Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 11:05 AM

341 posts, read 672,189 times

Advertisements

Hello......I thought I would ask how many people have driven across country, or even half the country. I am wanting to especially target females but absolutely want male input also.
I am looking for the most logical safety tips, to more subtle safety tips.....if anyone can add to this please let me now.

1. Map out trip
2. Make sure to arrive to motel/hotel at least an hour before dark
3. DO NOT DRIVE AT NIGHT.....
4. Make sure to have car super super inspected prior to leaving, even with this done...never know,,,,,,
5. Make sure AAA card is ACTIVE! and fullly covered.
6. Weapon......?? This question is very subjective.
7. Make sure to let friends and family (at both sides, where you came from and where you are going) know daily where you are....
8. Make sure your cell # does not go dead.
9. STAY OFF LONG DESOLATE ROADS....LIKE IN THE DESERT, SO YOU DO NOT FEEL LIKE YOU ARE ENTERING A STEPHEN KING MOVIE.
10. Have plenty of water....
11. Do not have luggage etc staked so high that other travelers can see that you look like you are traveling...as opposed to normal driver.....
12. Lastly, I am going to go to AAA as I am a member and ask them for best route from Los Angeles to northeast......mainly I am concerned with the best route to take from L.A. to Chicago....avoiding long desert roads.....want to travel the roads with many people on them.......nicely patrolled by police etc.

How to avoid being targeted??????????????

I am woman (middle aged) traveling alone. Traveling from west coast to east coast. I have done this before, coast to coast.....but I was not ALONE!! My car is an older car.....

Thank you for any input or first hand experience.....

Old 09-23-2013, 11:29 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
Stay on the Interstates and only pull into rest stops that have plenty of people there or only use the gas stations right next to the interstates for pit stops. I just drive from eastern NC to Denver and back as was never alone as far as traffic and during pit stops. We stopped at motels right at dusk except for when we got into Denver. The big thing is to have a reliable vehicle. If you don't have one then rent one.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:55 AM

341 posts, read 672,189 times
Thank you kindly.........

Old 09-23-2013, 12:04 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
You have an older car so I would get it checked out thoroughly before driving it that far. And if you question it's reliability, you can always ship it and rent a car for the drive.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:14 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
If you are that worried, sell the old car, UPS stuff, fly to destination, buy newer car when you get there.

Besides that, best route will depend on time of year.

If summer, clear weather then I-15>I-70>I-76>I-80 best way LA>Chicago
if winter, bad weather, then I-15>I-40>I-44>I-55 = south rte to Chicago (route can be really hot in summer)

Just stay on the Interstates, they are all heavily traveled by people just like yourself. Just remember all the rules your parents taught about strangers ;-)

Old 09-23-2013, 05:25 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,440 times
I'd be careful about carrying a weapon. You don't want to be stopped by some out of state police and have them find some kind of concealed weapon in your car. That could cause all sorts of problems.

My Cousin Vinney and Return to Macon County come to mind.....

Old 09-23-2013, 05:44 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
AAA will know the rules in each state for concealed weapons. I understand your fears. Maybe get a dummy blowup to make it look like you are not alone. When I am traveling alone, I don't use rest stops that are isolated. Buy a drink at McDonald's and use the restroom there or stop for gas, but be sure you are the only person to open your car hood and pump your own gas. Learn to check your own oil. AAA has centers to stop at in a lot of towns. Maybe ask for a list.

My husband makes me promise to be in my room locked up before dark with drinks and snacks in case the urge for food happens. If service comes to your door call the desk before opening the door while they are still on the line. Check the locks on the windows in your room. I have found windows unlocked.

Trust your instincts. If it feels unsafe, it may be. Don't worry about being rude. Say you have to go because your husband is expecting you. Separate the money in your handbag so you only show what you are using. Take off any expensive jewelry. Big rings are sometimes visible when you are driving.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:55 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,458,699 times
Gun permits don't usually allow you to carry over state lines unless you have one that specifically says it's OK.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-23-2013, 06:20 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,440 times
I should add that the AAA is probably the best advice. They can map out a route for you (or they used to). We also plan to move and drive across country. I will plan out how far to drive, where to stop and I'll have hotel reservations already set up along the way.

I did this years ago before cell phones and it always worked out well. Plan a reasonable distance and you won't get tired. In this age of smartphones, it easier. If you run into any problems, you can always call and cancel the reservation. Most hotels allow you to cancel up to a certain time the same day without penalty.

By making reservations ahead of time, you get good internet rates and save money.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:26 PM

3,306 posts, read 8,559,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
Gun permits don't usually allow you to carry over state lines unless you have one that specifically says it's OK.

Posted with TapaTalk
Not really true. Many states have reciprocal agreements with each other if you have a concealed carry license. You just need to make sure which states don't have reciprocal agreements with your state and avoid those ones!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues