Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 03:14 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
People always do that. It sounds weird, but it is threatening to people when one of them leaves for greener pastures. Their world views and choices are reinforced if you move back. It means they made the right decision.

Just my personal take on it--I've moved several times, and yet if I see someone from my childhood or hometown, they always ask that. Don't you miss it? No. Don't you ever want to move back. No.

It is difficult for risk-averse people who are quite happy where they are to understand why people want to try something different. I remember they even try to talk you out of moving....You won't like it there, housing is expensive--you'll never find a place, you don't have a job....yada yada.

It never mattered--I always found a great place and a job. It has even occurred to me that some of those people are miserable, so would like you to be miserable with them. I just smile and say I'm happy where I moved. Or if you are moving to a city and they are scared of cities--then it's like "why are you moving there"?
People often do that, I am surprised by how defensive people get over their location. I don't know if it's like this everywhere, but at least here in Portland, it's pretty rare for us not to get some serious questions and strange looks when we mention we're moving to Las Vegas next year. It's a mixture of being confused "why Vegas?" and "Why would you want to leave Portland?!" Don't ask if you don't want to be offended, I guess, I mean why I choose one city over another shouldn't offend you, it's not to be taken personally, but people really do take it personally. When you ask, and I say 0% income taxes versus 10%, far better traffic, much better weather and hardly any rain, proximity to a world class airport, 24/7 city that fits night owls like me, great entertainment scene, more affordable cost of living, etc. then they almost are surprised you have all of these legitimate reasons. If they're not too socially awkward, it becomes, "Ah, ok, well that's cool! How exciting." But if they're like most people, it's something like, "Yeah but I wouldn't want to raise kids in Las Vegas. It's just so hot in the summer though! Yeah but what about the gambling? Isn't it dangerous?" Of course, they don't know anything about Las Vegas, so I'm not sure why they start an argument they can't keep up, but then you start to realize they don't actually know there's a city outside of the Strip, they DO know we don't like or want kids (and nobody is asking them to move their family there, after all), and they know we don't drink or gamble.

I find it a bit annoying I have to be so defensive over just answering a question. I notice that week to week when you don't enjoy where you live, it starts to eat at you a lot more than I honestly thought it would when I was younger. I even had a pest control guy tell me he came from Chile, and he's lived here the last 22 years, "It's the greatest place, I would never leave. No place like it!" I just nodded and smiled, "Heh, well that's great you enjoy it so much!" "Yeah, we're so lucky to be here!" "Hehhhhh... yeah... so lucky. Well, have a great day!" I mean what else are you going to say? But I don't like to be surrounded by people who love a place I hate, it's like I'm super happy for them that they found their city and that's wonderful, but I think it's a cesspool and I can't wait to leave, so I feel like I'm a happier, healthier person when I don't constantly feel so negative.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:08 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
I don't get that much from people back in CA. Most of them understand my lack of proper education needed to live in most parts of the state. And how despite my profession making enough money to live in parts of CA, the endless harassment we get from the various authorities. Also, they're still well aware of the traumatic experience that was the final nail in the coffin of getting up and moving from there after being raised/having lived in CA for 25 of my years.

When it comes to getting asked about "wanting to move back?", the only one's that do that are the locals out where I'm living now. Of course they're only used to the bright, sunny, carefree coastal areas they see on TV. I usually show them the inland, hard-scrabble desert areas and they'll be content to zip it.

Where I go from this area is kind of a hard question though.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:17 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
I moved away from my hometown in upstate NY at age 17, 38 years ago. I still get asked that question by family and friends.

My answer has been the same for 38 years: "as soon as it stops snowing".

Old 10-19-2018, 10:01 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
Yes, I used to get asked all the time by my Michigan relatives about when I was going to move back. Now, they have all moved out to places like FL and AZ. They keep asking me when I'm going to move to their new city! LOL.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:57 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Yes, I used to get asked all the time by my Michigan relatives about when I was going to move back. Now, they have all moved out to places like FL and AZ. They keep asking me when I'm going to move to their new city! LOL.
That's what I've gotten from my Vegas relatives, because they knew 10 years ago it was my plan to move to Vegas. Then 7+ years ago I met my girlfriend, when I had just sold my more expensive LA place, and ended up delaying my move since I moved back to my hometown for the GF. Now, we're both moving to Vegas next year, but every year it has been, "When are you guys moving here?" haha. I think some people forget that a lot can go into moving to a new city, just depending where you are in life, and your various standards. I could have moved to Vegas this year, but it would have been pointless as I'd be able to afford a house 3x better next year and wouldn't want to have jumped the gun. Better to be patient.

Old 10-24-2018, 05:21 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
I totally hate that...Why do people ask that?? I coming up on my 5 year anniversary in the city that I relocated to and I still get friends/acquaintances asking me if I'm ready to move back??? Quite annoying actually. Sorry for the rant...but it perturbs me especially when I know that person wants to move relocate as well but is scared to make the jump!
I hate that too. Whenever I go visit I'm reminded why I left. Few job opportunities, not much of an economy, low wages, and a large anti intellectual, alcoholic population.

I don't get the mentality so many people have with moving back to their hometown. I think a lot are too scared to leave because it's a comfort thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues