U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 09:38 AM

2,338 posts, read 7,735,221 times

Advertisements

I am down to about 15-20 small to medium sized cardboard boxes of stuff that will go into a storage room. I will also put a bed, futon sofa, 2 small chairs and one small table into storage. All of the furniture can be disassembled so it will fit in a small storage space. I think everything can be loaded into a regular cargo van, not a moving van, and I will rent a 5' x 8' storage room at a storage place.

At the end of February, I'm going to Europe for a year or so. I will bring one big suitcase of clothes, and one big box that contains my bicycle and bike stuff. Leipzig, Germany will be my home base, and I will be able to make trips from there to places all over Europe. I can use Leipzig, Frankfurt or one of the Berlin airports for cheap flights in Europe, or trains for travel in Germany and nearby countries.

Even though I am retired, I can get a long term student visa pretty easy in Germany by enrolling in a once per week language class. I speak, read and write German pretty well, but can always use additional classes. I have plenty of monthly income and don't want or need to work, so the language school will help me with the visa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 07:29 AM

2,537 posts, read 1,331,336 times
Hello Recycled, sounds like you have already pared down to something we all wish we could approach, even times two or three.

Your trip sounds great and it looks like you have everything planned to a T. Good luck!

Old 01-12-2019, 08:58 AM

68 posts, read 34,353 times
Recycled-what a great adventure! It sounds like you are well prepared. Best wishes for a fantastic journey!

Old 01-13-2019, 04:16 PM

67 posts, read 53,470 times
Default Downsizing in place

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I really love your idea! I thought the same thing, like maybe instead of seeing it as this HUGE task that needs to be done and stressing over it, because I do have the luxury of some time, maybe I could focus on one area at at time. Like you said, pick a drawer, or a cabinet of my office, go through it all, downsize and keep what's essential. Maybe a closet another day, go through the closet or half the closet, deal with that, then just slowly make the progress rather than making it some herculean all-at-once task. All I know is there is a lot of nonsense here that needs to make its way out before the move lol.
My husband and I are living in the family home I inherited. I know I need to downsize in place (especially now we are seniors and at some point may want to move closer to one of my husband's children out of state). I like the idea of going through one drawer at a time. Today I went through 2 large shelves of kitchen cabinets (under the counter). I found that a herculean task. I am writing this to try to maintain some momentum. Thanks for listening.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:36 PM

68 posts, read 34,353 times
NY Flo- just take it a small project at a time. I've been decluttering for this move over the last 2 years and it STILL feels overwhelming. It helps me to document too so I'll always listen snd cheer your progress!

I packed our first 2 boxes today! I packed a big box of tshirts that I plan to have made into quilts for my 3 kids. I know it won't get done before this summer so I might as well pack them. I didnt seal it so if I get motivated, I can cut them up to save money and space. They just need a 12x12 square.

I also packed the first box of books the kids want to keep.

A lovely woman on Next Door gave me many more boxes than I was expecting and I'm thrilled! So I decided to start packing things we won't need as I am going through the rooms.

Donations collected this weekend-
Bag of extra office type supplies will be taken to school
Dried up pens and misc tossed from junk drawer
Lg 30 gal garbage bag full of my clothes
Lg 30 gal bag of D18's old clothes
Bag of 10 pairs of shoes from D18
2 boxes of bath and perfume products
Stack of older towels and sheets, I'm only keeping 2 sets per bed
Bag of cardboard to recycle
Big bag of plastic to recycle

Both D18 and D24's old bedrooms are officially cleared out!

Old 01-14-2019, 08:18 AM

Also, I find that if you consider downsizing or decluttering just part of your day, you will get farther along with it. Devote 30 minutes EVERY day to that job, whether it be packing a box, clearing out a drawer, etc., and after about a month you'll be surprised how far along you are.

Of course this only works if you have no deadline. But having no deadline usually means nothing will happen until it's frantic time.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:20 AM

67 posts, read 53,470 times
Thank you. BTW still finishing the 2 drawers from yesterday. Another complication is we have yard sales from time to time. Then I think should I just toss things or donate...or put them aside for the yard sale.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:35 PM

26,426 posts, read 62,665,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Also, I find that if you consider downsizing or decluttering just part of your day, you will get farther along with it. Devote 30 minutes EVERY day to that job, whether it be packing a box, clearing out a drawer, etc., and after about a month you'll be surprised how far along you are.

Of course this only works if you have no deadline. But having no deadline usually means nothing will happen until it's frantic time.
This is a good idea. I am going to adopt a variation of this. For me I need to make it a specific time or i will not do it. Also I cannot do it every day as some days half an hour is all the time I will have at home that day. Decluttering is important but not that important.

Sometimes it is hard to force yourself to really do it. I pulled a bunch of old suit coats out of my closet. The matching pants are long gone. I would donate these jackets to a charity. then I looked online because while in my closet it became clear i would need to buy a number of new suits this year. i discovered the brand of suit I used to buy for about $250 per suit is not in the realm of $750 per suit. Suddenly, those old jackets seemed much more useful. I can just buy some pants that coordinate with them and wear them sport coat style. I can get away with that now in my new job most of the time). So I put most of the jackets back in. Now I have added a new chore - finding pants to coordinate with my jackets and will end up adding to my closet rather than decluttering. Sigh.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:44 PM

843 posts, read 460,493 times
I cleared a bookshelf out today. Didn't realize that would happen, but I was donating audio books to my library and that one author took up the whole shelf. Then I moved stuff around to make the bookshelf look a bit neater and wound up setting aside more stuff to donate.

That one little thing made the great room feel so much lighter.

The big challenge, though, is going through all the piano music. I really don't need three copies of the same arrangement...

Old 01-18-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
This is a good idea. I am going to adopt a variation of this. For me I need to make it a specific time or i will not do it. Also I cannot do it every day as some days half an hour is all the time I will have at home that day. Decluttering is important but not that important.

Sometimes it is hard to force yourself to really do it. I pulled a bunch of old suit coats out of my closet. The matching pants are long gone. I would donate these jackets to a charity. then I looked online because while in my closet it became clear i would need to buy a number of new suits this year. i discovered the brand of suit I used to buy for about $250 per suit is not in the realm of $750 per suit. Suddenly, those old jackets seemed much more useful. I can just buy some pants that coordinate with them and wear them sport coat style. I can get away with that now in my new job most of the time). So I put most of the jackets back in. Now I have added a new chore - finding pants to coordinate with my jackets and will end up adding to my closet rather than decluttering. Sigh.
Haha. That's what happens when you think too much. That's why the movers can pack so much faster than we can - they don't think; everything just goes into a box. Cigarette ashes with the ashtray, garbage from the kitchen and bathroom wastebaskets, etc.etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues