Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2018, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,482 times

Advertisements

Looking for some insight...

I'm moving from New Port Richey, FL to Friday Harbor, WA (San Juan Island), Leaving Nov 22nd.
To get to Friday Harbor, you have to catch a 45~ min ferry from Anacortes, WA.

I have a 2018 Tundra Crewmax 4x4, and will have wife, 2 kids and a dog, so my trip time will be around 7 days. I've made this drive before by myself with no trailer, and it took about 5 days of 8-10 hours driving per day.

U-Haul wants, with insurance, $720 to rent a 6x12 for 10 days. After that, I believe it's $20 per day.
I'm seeing new 6x12 tandem axle cargo trailers for around $3300-$3600.

I would most likely resell the trailer when I arrive in WA.
I have a safe place to store it on both sides.

I've noticed trailers tend to hold value fairly well. At least in the Tampa, FL area they do.
I feel if I break even or lose $200-$300 on top of depreciation, it'd be worth just buying, so I know the shape it's in vs using U-hauls trailer. It's a long drive.

Has anyone ever done this?
How did it go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 10:28 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
I've bought several utility trailers and towed them from Arizona to Alaska. I can make quite a profit doing it. But you should be able to come out ahead by a little. And since you can store at either end, you can use them for storage as long as you need to.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:47 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongMove View Post
What sort of trailer is needed or most preferred in Anacortes?

Old 10-31-2018, 12:51 PM

219 posts, read 163,372 times
We bought a Frito Lay delivery van that we plan to use for our cross country move. We've also researched trailers. I think you can at least come out even, selling it after the move. We plan to sell the van and the trailer, if we use one.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:10 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Sometimes you can sell the trailer for close or as much as you paid depending on where you move and the demand. That said I would just rent one. It’s one less thing to deal with.
If a Uhaul trailer breaks it’s on them to fix it. If you break in your new trailer it’s on you to fix it. Sure you have a warranty. You gotta find a dealer to fix it. How long is that gonna take.

Imo. Rent it and if you have AAA get the trailer/RV coverage. If your truck breaks they will tow the trailer too

Old 11-26-2018, 10:55 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Buy a used trailer and inspect it. I bought a new trailer 20 ft from trailers plus in California. When I got to Georgia the exact same model was selling for $1000 less at the trailers plus there.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:21 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Buy a used trailer and inspect it. I bought a new trailer 20 ft from trailers plus in California. When I got to Georgia the exact same model was selling for $1000 less at the trailers plus there.

It all depends on where you're moving from and where to. Cali is always going to be a little more expensive. Add in the fact that more people are leaving than coming and you have supply and demand at work. More people are moving to Georgia than are leaving, so there is a surplus of trailers there. Same applies to Alaska. I'd lose money on buying a trailer in Alaska and selling it in America. But I'll make money when I pull one to Alaska and sell it there.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:01 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,798,591 times
I would buy and resell. I recently did just that with a a 5x8 ft utility trailer which I used to retrieve a load of stuff from storage on a 800 mile round trip. I bought it for $600 brand new, made the move then held on to it for a few months using it for a few other jobs (helped niece move, take some stuff to the landfill etc) before selling it for $580.00.

The best part was after returning with the load from storage unit I didn't have to worry about unloading the trailer right away and getting it back to the rental office. I just covered it with a big tarp until I was ready to unload it at my leisure over a couple of days.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:04 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongMove View Post

I'm moving from New Port Richey, FL to Friday Harbor, WA (San Juan Island), Leaving Nov 22nd.
To get to Friday Harbor, you have to catch a 45~ min ferry from Anacortes, WA.

I have a 2018 Tundra Crewmax 4x4, and will have wife, 2 kids and a dog, so my trip time will be around 7 days. I've made this drive before by myself with no trailer, and it took about 5 days of 8-10 hours driving per day.

U-Haul wants, with insurance, $720 to rent a 6x12 for 10 days. After that, I believe it's $20 per day.
I'm seeing new 6x12 tandem axle cargo trailers for around $3300-$3600.

I would most likely resell the trailer when I arrive in WA.
I have a safe place to store it on both sides.

I've noticed trailers tend to hold value fairly well. At least in the Tampa, FL area they do.
I feel if I break even or lose $200-$300 on top of depreciation, it'd be worth just buying, so I know the shape it's in vs using U-hauls trailer. It's a long drive.

Has anyone ever done this?
How did it go?

Why not buy a solid used one vs. new?

I have bought brand new trailers in the past that have had issues in the first few hundred miles. I had a brake part pop off one and another trailer had a bad alignment causing bad tire wear. Usually trailers are assembled using the cheapest foreign parts available to the manufacturer at the time.

Consider the Uhaul will be a dual axle, the 6X12 may or may not be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues