U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 01:10 AM

83 posts, read 37,805 times

Advertisements

I've been decluttering since late last year because I thought I was moving to Utah in March of this year (which fell through spectacularly). Now I'm genuinely moving to Washington in May of next year and since I know it's official this time and not a fluke, I've been cleaning out and decluttering a lot. I cleaned out the majority of my closet since I had a lot of stuff I no longer wear/need. I also packed almost my entire closet already so I don't have to worry about packing last minute like I did the last two in state moves I've done over the past few years. I have a really bad habit of waiting until the last minute and since this will be out of state and no leeway on taking my time once the time comes to move, I really need to get ahead of it. So almost my entire wardrobe is packed with a good amount of t-shirts / pants / shoes left out to wear that I'll pack up later. I sold a good chunk on eBay and donated a good chunk as well. Anything left that doesn't sell by the time it's moving time will be donated.

I still need to pack up my massive movie/TV collection though, but I want to go through it first and get rid of some things since I've made a larger move towards digital and building my Vudu library.

But overall it feels reaaaally nice to declutter and get rid of stuff. It's a lot less to move when the time comes and makes my life just a tad less stressful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 06:37 AM

5,382 posts, read 5,825,119 times
I realize this may not be for everyone, but if you have a large physical movie collection and either space is at a premium or you just don’t like the clutter, I highly recommend my solution. I have about 4,000 discs and they’re all in four 1,000 DVD / CD metal cases that are labeled. Each sleeve has a number (came that way). Then I use Delicious Library to scan the products and catalogue them. So under “Notes” when I scan something new it says things like, “#877 in Case 3.” It makes finding anything extremely easy and I can even do searches like “Al Pacino” and find every movie I own with him in it or by genre even. I can immediately tell whether I own something or not and in which format. The total space for 4,000 discs is also very small.

Before I move, though, I do need to spend some time sorting it again because there are instances where I never got rid of the DVD when I have a Blu-Ray or 4K copy of it. There are a lot of duplicates because of that and probably some things I just want to get rid of to clear space. It still works great as a system, though. Especially for large collections.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:53 PM

843 posts, read 459,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
This thread really resonated with me. I have so many heirlooms from my mother, who collected china, crystal, and silver. So much of that is not worth what it was in years before, that it's heartbreaking to try to think what to do with it all. Putting it piece by piece on craigslist or ebay would take forever. I really don't know what to do with it all. Some pieces have sentimental value, but even a set of Limoges china that was set aside for my daughter is still in my house because she doesn't really want it.
Suggest you contact Replacements, Inc. and see if they would be interested in buying your stuff.

https://www.replacements.com/sell-to-us/

Old 11-22-2018, 05:17 PM

387 posts, read 264,699 times
I am down to the last of decluttering before packing for the across-country move. This has taken several years.

How I handled some things - in case readers find this helpful:

I set a kitchen timer. 60 minutes for chores that would be fun (clothes, kitchen stuff, toiletries) and 30 minutes for dreaded chores, like file cabinets. Once that buzzer sounded, I was off the hook for the day!

I made a "take all or leave all" rule for some things for yard sales. Like my set of white dishes. They had to take all the dinner plates, soup bowls, salad plates, serving dishes, etc, or they could take nothing. I made the price super low to make "take all" tempting.

I was ruthless with books. If I wasn't going to read it or use it again, out it went to the Friends of the Library.

I was also ruthless with photos. 5 pictures of uncle Emmett and aunt Myrtle are sufficient. I don't need several dozen - just the best ones. The next project is to scan them so I have digital copies of all and only a few prints of my most favorite.

Recipe magazines took a lot of time to go through. First I cut out the recipes I thought I would really cook one day. Then I scanned those recipes into PDF format. My recipe list is now on my computer, on 2 flash drives, and in one cloud file.

One criteria I used for "keep and move" or "let go" is the cost (or time to locate) for replacement later. So the inexpensive but large cardboard cutting board for sewing went to a friend. Small needlework tools that took decades to accumulate stayed.

Heavy enameled cast iron pots and pans were taken to charity. I'm just tired of lifting these heavy items from the bottom of the dishwasher.

Except for 4 small, beloved pieces, all furniture will be sold or given away prior to move. Just look up how much weight a mattress gains in 4 years due to dust mites and you'll jettison your mattress set, too.

Power tools and kitchen counter-top appliances are frequently stolen by movers. (I've "lost" almost every power drill ever owned. And I am still angry about losing my Cuisinart.) If you are driving, take these things with you. If you pack them, spread components among several boxes and label them something else that is cheap and heavy, like "Books, Granite bookends, and Socks." Put the good stuff on the bottom layers, add a couple books, finish with socks on top, then seal the boxes with packing tape. This probably also applies to camera equipment.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:27 AM

2,535 posts, read 1,329,261 times
Yes, I agree with the labeling thing. Never label boxes with "silverware," or "stereo set," etc. It just asks to be tampered with. I also try to spread out things like that.

Old 11-23-2018, 10:21 AM

843 posts, read 459,775 times
A far greater safety point is to not label any of your boxes, not even with the room it's destined for. Have a complete inventory of what's in a box, assign a number to it, and keep the numbers/contents inventory on your person. When you arrive at the new place, you tell folks which room that number goes into. It's a bit more work for you, but it's infinitely safer than the alternatives.

When movers have no idea what's in a given box, they are far less tempted to avail themselves.

Old 11-23-2018, 11:33 AM

1,480 posts, read 656,387 times
Thank you Profnot, Gorm and Arkay.... valuable advice there.
I think when I move, I'll have movers take the furniture & books,
but I'll take the electronics with me in a little U-Haul.

Old 11-23-2018, 11:59 AM

4,465 posts, read 4,716,202 times
Oh my, I need to read this thread and others about this topic. Makes my head spin.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:01 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,021,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by profnot View Post
I am down to the last of decluttering before packing for the across-country move. This has taken several years.

How I handled some things - in case readers find this helpful:

I set a kitchen timer. 60 minutes for chores that would be fun (clothes, kitchen stuff, toiletries) and 30 minutes for dreaded chores, like file cabinets. Once that buzzer sounded, I was off the hook for the day!

I made a "take all or leave all" rule for some things for yard sales. Like my set of white dishes. They had to take all the dinner plates, soup bowls, salad plates, serving dishes, etc, or they could take nothing. I made the price super low to make "take all" tempting.

I was ruthless with books. If I wasn't going to read it or use it again, out it went to the Friends of the Library.

I was also ruthless with photos. 5 pictures of uncle Emmett and aunt Myrtle are sufficient. I don't need several dozen - just the best ones. The next project is to scan them so I have digital copies of all and only a few prints of my most favorite.

Recipe magazines took a lot of time to go through. First I cut out the recipes I thought I would really cook one day. Then I scanned those recipes into PDF format. My recipe list is now on my computer, on 2 flash drives, and in one cloud file.

One criteria I used for "keep and move" or "let go" is the cost (or time to locate) for replacement later. So the inexpensive but large cardboard cutting board for sewing went to a friend. Small needlework tools that took decades to accumulate stayed.

Heavy enameled cast iron pots and pans were taken to charity. I'm just tired of lifting these heavy items from the bottom of the dishwasher.

Except for 4 small, beloved pieces, all furniture will be sold or given away prior to move. Just look up how much weight a mattress gains in 4 years due to dust mites and you'll jettison your mattress set, too.

Power tools and kitchen counter-top appliances are frequently stolen by movers. (I've "lost" almost every power drill ever owned. And I am still angry about losing my Cuisinart.) If you are driving, take these things with you. If you pack them, spread components among several boxes and label them something else that is cheap and heavy, like "Books, Granite bookends, and Socks." Put the good stuff on the bottom layers, add a couple books, finish with socks on top, then seal the boxes with packing tape. This probably also applies to camera equipment.

Great tips!

The other tip I would have is to pack a box that you will take with you that has critical items, such as scissors, towels, sheets, paper towels, toilet paper, a few garbage bags, soap and shampoo, a shower curtain, box cutter, a couple of tools, bottler opener, phone charger ... basically all the things that you are going to want more or less right away when you arrive at your new home. Things that you are not going to want to search for through multiple stacked boxes.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:09 PM

7 posts, read 2,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I realize this may not be for everyone, but if you have a large physical movie collection and either space is at a premium or you just don’t like the clutter, I highly recommend my solution. I have about 4,000 discs and they’re all in four 1,000 DVD / CD metal cases that are labeled. Each sleeve has a number (came that way). Then I use Delicious Library to scan the products and catalogue them. So under “Notes” when I scan something new it says things like, “#877 in Case 3.” It makes finding anything extremely easy and I can even do searches like “Al Pacino” and find every movie I own with him in it or by genre even. I can immediately tell whether I own something or not and in which format. The total space for 4,000 discs is also very small.
I'm moving next year and researching how to store my movie collection. I thought about large cd/dvd binders (400 discs each) but those metal cases would be better. What did you do with empty boxes? Threw away or donated somewhere?
I've been sorting things for several weeks and attempting to sell some items on CL but I'm not having much luck so far. Sold 1 book .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues