U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 05:05 AM

722 posts, read 505,428 times

Advertisements

We moved because we needed better education and healthcare for our kids. We moved from a low COL state to a higher one but we felt it was the best thing to give our kids a better life.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:11 AM

3,885 posts, read 1,080,559 times
I worked for Oregon Department of Fish & Wildlife as a fish hatchery technician. In Oregon working at a fish hatchery you were required to live on station in hatchery housing. You were also expected to move to a different hatchery every 3 years or so. After 31 years and 4 different hatcheries, one I stayed at for 20 years due to promotions, I finally retired and had to give up our hatchery house. We purchased a house in Oakridge, Oregon and relocated there. That was in 2011.

No more relocating for us!

Old 10-27-2018, 02:18 PM

5,678 posts, read 5,901,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomCoS View Post
We moved because we needed better education and healthcare for our kids. We moved from a low COL state to a higher one but we felt it was the best thing to give our kids a better life.
Wow! How did you accomplish this?

Old 10-29-2018, 10:50 AM

5,141 posts, read 2,953,575 times
Florida is home, we left and came back.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:22 PM

5,393 posts, read 5,829,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Most of my moves (and there have been a lot) were for jobs, a few for relationships. My last move, to northeast TN, the one that was strictly for ME, was based on climate/outdoor activities available/reasonable COL.
That's really the best feeling. I am 36 later this year, and have never really lived where I want to live. I hate Oregon, it sucks, but I was born here so that took care of the first 23 years. Then I moved to Los Angeles for my career, wasn't a big fan (loved the weather, entertainment options, etc., didn't like the people, the traffic, the taxes, or the state government or city government for that matter), and ended up moving back to OR rather against my will simply because I met "the perfect girl" while back on vacation. I've been marooned here ever since, but next year we're moving to Las Vegas because I've wanted to be there for about a decade now. When I soured on L.A., I was considering options that kept me close to the film industry, but out of the tax environment of CA and with a lower cost of living, better entertainment, better nightlife, better restaurants, and competitive weather (depends on the season, Vegas wins spring and fall, loses summer by a lot, loses winter barely).

The idea of moving to a city I love just because it's the best place / best fit for me is a lot better than moving to a city because I have to do so. I think in a perfect world, your city, your home, becomes a place that's a reflection of your values and what you like in a place. That's why cities are as varied as the people. Where I live, obviously a lot of people somehow like this place (no idea how or why), and it's probably because of that I have little in common with the people here. We obviously have very different values as I think it'd be hard to find a worse city in America. They feel otherwise. That creates an isolating social situation to say the least.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:32 PM

10,379 posts, read 14,221,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
. I think in a perfect world, your city, your home, becomes a place that's a reflection of your values and what you like in a place. That's why cities are as varied as the people. Where I live, obviously a lot of people somehow like this place (no idea how or why), and it's probably because of that I have little in common with the people here. We obviously have very different values as I think it'd be hard to find a worse city in America. They feel otherwise. That creates an isolating social situation to say the least.
I think you are largely right, but OTOH I don't want a total mirror image of my values, that would be boring. I don't share a lot of the conservative values of the area I ended up moving to, but since I'm a fairly tolerant live and let live kind of person I can accept that.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:11 PM

5,393 posts, read 5,829,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I think you are largely right, but OTOH I don't want a total mirror image of my values, that would be boring. I don't share a lot of the conservative values of the area I ended up moving to, but since I'm a fairly tolerant live and let live kind of person I can accept that.
I get you, I think the only place for me to find a fair number of similar people is a city like Vegas. Nevada is probably the only somewhat libertarian state. In a conservative state, they maybe won’t like me because I’m an atheist who doesn’t want kids, and doesn’t have any problem with gay marriage or pro choice lol. Yet I also vote conservative almost always because I ignore all of that and vote with my wallet - taxes. But I side with the Democrats on things like I mentioned and pro marijuana legalization (I don’t like weed at all, but just because I don’t like it doesn’t mean it should be illegal). What I like about a state like Nevada is the “live and let live” nature of laws like drinking on the sidewalk or legal prostitution (better than letting pimps control it and have women sexually assaulted but unable to report it!). Nowhere is a perfect fit but for me, it’s a great fit compared to elsewhere. I have a feeling like you that a true conservative state wouldn’t be a great fit for me, because OR where I come from is the least church going state in the US and being an atheist here is honestly the norm for almost anyone I know. In Mississippi they’d probably judge me

Old 11-03-2018, 11:26 AM

791 posts, read 434,086 times
My family moved to Phoenix in the summer of 1992. We'd been living in a small town in the northern part of the state, and Mom felt that my siblings and I would have more opportunities/a better chance for a future by moving to a big city. (the way I remember it, Mom did not tell us this, she just said we were going to try it out for a year in Phoenix)

Old 11-24-2018, 02:06 PM

18 posts, read 8,146 times
I moved to Los Angeles at 30 after living in my parents house in the same town in NY my whole life. Its barely been a month and I'm most likely moving back..like next month. I love the West (Montana is like a second home to me and if it wasn't for the winter would probably have moved there at some point already) but after moving here I realize I miss my family and friends and familiarity too much to be happy here. Plus as much as I like LA I don't think its where I belong or where I would ever see a future. I known I haven't given it much time but I'm miserable and I know my personality. The relationships I'm lucky to have in my life are more important to me than sunshine and warm weather and beautiful sceneries.

Old 11-24-2018, 04:49 PM

2,803 posts, read 1,224,976 times
I moved for several reasons:

1. Be closer to family--we are 1/2 way between my family (Syracuse, NY) and DH's family (Detroit, MI)
2. Get back to a climate that we like better--I was depressed with the heat & constant sun in the South. I love it here
3. Better career opportunity here
4. Outside recreation--I'm close to the lake and much closer to good snowmobiling
5. Just better QOL in general
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or