U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 07:00 AM

595 posts, read 267,956 times

Advertisements

A few years ago, a friend of mine relocated from OH to NC without a job. She was able to find an apartment complex that rented to her, but she had to pay 12 months rent plus renter's insurance up front - over $5K. She had cashed out her very small 401(k) (dumb, dumb, dumb) to make this move, and this prepay requirement ate up a lot of her resources.

Her previous employment experience had been office clerical and distribution center management. HS graduate in her 40s, nice enough lady, pretty good worker. She landed a PT job at Lowes, but she couldn't find a decent FT job with benefits before her remaining money ran out, and she was forced to move back to OH.

She is currently living with her mother.

Last edited by OHNot4Me; 08-08-2018 at 07:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 08:59 AM

37,901 posts, read 14,764,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post
A few years ago, a friend of mine relocated from OH to NC without a job. She was able to find an apartment complex that rented to her, but she had to pay 12 months rent plus renter's insurance up front - over $5K. She had cashed out her very small 401(k) (dumb, dumb, dumb) to make this move, and this prepay requirement ate up a lot of her resources.

Her previous employment experience had been office clerical and distribution center management. HS graduate in her 40s, nice enough lady, pretty good worker. She landed a PT job at Lowes, but she couldn't find a decent FT job with benefits before her remaining money ran out, and she was forced to move back to OH.

A woman in her 40's could have easily found a roommate situation for around $500/month. Sharing utilities and all would have been more economical as well.

Whether she could have found a decent job or not, is anybody's guess.

But at least she could have returned home with her 401K.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 08-08-2018 at 09:12 AM..

Old 08-08-2018, 09:08 AM

28,403 posts, read 61,798,116 times
Quote:

...an apartment complex that rented to her, but she had to pay 12 months rent
Avoid this sort of inept landlord.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:14 AM

37,901 posts, read 14,764,101 times
Another great thing about roommates, aside from saving money, is that you start building your network. You get to know not only that person, but many of the people they know.

70% of people report that they either found out about or got their job because of someone they knew.

By isolating yourself in your own apartment, you miss out on a lot of job opportunities, and decrease your chances of finding that job.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:26 AM

5,679 posts, read 5,903,871 times
Quote:

Old 08-08-2018, 09:42 AM

569 posts, read 262,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I hear people talk about moving somewhere without a job lined out due to companies only hiring local candidates, blah blah. Serious question. Who rents to you if you don't have proof of income or employment? Not once have I rented a place without that info and I've lived in three states. Curious what the experience is of other people.
I used to work in the apartment rental business. If someone did not have a job, we would consider renting based on good rental history and proof of savings or other investments in an amount that could cover the lease period. They would bring in bank statements, etc.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:54 AM

23,365 posts, read 17,373,400 times
A lot of low end motels here charge monthly or weekly rates, but they are not as nice as extended stays.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:19 AM

2,677 posts, read 1,058,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I hear people talk about moving somewhere without a job lined out due to companies only hiring local candidates, blah blah. Serious question. Who rents to you if you don't have proof of income or employment? Not once have I rented a place without that info and I've lived in three states. Curious what the experience is of other people.
Look for places that rent month to month. Low rent motels are also a choice for temporary accommodation. You can hack substandard for a short time. I've done it.

Have proof of previous employment and length of time.
A reference from a former employer would help too. Use them as references. If you don't have one get one.

Start with any job, any job at all that will make you local.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:03 PM

11,943 posts, read 17,449,024 times
Sign up with a temp firm. Once you are on their books, you are "Employed" for all intents and purposes.

That and a check that does not bounce for the first month's rent and security deposit might do the trick.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:17 PM

9,667 posts, read 15,796,249 times
Some tips for Extended Stay type hotels:

If you stay longer than 30 consecutive days, usually they waive the hotel tax, which can be upwards of 20%

Do check out discounts, like AAA, AARP, etc. You can take out a basic membership for a month or two, then cancel per the membership agreement. Usually you get the entire membership amount refunded, even if you have used it. Such discounts are usually 10%--20%.

Also search for online codes for discounts. You might be able to stack codes, along with AAA discounts, etc doesn't hurt to try.

Realize many local employers recognize the local Extended Stay addresses.

The ES motels may seem expensive, but realize no deposits are required, no utility deposits, and usually your utilities, TV Internet, local phone are included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues