it was a wedding gift to my Great Grandparents and the only material possession to survive the 1906 SF Earthquake and following Fire... sure... it was just a piece of glass... but it is an enduring link to the past and history... Great Grandmother was a maid and her employer gifted the decanter to her as a wedding gift otherwise they would never have had it... and it was the only usable thing that survived the fire.

Spent yesterday helping friends evacuate just outside Ukiah California... the small, former logging town in Mendocino is Western Ground Zero in the Wildfire Fight... saw engine crews from all over California down to San Diego and states such as Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Nevada and Arizona...

I was hauling out "Stuff" with my trailer... friends of my friends already lost everything... speaking of when your home, shop and garage burns to the foundation...

My friend, in his 80's, lovingly restored his family's two tractors... year model 1948 and 1953... he did not want to lose them... so I told him not to worry I was on my way... we loaded them up along with anything else I could fit from his modest barn... again... only material things... but they meant a great deal to him.

I realize some cannot ever understand how inanimate objects can be held so dear...
But you and your friend aren’t starting threads that you are stuck in storage unit limbo and asking for advice to get out. OP is paying late fees every month and living on friends hospitality because she can't save a security deposit on an apartment, she can't afford them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2018, 12:12 AM
 
26,589 posts, read 52,277,138 times
Reputation: 20410
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
But you and your friend arenít starting threads that you are stuck in storage unit limbo and asking for advice to get out. OP is paying late fees every month and living on friends hospitality because she can't save a security deposit on an apartment, she can't afford them.
The straight talk was tried and failed... cut your losses and move on.

All that comes to mind is some are willing to go down with the ship or hoping for a miracle...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2018, 06:04 AM
 
375 posts, read 102,494 times
Reputation: 1276
Yet some spend time justifying the odd concept that those who have mental health issues, that manifest as a need to possess large volumes of valueless trash, are just like loyal pet owners....................... What was the quote? "pursuit of happiness and all that".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top