U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2019, 07:28 PM

5,412 posts, read 5,838,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
If you have complicated returns, then yeah, I would hang on to stuff.

You might invest in a scanner and keep the records digitally.
Yeah I have a scanner, need it all of the time for work since I run my company remotely. I would like to see how much stuff I could just scan and then do you think itís ok to ditch the originals? In some cases theyíre stupid things like check stubs which donít really prove anything except what I wrote that I paid (the actual bank records would be the real proof anyway haha). I donít know exactly what the laws are with regard to things like a large box of photo / video / audio release forms that I would like to scan and toss the originals. The company (created to make a movie) was disbanded after completion and that was 7+ years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 11:14 PM

24,762 posts, read 23,720,795 times
My friend Suzanne came to my house today and packed everything in my kitchen! I, of course, worked with her packing. It's just that she's so good at it. She's moved twice in the last 10 years, and has helped a few others move. I had boxes, paper, bubble wrap, and packing foam, but she knew how to use them.

It would have taken me a week to do it on my own.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:38 PM

231 posts, read 93,197 times
^ What a wonderful friend!

Old 03-07-2019, 07:15 PM

That’s awesome! Always good to have some help. I never mind moving things like books because they’re so easy, throw them into a box and call it good. But it’s the fragile stuff that needs bubble wrapping that can be a real pain in the butt!

I finished sorting and cataloguing about 250 comics for sale, put them in 4 USPS boxes and they’ll be ready for eBay next week with the rest of the stuff. My main floor is becoming box city with all of this even though I’m 6-7 months from moving, but it’ll be much better once I’ve sold and gotten rid of everything at least that needs to go for sure. Then it’ll be less to manage anyway.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:13 PM

231 posts, read 93,197 times
^I am in a similar situation, about 8 months from moving, but we have 30 years of accumulated stuff to sort through so I've been working on it gradually for some time. It's heartening that I'm starting to see some open spaces, cupboards or drawers that were full of stuff before are now clean and empty, closets with new space in them, a crawlspace totally cleared out. Some of the things we want to keep but don't need access to for any reason are already boxed and tucked away ready to move. All the pics and family videos and lots of paper are scanned and discarded.

But, wow, a couple days ago I just hit a wall with it. I couldn't figure out why at first. It's not as though it's physically taxing, or I'm doing it 8 hours a day or anything. I realized it was "decision fatigue". I just could not look at one more thing and decide its value, its usefulness, my attachment to it or not, or what to do with or where to put it. Ha. So the floor of the room is right now just as I left it two days ago. Covered with a bunch scattered stuff. I'll find my way back in there at some point.

Old 03-08-2019, 04:57 AM

Yeah I completely understand that! I feel in a similar boat, I’m just kind of sick of it. It’s also because I’m leaning into my personality haha and I’ve stopped avoiding my basic nature. At 36, I mean, I know how I work and function and I eventually just shrugged and said, ok, it’s my strength and my weakness so I’ll just embrace it. I’m very singularly motivated, which can be an incredible asset to some pursuits like when I’m working on a film project (my career), it gets all of my invested attention. But I’m pretty horrible about balancing a bunch of things at once. As hard as I’ve tried to do that in the past, it doesn’t work very well for me. So I decided I’d put aside doing my meaningful work for the first few months of the year and deal with everything that needs to be decluttered. I was trying to do both but I was failing at them both rather than succeeding at one, anyway. So I’m getting a little burnt out on these projects but excited to see the results and get them done. Then I can focus on real work again. Don’t get me wrong I still do some real work each week, but I am more passive in my company so it doesn’t demand much of my attention.

I am looking forward to where you are - where I can see the empty spaces and the results of this project. It’s the same thing here where I’m dealing with stuff accumulated a long time ago and I no longer buy things that way, so I know this is a one time declutter of especially epic proportion compared to normal decluttering where it’s less time consuming. I also have a lot of stuff as you said that fits the bill of absolutely no reason I need to access it until after the move. I’ll box that stuff up and fill the empty shelves left over when these things are sold, so that’s going to make it especially easy to move when the time comes because it’ll just be less last minute work. I want to avoid stress at the end by doing much of the work earlier. I’m trying to balance some stuff though like why box my collectibles I’m enjoying too early, when I won’t be able to appreciate them in boxes. But maybe do that a few months early rather than last week before haha.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:51 AM

796 posts, read 1,287,169 times
For the next 2 weeks I'll be either donating most of my large stuff for a tax deduction, or tossing it. Since I'm taking Amtrak, Greyhound and Uber I'm packing only my personal items and smaller electronics.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:55 PM

476 posts, read 315,525 times
We are!! I had 27 years off accumulated "stuff" and I'm not even a packrat! We've had a yard sale, sold stuff on craigslist, and have donated a ton of stuff. There's a lot more to go, and now we have a deadline... Closing on a new home 800 miles away in 7 weeks!!

Old 03-10-2019, 06:44 PM

68 posts, read 34,395 times
PNW- that's a great way to term it!

I've slowed on the packing as well. It got to the point that I was getting too lenient about keeping and packing things. Plus I've packed a great deal of our stuff do I feel like that's under control.

Bigdogmom- congrats! Did you go visit for a house hunt? It will be so nice to have an end in sight.

It's frustrating because I've found a house that we all love and there's no way to act at this point. We arent even sure we will end up in that part of the state yet. It's just fun looking for new places but I'm tired of being on hold until we know where DH's job will be and when our house goes on the market.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:48 PM

6,867 posts, read 6,945,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
^^ Very good advice.

My in-laws downsized when they retired to FL. Before they left, they had us come over and choose what items we wanted. The only thing I chose was a wing back chair I really liked. I think hubby chose a few nic nacks.

FF to when they actually moved - they show up with a car full of things they "knew" hubby would want. Most of it got put in the attic. When we finally moved most of it got tossed.

Your kids don't want your crap.
I figure our kids will hire an estate sales person and sell what they can (some decent furniture & art) and give the rest to No Longer Bound or other charity. China and glassware can be sold to Replacements, Ltd. One daughter would probably like the China. Silver flatware can be sold for the silver. We have given some furniture to them already, which they both actually wanted.

We sold and gave away truckloads of stuff when we downsized. But didn’t get rid of enough.

What I seem to have a lot to dispose of is paper—old checks, etc. doing that now gradually, as I have time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues