U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2018, 05:44 PM

273 posts, read 109,058 times

Advertisements

Is it common to hire professional packers to come in and finish packing a week ahead of time? (we will have done the bulk of the stuff, but want professional packers to do the TVs, Christmas tree, decorative stuff, i.e. hard to pack because of shape, size etc.,)

What I am thinking is having someone come in approximately a week before our move and professionally pack and finish the odd stuff. Then hire another professional crew to come a day or two later to load the U-Pack, Pods, etc. whatever we decide to use for our long distance move.

We can then take off across country to our new home and they will drop off the pods, trailer and we will hire people to unload at that end for unloading and setting up beds, placing dressers, couch and other furniture as needed. This will be minimal since we really aren't taking that much furniture that will need to be placed.

As we have never done this before just want confirmation that this is a reasonable plan.

We have a temporary place to stay at both ends so having an empty house before or after the move won't be a problem, if that becomes an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 04:41 PM

7,745 posts, read 9,047,244 times
If you have the small fortune needed to move and pack go for it.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:47 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,420,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4khansen View Post
Is it common to hire professional packers to come in and finish packing a week ahead of time? (we will have done the bulk of the stuff, but want professional packers to do the TVs, Christmas tree, decorative stuff, i.e. hard to pack because of shape, size etc.,)

What I am thinking is having someone come in approximately a week before our move and professionally pack and finish the odd stuff. Then hire another professional crew to come a day or two later to load the U-Pack, Pods, etc. whatever we decide to use for our long distance move.

We can then take off across country to our new home and they will drop off the pods, trailer and we will hire people to unload at that end for unloading and setting up beds, placing dressers, couch and other furniture as needed. This will be minimal since we really aren't taking that much furniture that will need to be placed.

As we have never done this before just want confirmation that this is a reasonable plan.

We have a temporary place to stay at both ends so having an empty house before or after the move won't be a problem, if that becomes an issue.
Not very common, unless its really a lot of stuff. Remember, they do packing etc for a living.

Usually packing and loading is done the same day by one 2-3 person crew, with maybe 2 packing while 1 loads. If you have a scheduling issue, then at least the same outfit should do both.

But do what ever you need to, and can afford, to feel comfortable that your move goes well.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:08 AM

2,303 posts, read 1,164,602 times
We packed everything ourselves, but hired a couple of movers to load the truck. It was well worth it.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:00 PM

8,856 posts, read 7,978,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
We packed everything ourselves, but hired a couple of movers to load the truck. It was well worth it.

This is the most likely route for us, too. We'll use the movers to get the stuff that's too big for my wife to help me with.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:11 PM

361 posts, read 238,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4khansen View Post

We did this. The same company packed and then came back and loaded.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:04 PM

2,601 posts, read 5,300,509 times
If you are hiring someone to pack they will not need a week. One, two days tops.

Last time I moved I packed most of the stuff, had the moving company pack only the kitchen.

As you describe it- if something is broken- there are at least three different groups of people to point fingers at each other.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:33 AM

273 posts, read 109,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
If you are hiring someone to pack they will not need a week. One, two days tops.

Last time I moved I packed most of the stuff, had the moving company pack only the kitchen.

As you describe it- if something is broken- there are at least three different groups of people to point fingers at each other.
I agree that if something is broken, who gets blamed? Thankfully, not much of our stuff that could get broken or damaged has that much value (in my eyes) and literally no sentimental value. If it were me moving by myself, I would sell much more of our furniture (a lot of it circa 1980s, albeit in great shape) and maybe just take the mattress sets and buy new stuff at the other end -- but my wife has a lot of pull lol.

We will use this advice from everyone, get a packing and loading company to come -- maybe packing a day or two ahead and then loading before the U-Pack truck or Pods or whatever we use is picked up and delivered cross country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or