U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-29-2018, 07:54 AM
 
5,678 posts, read 5,896,301 times
Reputation: 4408

Advertisements

I am not sure what to do about my bedding. I wonder if I can check in trash bags. Any advice? I am taking the plane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2018, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Bloomington IN
6,476 posts, read 7,727,042 times
Reputation: 15783
Checking in trash bags? Probably not a good idea. There is no guarantee they won't be ripped.

Go to a thrift store and find a cheap piece of luggage for a one time use. Get a couple of large space saver/vacuum seal bags. Amazon has some inexpensive ones that will work for a single time. Put the bedding into the bags and then place them in the cheap luggage.

Just watch weight limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2018, 09:13 AM
Status: "On The Lookout" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
28,376 posts, read 61,709,872 times
Reputation: 31921
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I am not sure what to do about my bedding.
Use bedding (and towels etc) to cushion framed art and similar fragile things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2018, 09:14 AM
 
Location: God's Gift to Mankind for flying anything
5,317 posts, read 10,992,106 times
Reputation: 4104
Put in boxes and ship?
Compare cost, shipping vs. check baggage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2018, 04:24 PM
 
5,678 posts, read 5,896,301 times
Reputation: 4408
All good ideas. I am going to buy some more luggage tomorrow. I've already filled up what I have. I have thrown things outs. The things you amass in four years. I will see what I find tomorrow. It is so much easier when you can transport by car. Oh well. I will get through it.

I need to sell the few furniture items I have relunctantly. Movers are crooks. I also have to ship the car. Any recommendations ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2018, 04:46 PM
 
Location: on the wind
6,727 posts, read 2,750,209 times
Reputation: 22951
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
All good ideas. I am going to buy some more luggage tomorrow. I've already filled up what I have. I have thrown things outs. The things you amass in four years. I will see what I find tomorrow. It is so much easier when you can transport by car. Oh well. I will get through it.

I need to sell the few furniture items I have relunctantly. Movers are crooks. I also have to ship the car. Any recommendations ?
Can't you drive the car or have a friend drive it for you? Maybe best to sell the car and get a used one wherever you move to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2018, 04:47 PM
 
Location: on the wind
6,727 posts, read 2,750,209 times
Reputation: 22951
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I am not sure what to do about my bedding. I wonder if I can check in trash bags. Any advice? I am taking the plane.
Box it up and mail it. I doubt any airline will accept a trash bag as checked luggage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2018, 04:53 PM
 
5,678 posts, read 5,896,301 times
Reputation: 4408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Can't you drive the car or have a friend drive it for you? Maybe best to sell the car and get a used one wherever you move to?
No. My car is old but in excellent shape. I want it shipped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2018, 08:20 PM
 
Location: Denver CO
20,915 posts, read 11,588,224 times
Reputation: 31621
Put the bedding in the car. I shipped mine from Boston to Denver and filled it up with stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2018, 01:26 AM
 
Location: Dallas
75 posts, read 22,410 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Checking in trash bags? Probably not a good idea. There is no guarantee they won't be ripped.

Go to a thrift store and find a cheap piece of luggage for a one time use. Get a couple of large space saver/vacuum seal bags. Amazon has some inexpensive ones that will work for a single time. Put the bedding into the bags and then place them in the cheap luggage.

Just watch weight limits.

Great advice. Really useful for me.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top