U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2018, 01:14 AM

5,684 posts, read 5,929,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Away View Post
Retired and relocated to live on a beautiful lake with the Smoky Mountains as a backdrop. Beautiful weather, great people, and low cost of living. Found my “happy place” and it’s in my backyard!
Sounds like heaven. Nice people? What an interesting concept.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:52 AM

3,193 posts, read 1,904,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachbeach View Post
Moved because of the unfriendly death tax and probate in PA for people who don't have direct heirs (ie children).
Left a very provincial, divisive, insular area where even after two + decades we were still outsiders. Now in a college town with more diversity, where people are open minded and accepting of newcomers.
You could avoid these taxes by putting everything into a trust and adding those people to whom you want to leave your fortune as beneficiaries of the trust.

Don't blame the state for something you could easily avoid if you really wanted to. It certainly wouldn't be cause, in and of itself, to move.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:23 AM

820 posts, read 1,295,548 times
Relocated from NJ to PA in 2012 by no choice. By next year I'm moving far away from the Philthy area as I can, whether it's the other side of the state, Ohio, Indianapolis or the Carolina Triad. blue collar job opportunities/lower COL are the 2 reasons.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:08 AM

5,114 posts, read 2,309,561 times
5 reasons:

M, O, N, E, Y.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:38 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 15 days ago)

10,452 posts, read 14,303,163 times
Most of my moves (and there have been a lot) were for jobs, a few for relationships. My last move, to northeast TN, the one that was strictly for ME, was based on climate/outdoor activities available/reasonable COL.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:54 AM

3,247 posts, read 842,766 times
I moved for the job. I wasn't tied down and could move wherever I wanted. Same state, just from Charlotte area to Raleigh area.

If my job changed or the situation required me to find something else, I think I'd be happy with anywhere in NC/SC/GA. I love RDU, CLT, Greenville SC, and Atlanta all the same. Enough opportunity to support my career and the fringe suburbs / exurbs' prices haven't exploded to where it's like the west coast yet.

I'm happy in the SE.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:44 PM

44 posts, read 31,130 times
Were hopefully headed to Michigan to be close to family. The move is better for our family in every way. Financially, emotionally, everything. We can sell our house here for $900k and get a new one for $250k. The girls and I have wanted it for years, Hubby is finally ready. He hates his job, he has an opportunity for a better one with more pay. The only reason it hasn’t happened is because hubby is afraid of change. It’s finally reached the point where we can’t afford to stay, so he doesn’t have a choice.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:55 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,623,694 times
First I moved for education. I wanted to go to a good University and moved to Chicago. I liked my home state of South Dakota. It's a completely unfair comparison, but when it was the only anecdote I had to run on. I did a campus visit to the local state school with the program I wanted. Cool guys had paintball teams, did camping trips and had lots of clubs for various interests. The overnight in Chicago yielded a bunch of dudes all with internships making real money, doing real work with companies that I'd heard of. The move requirement was obvious.

Fast forward to 2007 and I had a very full life. Friends, great place, great roommates, threw good parties, traveled the world for work in a job I was awesome at...but I never had time to chase something big down. I wanted to throw my full work potential at something, save a few quiet groups and to meet a nice girl I didn't meet at a party/club. I had some options in the suburbs, but I just didn't want to go there yet. Plus, I was in manufacturing and was worried about the future. The writing was all over the walls in 2007 that everyplace was going to get hit hard, so I wanted to see what would pop up the best afterwards and the fastest. Then I moved to Silicon Valley. Perhaps I didn't like finding out how the hot dogs are made, but it was the right call.

So I guess in summary, the driving force for relocating for me was expectation of opportunity both now and in the future. However, in both of those cases, I was still poor and I didn't want to stay poor. I do expect that I'll move again in the future, but I would imagine I'll be more interested in being close to a major airport for proximity to friends and family, someplace inherently interesting, a solid medical community, a solid community structure, fun events, easy local transportation etc.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Relocated from NJ to PA in 2012 by no choice. By next year I'm moving far away from the Philthy area as I can, whether it's the other side of the state, Ohio, Indianapolis or the Carolina Triad. blue collar job opportunities/lower COL are the 2 reasons.
Center City is nice.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Most of my moves (and there have been a lot) were for jobs, a few for relationships. My last move, to northeast TN, the one that was strictly for ME, was based on climate/outdoor activities available/reasonable COL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or