U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2018, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 452 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I moved to Boise from Portland during summers but now have to relocate back to Portland due to work, during the Thanksgiving break. When I moved to Boise, I just rented a 14' Uhaul and drove it myself with no issues. Now going back, I am a little concerned due to weather conditions, particularly around Columbia River Gorge area. I wanted to know if someone here has an experience moving from Boise to Portland during winters? Should I hire a moving company instead?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 02:53 PM

6,808 posts, read 2,779,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by au85 View Post
Hello,

I moved to Boise from Portland during summers but now have to relocate back to Portland due to work, during the Thanksgiving break. When I moved to Boise, I just rented a 14' Uhaul and drove it myself with no issues. Now going back, I am a little concerned due to weather conditions, particularly around Columbia River Gorge area. I wanted to know if someone here has an experience moving from Boise to Portland during winters? Should I hire a moving company instead?

Thanks!
Which side of the Gorge are you driving? On the OR side you'd be on well-maintained Interstate. Obviously on the east end its going to be drier and colder and warm up as you go west. If a big weather front is moving in from the west it could start off as rain but become icy as it reaches the eastern end. Wind can be strong, but it would be a headwind.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:37 PM

115 posts, read 49,196 times
"well maintained interstate"? You must not live in the area. I've lived all over the Gorge and done long commutes to work there. Highway 14 is actually a better road to drive, although not something you'd want to take with a moving van.

Since you will likely go I-84, https://tripcheck.com is your friend. You can see road conditions as well as webcams. Problem areas will be east of The Dalles and Troutdale when you get closer to Portland. If they shut down I-84, it's usually between Hood River and Troutdale. What you want to avoid is black ice and freezing rain. Snow is usually not too bad.

I work from home now, because I had to commute from Hood River to Vancouver and dealt with the worst storm I have ever seen. Was stuck outside of Hood River for two hours in snow and freezing rain due to a jack knifed truck. Finally got on the road and it wasn't too bad until Troutdale. Troutdale was like a skating rink. I went off the highway twice. It took over 4 hours to get home. The Gorge is truly nothing to mess around with, but most of the year, you'll be okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or