Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 10:55 AM

16,069 posts, read 21,144,062 times

Advertisements

So you never go skiing? There are quite a lot of people who actually enjoy cold weather activities. I don't think they are crazy, maybe just more open to enjoying all kinds of outdoor activities in different weather. I'm guessing you never took delight in playing in the rain and splashing around in puddles as a child?

Old 11-29-2018, 12:17 PM

44 posts, read 52,577 times
I relocated because I knew that if I wanted to own land and build in the manner I ultimately want to (earthbag) I wouldn't be able to afford to do it in the PNW.

So 3 yrs ago moved to Missouri without knowing anyone. I love my land... 16 acres that I adore.

The jury is still out on the state for me. I'm not conservative outside of fiscally, I'm not Christian and I have MAJOR issues with racism and the belief that higher education is either a waste or inherently evil. So living rural anywhere would be tough but doubly so here in southern MO.

Happily there is a large influx of those from outside the state and I am fairly happy to be on my own.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:06 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
The eight times, since leaving home, I have relocated any significant distances were due to:

1. Military service (TX to NM).
2. My education (NM to TX to NM).
2. My profession (NM to LA to TX to D.C. to NM).
3. My retirement (NM to TX).

Old 11-30-2018, 04:00 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Liking the rain? Yeah, that’s wrong, I’m sorry. Nobody sane likes to be rained on. If you said you like the sound of rain on the roof or something, fine, but there’s nothing good about rain. It’s by definition bad weather. And I hate anything involving coats and clothing beyond a T-shirt. I want to walk outside and be warm as much as possible. If you can’t swim in it, it’s not nice weather bottom line. Snow is a never thing, giant pain in the butt and hazardous with the risk of electrical loss which means thrown back into the stone ages. No thanks to that!

Besides, it’s not like you’re forced to work in the heat, it’s the same temperature inside, so you can just go out to enjoy it when you want. Versus lousy weather there’s nothing to enjoy and being outside for 5 seconds is miserable. I’m glad someone wants to live in unhabitable climates though.
I love to walk and run in cool, crisp weather. Actually, running in fresh snow is amazing. So is riding a horse across a fresh field of snow. Riding through the woods and up through an orchard hill in the Fall in New England is pretty great too. Some of the best runs I've ever had were in the rain. As long as I have a baseball hat to keep it out of my eyes, it's rather wonderful. You know what's not wonderful? Running (or riding or anything but swimming) in 100° heat.

But, hey, enjoy it if you like it. We're all different, so live where you like the weather. I just think it's incredibly arrogant to make sweeping statements that someone is lying or being difficult or whatever because they like something that you don't. Enjoy LV. To me it's Hell on Earth, but you should be glad some people feel the way that I do. At least it means that everyone is not trying to move there.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:53 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
I moved because I could no longer work due to an accident and the area I had spent my adult life in looked as if it would be far too expensive for my income. I research a lot of places in the U.S. to move to, but was not really enthusiastic even about the two on the top of the list. I felt that between 1980 and the end of the Nineties that the U.S. showed definite signs of being in a period of change and decline, which was unpleasant but not a major influence; but the emergence of a man of the low quality of Bush Jr. to national prominence made me feel that this was too ominous a turning point.

So, I then looked widened my field to investigation to countries outside of the U.S. And I made my choice and emigrated from the U.S., where I have lived well financially and in a pleasant society for two decades.

Old 12-01-2018, 03:02 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
O moved from the Midwest to Phoenix because I hate winter, cold, snow, etc. I've always hated it. I was born in the wrong place!

Old 12-01-2018, 04:01 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,896,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Eh, depends. The post you quoted made me shake my head too - sun is always preferable unless you’re just a contrarian. It’s literally what everyone worldwide will day is “good weather” (sunny, warm) versus “bad weather” (rainy, snowy, cold). I grew up in rainy miserable Portland and I moved away, but ended up back here for my GF rather against my desires but she was the one, so I stuck it out for 7 going on 8 long years. Next year we are moving to Las Vegas (well, Henderson) and never looking back. I can’t stand the weather I grew up with, I couldn’t figure out how anyone who is intelligent and especially wealthy would stay in such a miserable place. Always assumed there must be something wrong with them and as an adult, I still think that.

When I realized there are places it doesn’t rain constantly, I already started dreaming of being somewhere else. And I don’t want to see much rain the rest of my days after I move. 4 inches per year sounds perfect. I don’t like variety in my weather. If I could invent a place where it’s exactly 88 every day and a nighttime low of 70 and it was identical every single day with cloudless skies and warm sunshine and a very light breeze I’d do that. Variety is for the rest of life, but with weather I want it nice and good every day if possible. Sadly it’s not easy to get that so I’ll settle for as close as possible (and LA was NOT it, rains too much and the first six months of the year are unimpressive, cloudy often, too cold even into June, overrated weather but made worse by how much CA sucks in every other way).
No, I'm not contrarian. I've just never cared for sunny or warm climates. I grew up in Syracuse, NY area and love 4-season climates. Not the mild climates that people try to pass off as 4-season, I mean actual 4-season with mild springs, crisp/chilly falls with leaves that turn brilliant colors, and massive amounts of winter snowfall/brutally cold temperatures. The term 'good weather' is very subjective and that is why we don't have everyone flocking to one city or another. Some people find a 4-season climate enjoyable while others prefer one where it's always warm or more predictable. I could never live in a hot, overly sunny climate or one that never changes but I don't think that there is anything wrong with people who do.

I love rain because I enjoy greenery, forests and gardening. I also don't mind being out in the rain because I don't think that I am gonna melt. Snow is also great and I have Lake Erie nearby for swimming in during the summer so I've found my place. I'm not sure where it's 88/70 and that sunny all of the time with only 4 inches of rain...maybe the desert SW? Phoenix area? I think Phoenix gets around 8" though and in the "winter" there they do get some nights down into the 50's.

I guess just be happy that all of us don't like the same type of climate otherwise we would all be trying to cram into hot dry climates. You don't have to understand others' preferences but there's nothing 'wrong' with us for having different ideas of what a good climate is.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:14 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrstnd View Post
Well actually a month can be long enough to realize you don't want to live somewhere. I don't want to live somewhere that your life and whether or not or when you can go somewhere is dictated by traffic. And where I need to live in a ****ty neighborhood because I can't afford to live in a decent one. My entire support system is on the east coast. Certain people like adventure and being on their own and are super out going etc. Not everyone is like that. So thanks but no thanks for your snarky remark.
It sounds like the whole move was ill planned. Learn fo your mistake is the best advice I can give here. Though I'll still stand by the cord cutting remark as it did seem that that hasn't occurred yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
Well, I hate heat and it's not because I like to be a contrarian! Seriously? I function better in cooler weather, that's all. Heat makes me miserable. I like rainy days too, but I like the variety. Sometimes rain, sometimes sunny, sometimes snow. My favorite is a New England Fall. Cool and crisp. Jacket and sweater weather. And I sleep better too.

You couldn't pay me to live in Texas or Mississippi or Las Vegas. I would be miserable there. Everyone has their own preferences. Just because they don't match yours, doesn't make it wrong.
I'm with you on the heat. I'm pretty indifferent to rain.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:34 AM

4 posts, read 2,695 times
I moved to California because I got a good job offer. Besides, I had some friends here. And because of the climate of course )

Old 12-13-2018, 07:47 AM

922 posts, read 791,693 times
We moved from Denver to Southeast Kansas three years ago. The main reasons were that my daughter and her family left the area so their daughter would be in a better environment when she started school, it was getting too hard to live there on a fixed income, and we wanted to be closer to my MIL so we could help her out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues