Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2018, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 623 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm an American moving to Ottawa currently on a temporary basis ( I don't want to go into details but citizenship isn't an issue atm). I'm very energetically sensitive and it takes me a while to adjust to new cultures, although I have done it before. I would like some help with adapting to the culture in the Ottawa area, including personal boundaries, manners, etc. I visited and found people to be very grounded and friendly but I would just love some more insider info before I dive into work and socializing there. I do speak French and believe that will ease interaction in nearby Quebec.

Also practical advice would be helpful. I will be living on a tight budget and will still be driving my American car for a while. I'm hoping to avoid any surprise tickets, or other surprise expenses. Also I will be converting my income into American dollars to pay some American bills. I'm hoping with Paypal that will be easy.

Any and all info appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 01:41 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
If you are coming from a fairly "main line" part of the U.S. then you won't experience much culture shock fitting in with Ottawans. You may find people are a bit less rambunctious or outgoing than Americans, but overall the adaptation should be fairly easy and seamless.

Old 08-17-2018, 01:55 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myojin View Post
I do speak French and believe that will ease interaction in nearby Quebec.

You will likely have some fun with that as the French spoken here can be very colloquial. It depends on who you talk to.

This is one of the more bilingual regions of Quebec so you may also have to insist to get people to speak to you in French once they notice your accent. Though if you say "merci, c'est gentil de parler anglais mais je veux vraiment pratiquer mon français" most everyone will oblige.

That said, I don't know what your level of French is.

It is much easier for someone who is a native or advanced speaker of French to pick up the subtleties and quirks of Quebec French. People who have a very, very basic knowledge seem to have a tougher time, as they're often grasping for cues from the textbook. Strangely enough, it's often harder for the latter group than for people who are starting from scratch, who simply jump right in with no preconceived expectations.

Anyway, everything will be fine I am sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues