U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-25-2018, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Western MA
1,593 posts, read 1,037,958 times
Reputation: 4116

Advertisements

When I moved from NYC to New Hampshire it was both for a job and for a change in life and lifestyle. While I had loved living in NYC, I was done and was ready for a different life. A great job opportunity made that possible. Great decision all around.

This time I will be moving from New Hampshire to West MA mostly for a new job opportunity. It won't be the huge change that my move from NYC was, but still a big enough one that I am nervous and not looking too forward to the chaos of finding a place and doing the physical move. Not to mention the nerves about starting a new job!

At first I was a bit depressed about having to make this move, but I've been doing a little research and am starting to get a little excited for the possibilities.

 
Old 11-25-2018, 07:14 PM
 
2,820 posts, read 4,928,344 times
Reputation: 2540
- Better Quality of Life
- Change of Life Move
- Variety of things to do.
- Was bored with City that I moved from. I knew I needed a change of scenery.
Thankfully its been good professionally and personally. Not looking back.
 
Old 11-25-2018, 08:13 PM
 
Location: Madison, Alabama
3,574 posts, read 1,703,156 times
Reputation: 2802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I moved for several reasons:

1. Be closer to family--we are 1/2 way between my family (Syracuse, NY) and DH's family (Detroit, MI)
2. Get back to a climate that we like better--I was depressed with the heat & constant sun in the South. I love it here
3. Better career opportunity here
4. Outside recreation--I'm close to the lake and much closer to good snowmobiling
5. Just better QOL in general
It's funny what we get used to. I don't like the heat and humidity we have here either, but there's always air conditioning. However, I think I'd go completely bonkers if I had to live somewhere where there was constant snow and ice throughout the winter. We usually have a bit of snow here each winter, and after about a day of the scenery, I've got a good case of cabin fever and am ready for it to be gone. I suppose what we grow up with is what we want to stay with.
 
Old 11-26-2018, 05:37 AM
 
Location: North Dakota
7,724 posts, read 9,021,232 times
Reputation: 11089
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrstnd View Post
I moved to Los Angeles at 30 after living in my parents house in the same town in NY my whole life. Its barely been a month and I'm most likely moving back..like next month. I love the West (Montana is like a second home to me and if it wasn't for the winter would probably have moved there at some point already) but after moving here I realize I miss my family and friends and familiarity too much to be happy here. Plus as much as I like LA I don't think its where I belong or where I would ever see a future. I known I haven't given it much time but I'm miserable and I know my personality. The relationships I'm lucky to have in my life are more important to me than sunshine and warm weather and beautiful sceneries.
Sounds like you need to grow up and cut the cord. A month is not nearly enough time to get used to a place.
 
Old 11-26-2018, 08:36 AM
Status: "Excited to move to Vegas!" (set 27 days ago)
 
Location: Beaverton, OR
5,539 posts, read 5,904,077 times
Reputation: 6341
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
It's funny what we get used to. I don't like the heat and humidity we have here either, but there's always air conditioning. However, I think I'd go completely bonkers if I had to live somewhere where there was constant snow and ice throughout the winter. We usually have a bit of snow here each winter, and after about a day of the scenery, I've got a good case of cabin fever and am ready for it to be gone. I suppose what we grow up with is what we want to stay with.
Eh, depends. The post you quoted made me shake my head too - sun is always preferable unless you’re just a contrarian. It’s literally what everyone worldwide will day is “good weather” (sunny, warm) versus “bad weather” (rainy, snowy, cold). I grew up in rainy miserable Portland and I moved away, but ended up back here for my GF rather against my desires but she was the one, so I stuck it out for 7 going on 8 long years. Next year we are moving to Las Vegas (well, Henderson) and never looking back. I can’t stand the weather I grew up with, I couldn’t figure out how anyone who is intelligent and especially wealthy would stay in such a miserable place. Always assumed there must be something wrong with them and as an adult, I still think that.

When I realized there are places it doesn’t rain constantly, I already started dreaming of being somewhere else. And I don’t want to see much rain the rest of my days after I move. 4 inches per year sounds perfect. I don’t like variety in my weather. If I could invent a place where it’s exactly 88 every day and a nighttime low of 70 and it was identical every single day with cloudless skies and warm sunshine and a very light breeze I’d do that. Variety is for the rest of life, but with weather I want it nice and good every day if possible. Sadly it’s not easy to get that so I’ll settle for as close as possible (and LA was NOT it, rains too much and the first six months of the year are unimpressive, cloudy often, too cold even into June, overrated weather but made worse by how much CA sucks in every other way).
 
Old 11-26-2018, 10:49 AM
 
3,932 posts, read 7,519,181 times
Reputation: 4421
1. Climate. I couldn't take the heat/humidity in the South.
2. To be closer to family (hundreds of miles instead of thousands)
 
Old 11-26-2018, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Western MA
1,593 posts, read 1,037,958 times
Reputation: 4116
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Eh, depends. The post you quoted made me shake my head too - sun is always preferable unless you’re just a contrarian. It’s literally what everyone worldwide will day is “good weather” (sunny, warm) versus “bad weather” (rainy, snowy, cold). I grew up in rainy miserable Portland and I moved away, but ended up back here for my GF rather against my desires but she was the one, so I stuck it out for 7 going on 8 long years. Next year we are moving to Las Vegas (well, Henderson) and never looking back. I can’t stand the weather I grew up with, I couldn’t figure out how anyone who is intelligent and especially wealthy would stay in such a miserable place. Always assumed there must be something wrong with them and as an adult, I still think that.

When I realized there are places it doesn’t rain constantly, I already started dreaming of being somewhere else. And I don’t want to see much rain the rest of my days after I move. 4 inches per year sounds perfect. I don’t like variety in my weather. If I could invent a place where it’s exactly 88 every day and a nighttime low of 70 and it was identical every single day with cloudless skies and warm sunshine and a very light breeze I’d do that. Variety is for the rest of life, but with weather I want it nice and good every day if possible. Sadly it’s not easy to get that so I’ll settle for as close as possible (and LA was NOT it, rains too much and the first six months of the year are unimpressive, cloudy often, too cold even into June, overrated weather but made worse by how much CA sucks in every other way).
Well, I hate heat and it's not because I like to be a contrarian! Seriously? I function better in cooler weather, that's all. Heat makes me miserable. I like rainy days too, but I like the variety. Sometimes rain, sometimes sunny, sometimes snow. My favorite is a New England Fall. Cool and crisp. Jacket and sweater weather. And I sleep better too.

You couldn't pay me to live in Texas or Mississippi or Las Vegas. I would be miserable there. Everyone has their own preferences. Just because they don't match yours, doesn't make it wrong.
 
Old 11-26-2018, 12:47 PM
 
115 posts, read 50,293 times
Reputation: 276
1) Bureaucrats. My husband planned to retire to his place on the river. The state has decided that you can't have a dock unless you are wealthy enough they ignore you. We have the lawyer's fee to prove that we fought, but it was worthless.
2) Taxes. We will both be retired and do not want to keep paying high taxes year after year.
3) California 2.0. I left CA back in the 70s because I could see what was coming. The whole West Coast is infested with it. One party rule, "green" initiatives to make power expensive, restrictions on First and Second Amendment rights. I might stay and fight if I were younger, but it's just not worth it to me.
4) Suburbia. My husband could stay here another 20 years if we could afford it. I can't stand looking at my neighbors across the street any more. I want to be back up in the hills, with some space around me.
5) See something different. We've both lived in this area a long time. He'd like to research more about when his family came to the US. I'd like to see the eastern part of the state.
 
Old 11-28-2018, 09:20 AM
 
18 posts, read 8,566 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Sounds like you need to grow up and cut the cord. A month is not nearly enough time to get used to a place.
Well actually a month can be long enough to realize you don't want to live somewhere. I don't want to live somewhere that your life and whether or not or when you can go somewhere is dictated by traffic. And where I need to live in a ****ty neighborhood because I can't afford to live in a decent one. My entire support system is on the east coast. Certain people like adventure and being on their own and are super out going etc. Not everyone is like that. So thanks but no thanks for your snarky remark.
 
Old 11-28-2018, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic east coast
5,371 posts, read 9,859,230 times
Reputation: 10243
We left the SF Bay area because it became too pricey to live there, it was too crowded, and it was too noisy. We had 33 years of a wonderful life there and when it became less than wonderful, we left for the other coast and didn't look back...<there is life beyond California>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top