U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 02:59 AM

43 posts, read 67,865 times

Advertisements

I am moving to a new state and was thinking not changing my address via USPS for the sole reason of avoiding junk mail

I am under the assumption that the change of address via USPS only allows them to redirect mail, am i correct? The senders of junk mail will not get a notification from USPS about my new address?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 03:18 AM

33,834 posts, read 41,892,438 times
Umm, so called "junk mail" is mail. How do you define "junk mail"?

Catalogues from retailers you've done business with? Those will get your new address sooner or later.

Local ad sheets? They're usually addressed to " Occupant " or some variation.

Bills?

https://www.doityourself.com/stry/mailforwardingqanda

Old 12-18-2018, 08:02 AM

2,524 posts, read 984,931 times
In my experience when I have NOT submitted COA I did NOT receive the junk mail (addressed to me but still did receive those addressed to "resident) and when I DID submit one, I did.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:09 AM

22,098 posts, read 9,380,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxhaxorz View Post
I am moving to a new state and was thinking not changing my address via USPS for the sole reason of avoiding junk mail

I am under the assumption that the change of address via USPS only allows them to redirect mail, am i correct? The senders of junk mail will not get a notification from USPS about my new address?
There are organizations you can register--some charge a small fee--like $10--to stop your junk mail. You can also permanently opt out from credit card junk.

https://www.directmail.com/mail_preference/

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...alls-and-email

Old 12-18-2018, 01:10 PM

6,819 posts, read 2,779,636 times
Quote:

Depends on the class by which the mail was being sent to you. First class ("real" mail like correspondence, bills, etc) is forwarded for a year. Second class (magazine/newspaper subscriptions) for 60 days. Other classes of mail (book rate) may not be forwarded unless you specifically direct it to be. Unsolicited mail (aka "junk" mail like ads, catalogs, political and charity money pleas) isn't forwarded, but those sources tend to get your mailing address so quickly and from so many sources you may not notice any difference in how often you get them. The previous residents at your new address might actually be getting them anyway. Look at the addressing label. You'd be surprised how often it isn't even you. I've found the worst offenders are"non-profit" political organizations. They are sort of one step removed from commercial junk and can find you even after you're dead.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-18-2018 at 01:45 PM..

Old 12-18-2018, 05:08 PM

1,143 posts, read 334,233 times
Some of the junk mail has a request on the front of the envelope requesting any address change. Then the PO provides it to them for a charge.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:00 PM

43 posts, read 67,865 times
Yes the link that was posted above https://www.doityourself.com/stry/mailforwardingqanda specifically states:

For permanent moves, mail marked "Do Not Forward" is returned to the sender along with your new address information; however, if your move is only temporary, meaning that you'll be returning home in less than 12 months, this mail is returned to the sender without your new address information. Temporary movers must notify their mailers directly to inform them of their new address.

So i guess that is why the 2nd poster noticed junk mail with a COA, guess i will just manually notify all the companies i work with and not file a COA, hopefully reducing junk mail

Old 12-19-2018, 01:21 AM

7,102 posts, read 4,037,600 times
You can change your address either temporarily or permanently with USPS. Either way, junk mail is not forwarded. The only thing I get forwarded is first class mail and magazines.

Old 12-23-2018, 04:59 AM

28,396 posts, read 61,765,972 times
Quote:
The senders of junk mail will not get a notification from USPS about my new address?
Nope.It might take a while for them all, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=242H7F8DKHA

Old 12-29-2018, 09:56 AM

569 posts, read 247,918 times
Forwarding mail applies to all mail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or