U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 01:38 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,962,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
but what if you move mid-year?
I'm not a tax expert, but it seems to me that you will need to file anywhere you earned a certain amount of income. Let me give an example of a person with a career salary who moves.

Let's say I was a resident of of North Dakota with a full-time job at Wells Fargo Bank. Let's say on July 15th of 2014, I transferred to a full-time job at Wells Fargo in Des Moines, IA.

In 2015, I would file my federal taxes with 2014 W-2 forms from North Dakota and Iowa, plus I would also have to file state taxes in North Dakota and Iowa. On the Iowa form, there is a box I would check to indicate that I moved and was a resident of another state for part of the year, and I assume ND has a similar box to check.

I would pay the taxes I owe on the money I made in each state. There's no prorating involved.

Now, Iowa has been getting stinky and going after people who pay less than a full year of taxes. In my case, I moved to Iowa in September (2013), I had to show them copies of my federal return and OH state return (for 2013) when they came after me in 2016. Once I did, they backed off. Had Ohio gotten stinky, I could have also showed them my DL, receipt from buying a home, and tax returns, but so far that hasn't been the case.

Where it gets complicated is when someone doesn't have a career position and is making just a little money here and there and then moves out of state and does the same thing. Then you have to take the amounts and filing requirements for both states into consideration. That's above my pay grade. (-;
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 04:16 PM

13,102 posts, read 17,666,184 times
Unless things changed recently you will be a resident in both states thus file tax in both states plus fed.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:11 PM

5,389 posts, read 5,829,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I'm not a tax expert, but it seems to me that you will need to file anywhere you earned a certain amount of income. Let me give an example of a person with a career salary who moves.

Let's say I was a resident of of North Dakota with a full-time job at Wells Fargo Bank. Let's say on July 15th of 2014, I transferred to a full-time job at Wells Fargo in Des Moines, IA.

In 2015, I would file my federal taxes with 2014 W-2 forms from North Dakota and Iowa, plus I would also have to file state taxes in North Dakota and Iowa. On the Iowa form, there is a box I would check to indicate that I moved and was a resident of another state for part of the year, and I assume ND has a similar box to check.

I would pay the taxes I owe on the money I made in each state. There's no prorating involved.

Now, Iowa has been getting stinky and going after people who pay less than a full year of taxes. In my case, I moved to Iowa in September (2013), I had to show them copies of my federal return and OH state return (for 2013) when they came after me in 2016. Once I did, they backed off. Had Ohio gotten stinky, I could have also showed them my DL, receipt from buying a home, and tax returns, but so far that hasn't been the case.

Where it gets complicated is when someone doesn't have a career position and is making just a little money here and there and then moves out of state and does the same thing. Then you have to take the amounts and filing requirements for both states into consideration. That's above my pay grade. (-;
Yeah see that’s why I mentioned prorating because I believe that could apply for me. You’re talking about wages, I’m talking about income. I don’t make wages but I already file state tax returns wherever I have investments if required. I don’t have to file in either NV or WA because they don’t care (no state income tax) but I file in OR and CA and this year will also add AZ. I don’t think I file anywhere else. So if I’m living in NV I pay state income tax at the state level where the money is earned on any income, but when I’m living in OR I pay OR income taxes (as a resident) on all income earned even from no tax states like WA and NV. That hasn’t mattered much to me because my largest holdings are in CA and OR anyway, but some assets are or have transferred to lower tax states so that will make a difference now when I move.

I can imagine a state having a law that if you’re living there for 7 months or 9 months for the purposes of taxation that’s a year, so I’m sure I’ll need to look into that if I moved in, say, September next year.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:35 PM

4,936 posts, read 3,416,216 times
Quote:
Yeah see thatís why I mentioned prorating because I believe that could apply for me. Youíre talking about wages, Iím talking about income. I donít make wages but I already file state tax returns wherever I have investments if required. I donít have to file in either NV or WA because they donít care (no state income tax) but I file in OR and CA and this year will also add AZ. I donít think I file anywhere else. So if Iím living in NV I pay state income tax at the state level where the money is earned on any income, but when Iím living in OR I pay OR income taxes (as a resident) on all income earned even from no tax states like WA and NV. That hasnít mattered much to me because my largest holdings are in CA and OR anyway, but some assets are or have transferred to lower tax states so that will make a difference now when I move.

I can imagine a state having a law that if youíre living there for 7 months or 9 months for the purposes of taxation thatís a year, so Iím sure Iíll need to look into that if I moved in, say, September next year.
I moved from Minnesota in September last year and filed with two different states. The federal tax return is where you'll have to show different state forms. It's very easy and any tax preparer will walk you through it and file the forms.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:18 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,962,090 times
Quote:
Youíre talking about wages, Iím talking about income.
Yeah, that's a whole 'nother ballgame, and you're right -- you'll need to research that and possibly check with the IRS and individual state taxation offices because a lot of the laws are changing in 2019 and 2020, and not for the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or