Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 09:32 AM

561 posts, read 324,215 times

Advertisements

I hope to. We just bought a house in Northwest Arkansas with the intention of retiring there in 10 to 15 years. We've been told more than once by people that had the same plan that we might full time move sooner than we think!!! We live in Minnesota so the idea of 4 more moderate seasons seems like heaven!!! Yes, I know they get hot humid summers but we do deal with temps in the high 90's or 100's here with 100% humidity so I'm not concerned with that. It's the blizzards and weeks of not getting out of negative temperatures that we're looking to leave behind!

Old 12-07-2018, 08:47 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,934,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
Wherever you have visted for short vacations, did you end up moving there? Or was the feeling short lived after returning home?
Nope. I'm on vacation and then go back to reality. I grew up in a tourist destination and saw many people move and fail.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:17 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,266,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Or ...did you split the difference and move to an actual city (with/for all those services and amenities)
but choose a city that is NEAR where you vacationed before?

If that were the question... I'd say yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoAY6BlXh4o

Link to a bunch more video's: https://tinyurl.com/y9jbghmt
I rode the entire length of Skyline Drive on my bike a few years ago. It's fun for a while but it gets tiresome soon. All those turns. Turned around at the Blue Ridge entrance.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:17 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,632,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Sort of! I had been vacationing in Las Vegas for years and originally had 2 uncles and an aunt here. By the time I actually got to move here my uncles had died and my aunt moved to Arizona. I wanted to retire in Las Vegas because of the low COL and the weather. You don't have to shovel sunshine!
Same here! Haha I have two aunts and two uncles in Vegas, so my dad’s sister and one brother plus their two spouses. I have visited Vegas probably about 20 times and it has always seemed magical to me, I just love the city, and I don’t gamble or drink anymore so those don’t factor in at all. Nowhere else can you find such an abundance of world class restaurants and entertainment in such a small area and some of the coolest, most astounding architecture.

I first wanted to move to Vegas in a serious fashion about 9-10 years ago when I was living in LA for film. I always assumed I’d just be stuck in LA forever so no use thinking of anywhere else. Until I realized I don’t need to live in LA for film, I can just visit, I already had established my knowledge and company and film career, so I didn’t see any point in staying since I was sick of it. I sold my condo for a smaller, cheaper condo further south and was going to use that as my outpost but temporary live there until this deal closed and I bought my primary residence on the Las Vegas Strip. But that summer while taking a vacation back home for much of the summer, I met my dream girl and I ended up renting an apartment back home and being stuck there for 7+ long years. A place I hate way more than LA lol but finally convinced my GF that Vegas is the place we should be and fits our personalities the best.

Now I’m intending to make the move next year but again waiting for a deal to close (March) that solidifies the move this time for real. Ironically by this point we both consider the Strip a bonus and a great part of the city but not something we are overly concerned about either. I like it being there, but I am sure I’ll only go once or twice a month and it’ll be mainly for Knights games. It’s the weather, no income taxes, low traffic, and better quality of people that I’m most excited about combined with not such a sleepy city where things are actually open late or always. Even as someone who no longer drinks, I think the idea that alcohol should not be served 24 hours a day is offensive and a violation of basic principles of a free society. Business should determine in their sole discretion when to serve alcohol, not the government; it’s none of their business. I have little tolerance for laws that aren’t libertarian leaning and Nevada comes the closest to what a real US state should be.

PS: These types of moves depend on your work or plan as well. I have no doubt moving to Vegas and working a dead end job on the Strip could crush any illusions you had real fast, but I’m long past financially independent and even my company is based in LA, closer to Vegas than where I already live, but it’s more or less passive income. I don’t do much for the money at this point in time, so I’m free from having to worry about anything economy related in Vegas except being happy for the low minimum wage so I can hire cheaper housekeeping lol.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:13 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I rode the entire length of Skyline Drive on my bike a few years ago.
It's fun for a while but it gets tiresome soon. All those turns.
It's better on an actual motorcycle.
You know... something designed around enjoying all those turns.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:19 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
No, but I moved to a place that is a vacation spot within 30 minutes of a place I’d vacationed a few times before. I drove through, thought I wanted to move there, and when a job opportunity opened up at a prior employer, I bought a condo in that area. I absolutely loved it there, but unfortunately the job opportunities in the adjacent city were poor and I ended up moving around 4 years later. It was in a hurricane evacuation zone, so I knew my time was limited regardless. People have to evacuate every time since it is on a barrier island. I am glad I did it though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues