Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 08:24 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
Forwarding mail applies to all mail.

Not quite. I've never had junk mail forwarded. First class mail is forwarded for a year on a permanent address change. Magazines for 60 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 12:14 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
The fun part is marketers become aware that there is a new guy in town and you get even even more junk mail aka special offers at the new address. So nice to be a target. Not

Old 12-30-2018, 06:16 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,125,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
Forwarding mail applies to all mail.

Not really. Some of my utility bills from my previous address (still own the home) don't get forwarded. I had to call and give them a new forwarding address. My property tax bill was not forwarded, had to call about that one too.
There are some mail pieces that are marked to return to sender and not forward.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:52 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Not quite. I've never had junk mail forwarded. First class mail is forwarded for a year on a permanent address change. Magazines for 60 days.
Most commercial mailers send out a percentage of their advertising first class or leave off the "or current resident" endorsement and pay a premium over the bulk mail rate to get your new address. Carriers who see it everyday will recognize the forwarding service, electronic service or return service endorsements on the mailing. Some are forwarded for others the service sells your new address, if a permanent change of address, to the sender.

If they stop getting responses from those who used to respond you can be sure that they will spend a bit more and change the class of mail for a few pieces to get the information that you are not responding because you are no longer at the address that they have on you in their database.

And occasionally mail that is not supposed to be forwarded is missed by the carrier at the new address, the carrier from the original address who sent it to their central forwarding unit and the clerk at that unit who forwards the mail, or returns it to the sender, instead of sending it back to the original carrier to dispose of properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues