U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2018, 08:37 PM

6,821 posts, read 2,779,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejg630 View Post
Thanks. The job I would be taking is under 6c/12d retirement since it's a law enforcement position. I think law enforcement can retire at 20 years/50yo or 25 years any age right?
Not entirely sure on the details, but it is definitely sooner/younger than other civilian GS series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 04:43 AM

5,403 posts, read 5,834,561 times
Henderson is one of the safest US cities under 500,000 people though. Vegas is very safe in the good areas, if you avoid North Las Vegas and areas right around the Strip. That may depend on your financial position though. Phoenix seems fantastic as a city that has embraced many types of economic development, and I say that with the caveat that I’m a partial owner in an office complex in Phoenix I have a small investment interest for the time being in another building in Vegas but it’s not substantial. I like how diversified Phoenix is for sure but my choice of city doesn’t depend on the local economy fortunately so it’s not a real consideration but I do prefer to be close to LA for the film industry and Vegas is as close as I can get without being in that cesspool ha ha.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:59 AM

52 posts, read 18,783 times
Is Tennessee a bad place to go as a young guy? I'd be leaving a 53k a year state job with a pension here in CT to make if I am lucky 30k a year in Tennessee, no pension, and unknown on benefits.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:50 AM

10,379 posts, read 14,226,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjshaw130 View Post
Is Tennessee a bad place to go as a young guy? I'd be leaving a 53k a year state job with a pension here in CT to make if I am lucky 30k a year in Tennessee, no pension, and unknown on benefits.
I would say that depends on where in TN and more importantly what things are important to you. What is it about TN that you think will be an improvement over CT and how important to you is it?
I will warn you that it is harder to move back from a low COL area to a higher COL area, so think carefully about that before you jump feet first into a lower paying job.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:53 AM

3,867 posts, read 1,644,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjshaw130 View Post
I have a friend from Knoxville and he would have been happy to move back in his 20s. He loves the climate/mountains there. He now works for government in another state and has a really good job and is established there, so I doubt he will move for a while.

Other options would be a place like Asheville, NC... that could be more expensive though. Greenville, SC might also be a place to consider. It is artsy and has a lot of good food these days and is at the foothills of the blue ridge mountains.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:57 PM

843 posts, read 460,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejg630 View Post
Thanks. The job I would be taking is under 6c/12d retirement since it's a law enforcement position. I think law enforcement can retire at 20 years/50yo or 25 years any age right?
Right.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:09 PM

11,027 posts, read 8,447,177 times
Take the job, get a few years under your belt, transfer to a Fed job back in your home area.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:03 PM

5,403 posts, read 5,834,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Your post is just stupid. As a transplant to Philly, I really like it. Most of the people in my circle are transplants, and like it too. The example you come up with is one from 50 years ago (Santa Clause). Really? Sounds more like you're the miserable heap of garbage, not Philadelphia.
You must be right at home there with the other Philly sourpusses. Itís the people that make that place miserable, so if you look around and see people you like, uhh itís not a good statement. It means youíre one of them.

PS: To someone above that, I never said anything about liking CA. I hate that state with a passion. Way too liberal for me, I only said the weather there is better than anywhere on the Least Coast, which is true. And I feel sorry for you if you donít watch any sports and donít own a TV, Jesus your life must be incredibly boring. No sports, no video games, no TV, no movies? Just shoot me!

Old 12-16-2018, 05:43 PM

95 posts, read 26,435 times
I couldn't handle the intense-ness of the city after a while as well. It's the reason why I didn't settle back into London or KL either.

The money you can earn is just so much better than many smaller cities or regional towns, but at some stage you have to ask yourself what the cost is on your stress levels, health and family.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:42 PM

8 posts, read 1,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Western Oregon is ideal. If you live in the Willamette valley you have plenty of lakes, ponds, large rivers, small creeks, mountains not too far away, large metropolitan areas and small county towns. The weather is very benign, not too cold in the winter, usually a range of 30 to 50 F, and warm, but not blazingly hot in the summer, usually in the 80's. It does rain here though, averaging 35" a year, mostly in the spring and winter. The fall of the year can be a beautiful time, warm, but you can feel the change. We also don't have Hurricanes or Tornadoes.

We've been here for 40 plus years. I don't ever want to move.

I was going to say Oregon as well but def not the Willamette valley I lived there for almost 5 years a lot of the towns are infested with tweekers/druggies I mean to the point they are noticeable in town and steel everything that's not tied down for their drugs and some stuff that is tied down..its got a huge meth prob sadly..the winters are def mild but the summers were getting brutal we had like 2 month's of 90 degree weather for like the last 3 years if you like it hot then its for you..I would maybe suggest looking on the coast or outside of the valley maybe near or north of Portland? seams like no one talks about the druggies when they mention Oregon *shrugs* im glad we moved state but I do miss the nature of it very gorgeous state just wish they would clean it up a little..oh and be prepared to pay a lot for rent like 1200--1500 for a basic 2 bed one bath duplex nothing included..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or