U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 06:19 PM

5,684 posts, read 5,936,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
It's "in the works". Hopefully by the end of the year. Thanks for asking!

Old 10-10-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermomma View Post
I moved to my preferred location based on the advice of a computer generated
map. The map showed areas in the country based on a specific program based
on my specific birth date info. Sounds crazy, worked fantastic. I really did find
the area of the country where I feel the most comfortable. Moved to the area
in summer '07 and found my beloved home just over 3 yrs. ago this last August.

I love it here and I always celebrate the move in anniversary. I have to pinch myself.

I used to always move anytime I could afford it. I have evolved into a self employed
person, so I am not at the mercy of a boss or a job. I work from my home.

In my life, I have lived in both Southern and Northern California. I have lived in Hawaii,
Idaho and Colorado. I have lived in Texas the longest, and I love Texas the most.
When I say "Lived In", I mean that before I found Texas, I always lived out of a suitcase.
I lived in dormitories, cheap apartments and rented rooms in homes. Never had a place
of my own to call home. It was always too expensive anywhere I lived. Texas was not
so expensive when I moved here, and I really enjoy the warmer weather and humidity.

I love the Piney Woods Pine Cone Curtain area of Texas. Very lush and green. Tons of
wildlife and I never felt at home growing up in Southern California. I feel very safe here.

Prayers to anyone out there contemplating a move. I have made a ton of moves in my
life. They are never fun and they are always life changing. Wishing you all out there
that you too find your home, no matter where it may be.
Wow! I thought I pulled my place out of thin air. I do not know how you were able to move so often. It takes so much out of you. Congrats!

Old 10-10-2018, 07:13 PM

277 posts, read 149,848 times
We moved from Massachusetts to Alaska 6 years ago. The top three reasons: for adventure, because we wanted more freedom to homeschool, and to prove to ourselves that we could pull it off. It has been a success so far!

Old 10-10-2018, 11:24 PM

5,581 posts, read 5,916,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
We moved based on the whole "grass is greener" syndrome, though not realizing that at the time.

Turns out our previous location actually had the greener grass
Dang, that's too bad. Well I think one of the most helpful things is to figure out first what you most value in a location, which depends on the person, and make a serious pro / con list of what each place looks like for your individual circumstances. I try to keep a pro / con list to ONLY things I care about, so for instance "Las Vegas has horrible schools" doesn't matter to me, no kids, don't want them, or it might not matter to anyone else from here (OR) regardless because our schools aren't statistically any or significantly better than Vegas. That's kind of how I initially went about a move, when I was living in Los Angeles and considering Las Vegas, I took an honest look at what is better about where I was (career opportunities, meetings, film industry, milder summers, etc.) versus where I was considering.

I will be the first to admit that there IS a difference between what you can research online and what you see with your own eyes while visiting or living somewhere. If it didn't matter, if you could just do all of the research perfectly from the computer, nobody would ever travel anywhere. We'd all just Google pictures of the Eiffel Tower and some crepes and be like, "Well, saw France, go me!" :P Clearly, you have to be somewhere to experience it in a way that's hard to quantify just from research.

As a personal example, and I am over my anger about this disappointment (lol) so I'm not trying to offend anyone with this, I spent about a year hearing and talking about how great Summerlin is in Las Vegas, a big master planned community, one of the gems of the United States, high income households, far enough away from the Strip for privacy and quiet but close enough to be fun, etc. Well, I visited Summerlin, and I hated it. I thought it was one of the creepiest places with the worst vibe I've encountered. It was "family friendly" in the worst possible way, feeling like endless rows of houses, desolate landscape, no green whatsoever and that's coming from someone who says he doesn't care about green, I love deserts. By comparison, Green Valley in Henderson was ACTUALLY green! That aside, there was shopping and retail everywhere, people out doing things, a really nice feel to it, went to both major malls there, loved them, it just "felt" right immediately. All of my online research told me that Summerlin was by far the best place for me and where I wanted to live. One single visit and it took about 5 minutes to realize that my 50 hours of research was totally worthless and I hated the place with a passion.

We'll see how that manifests itself when I'm living in Las Vegas and my fellow Las Vegans rave about Summerlin. I hope I can keep a straight face. For all of the affluence I heard about, we met 3 people who lived in Summerlin among the locals -- an Uber driver, a temp worker, and a waitress. Marketing department for that area is on point, reality? Not so bright.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Dang, that's too bad. Well I think one of the most helpful things is to figure out first what you most value in a location, which depends on the person, and make a serious pro / con list of what each place looks like for your individual circumstances. I try to keep a pro / con list to ONLY things I care about, so for instance "Las Vegas has horrible schools" doesn't matter to me, no kids, don't want them, or it might not matter to anyone else from here (OR) regardless because our schools aren't statistically any or significantly better than Vegas. That's kind of how I initially went about a move, when I was living in Los Angeles and considering Las Vegas, I took an honest look at what is better about where I was (career opportunities, meetings, film industry, milder summers, etc.) versus where I was considering.

I will be the first to admit that there IS a difference between what you can research online and what you see with your own eyes while visiting or living somewhere. If it didn't matter, if you could just do all of the research perfectly from the computer, nobody would ever travel anywhere. We'd all just Google pictures of the Eiffel Tower and some crepes and be like, "Well, saw France, go me!" :P Clearly, you have to be somewhere to experience it in a way that's hard to quantify just from research.

As a personal example, and I am over my anger about this disappointment (lol) so I'm not trying to offend anyone with this, I spent about a year hearing and talking about how great Summerlin is in Las Vegas, a big master planned community, one of the gems of the United States, high income households, far enough away from the Strip for privacy and quiet but close enough to be fun, etc. Well, I visited Summerlin, and I hated it. I thought it was one of the creepiest places with the worst vibe I've encountered. It was "family friendly" in the worst possible way, feeling like endless rows of houses, desolate landscape, no green whatsoever and that's coming from someone who says he doesn't care about green, I love deserts. By comparison, Green Valley in Henderson was ACTUALLY green! That aside, there was shopping and retail everywhere, people out doing things, a really nice feel to it, went to both major malls there, loved them, it just "felt" right immediately. All of my online research told me that Summerlin was by far the best place for me and where I wanted to live. One single visit and it took about 5 minutes to realize that my 50 hours of research was totally worthless and I hated the place with a passion.

We'll see how that manifests itself when I'm living in Las Vegas and my fellow Las Vegans rave about Summerlin. I hope I can keep a straight face. For all of the affluence I heard about, we met 3 people who lived in Summerlin among the locals -- an Uber driver, a temp worker, and a waitress. Marketing department for that area is on point, reality? Not so bright.
Awesome post! I was able to disqualify a number of places by visiting.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:40 AM

37,130 posts, read 45,641,400 times
We moved here to GA because dh was a southeastern sales rep and my youngest child lived here. Soon after, dh got downsized out of the job, and son moved to NC.

So, here we are. If we have another move in us, it will be to NC, where the youngest grandbaby is.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:15 AM

23,587 posts, read 17,574,904 times
Let's take my multiple moves.

1) Moved from TN to IA at 25 in 2012. Job offer paid about a third more than what I made at the time for the same work.
2) Moved back to TN from IA a year later. I didn't like the job and I didn't like Iowa. In hindsight, I should have never moved to IA, but should not have moved back to TN later either.
3) Moved from TN to IN. Doubled my income.
4) Moved back to TN from IN. Kept my IN income.

I'm now looking to a move to the Carolinas. Probably Charlotte, Greenville, Raleigh, or Columbia. Possibly the Triad. I want to be in a bigger metro with more going on than where I am. All of my other moves have been strictly for employment and not quality of life.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:28 AM

743 posts, read 458,960 times
Apart from college/study my moves have been economic decisions. At the time I moved out to the East Coast, software engineering jobs were paying a lot more than in the Midwest, even adjusted for cost of living. Also the technologies were more exciting and I figured that the competition would keep my on my toes and help me increase my skills and marketability.

Also I figured if I kept my living expenses down I'd have a much better chance of paying off student loans and saving than if I stayed in the Midwest on my old salary. Mostly this has held true and changing jobs was a lot easier because the pool of options is larger out here.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:00 AM

17,628 posts, read 11,181,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I did it for economical reasons. Someone pushed the reset button on me without telling me. I also have self imposed restrictions such as location, commute and job type.

Why did I move from Pa to Fl ? One word......SNOW.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:44 AM

934 posts, read 1,585,973 times
I came to the USA in 1991 from the UK as an au pair and lived in NY for the next 5 years. Met my husband who lived in NJ at the time and moved to NJ where we had our first 2 kids. In 2005 we decided to take a leap of faith and relocate to Raleigh, NC. Didn't know much about the area but we were open to a change and decided that there was nothing keeping us in NJ (no family etc). NJ was cold and property taxes were high and it was hard for an "outsider" like me to find a friend group etc as everyone seems to grow up there and stay there and is quite happy just associating with their family and friends from school.
We were lucky to find jobs once we came (would NOT advise that type of move).
I LOVE living in NC...it feels like home to me in a way that NY and NJ never did. We added a 3rd kid to the brood here and our oldest daughter is in her first year at Duke! I can imagine living here for the rest of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or