Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2018, 01:18 PM

10,105 posts, read 19,344,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
OK, you live with relatives. Rent cost ? Food paid for? Utilities? You should be saving if you're not paying them a lot.

But in any case. LET THE STUFF GO. The only reason to have stuff in storage is for a plan to increase the space you'd have and then bring that stuff out to use the space. Seems you did it backwards....

I let go a lot of stuff that I KNEW I couldn't hang onto. It hurt to let it go (Sort of financially, but more emotionally) but guess what? I'm still alive and damn glad I did it.

Best of luck, but really, just quit paying on it and let them auction it off....
Just be aware that it could hurt your credit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 01:34 PM

3,857 posts, read 3,130,262 times
Get rid of your storage stuff, get a big camper /conversion van, save your money. Go back to school or get a better paying job. If you are stuck doing the same thing, get into a better line of work.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:06 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,762,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Let me introduce you to my husband. He's well-to-do.

When we bought our house 23 years ago, there was a lot of junk I would not allow to be moved there. So he rented a big storage unit.

He has been paying $2,000 a year on it for the last 23 years. You do the math. So what if he can afford it? That's $46,000 we could have invested. Gone, because he either can't or won't let go of what is literally JUNK.

He keeps wanting to bring it all home so he can be closer to it. Half of our 2800 sq ft house is already devoted to storing MORE of his junk. I live in a tiny 10 x 12 bedroom. I have a small bathroom. Those two rooms, plus the kitchen and family room (part of which he stores stuff in) are the only usable rooms in the house.

This is what happens when you can't part with stuff.
Oh Lord. How do you stand it? I can’t even deal with a stack of papers on the coffee table for more than a couple hours. And not just the excess of stuff, but the sheer waste of money on both the storage unit and paying for a 2800 SF house while being able to use just half. Nope. I could not deal with it. Stuff and/or husband would have to go. You’re a better wife than I am.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:44 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,962,649 times
Anything you own that does not serve you needs to go. Just unload it. You could have all new stuff if you had all that money you have thrown away on storage rentals!

Old 07-27-2018, 02:56 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,510,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I run a storage facility, people will rent storages and pay 20,000 over a couple decades, they die or go broke, and we auction them for 100 bucks. I always advise people just to give it away. I could walk out of my house right now with everything I own in one suitcase. To be weighed down with so much stuff is like being in a prison, I throw great stuff away all the time, I just refuse to collect it.
but then, you'd be out of business...

Old 07-27-2018, 03:18 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,510,695 times
or you could just live in the storage unit, as the title makes it sound...I mean, since all your stuff is there...

or you could sublet places or find temporary rentals. (furnished ones, I mean, so you wouldn't need your stuff).

Old 07-27-2018, 05:01 PM

295 posts, read 352,383 times
Usually when a person says they don't have a problem but refuses to take any advice because they think there isn't a problem, yeah...they have a problem.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:30 PM

23,816 posts, read 14,949,066 times
My mom lost her house in a fire. Everything was gone.

Thirty years later, before FEMA insured beach houses, a hurricane took the house and everything in it. When the tide went out, so did the lot. The mean tide line moved and she had nothing left.

She just packed what few clothes she had and moved to California. She rented a house and within a few months, furnished it from the Salvation Army and garage sales. Then the mudslide came down the mountain and filled up that house. All that was left to retrieve out of the counter deep mud was the kitchen table she bought at a garage sale.
She got another house and furnished it at the Salvation Army and garage sales.

It is just stuff.

If I had to, I could get every thing I needed to furnish a dwelling at my local Salvation Army store for a helluva lot less than you have paid for storing stuff.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:35 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,229,402 times
if you aint using it, you don't need it.

if it's 1k miles away, you aint using it.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:21 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,558,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
Plus the cost of gasoline, wasted time, and headaches from worrying. Too much stuff is a bad thing.

You (the OP) don't own all that stuff. It owns you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues